Author Topic: Paul Ryan names top aides  (Read 3716 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Paul Ryan names top aides
« on: October 30, 2015, 05:07:44 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/258648-ryan-names-top-aides

By Scott Wong - 10/30/15 10:00 AM EDT

Newly elected House Speaker Paul Ryan said Friday he would turn to close aides to advise him in the Speaker's Office.

Joyce Meyer, Ryan's staff director at the Ways and Means Committee the Wisconsin Republican led, will be deputy chief of staff, while Austin Smythe, another close aide, will be policy director.

Brendan Buck, a former press secretary to Ryan's predecessor, former Rep. John Boehner (R-Ohio), and later communications director for Ryan on Ways and Means, will have the title of chief communications adviser.

Ryan previously announced that David Hoppe, a Washington lobbyist who served as chief of staff to former Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott (R-Miss.), would be Ryan's chief of staff in the Speaker's office.

“It's a new day in the House, and this new team will help drive a different kind of speakership," Ryan said in a statement. "They all have my full confidence and a deep understanding of this institution. I know they will serve the House and its members well." 
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: Paul Ryan names top aides
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 03:29:19 am »
David Hoppe is a great addition.  He has been a strong advocate for the Trans-Pacific Partnership, the US Chamber of Commerce, and immigration reform.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 03:35:43 am »
David Hoppe is a great addition.  He has been a strong advocate for the Trans-Pacific Partnership, the US Chamber of Commerce, and immigration reform.

Exactly what the majority of us DON'T want!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 03:35:59 am »

New boss, same as the old boss.  8888crybaby  maybe without the tears...

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 03:37:12 am »
New boss, same as the old boss.  8888crybaby  maybe without the tears...

Yep!  :beer:

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 03:53:04 am »
Oh.  Then I guess you're not going to be happy with Boehner's replacement, because he is for free trade, commerce, and immigration reform.  I don't understand why everyone was so happy to see Boehner go then. 

Better luck next time.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 03:55:19 am »
Well, what is, is. Isn't it?  I'm gonna let it play out.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 03:59:01 am »
Oh.  Then I guess you're not going to be happy with Boehner's replacement, because he is for free trade, commerce, and immigration reform.  I don't understand why everyone was so happy to see Boehner go then. 

Better luck next time.

He can't do anything by himself so I guess he will do just like his mentor Boner and turn to the Democrats for help!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 04:10:37 am »
He can't do anything by himself so I guess he will do just like his mentor Boner and turn to the Democrats for help!
If all the Freedumb caucus has to offer is obstruction, I am sure you are correct.

The House is broken. We are not solving problems. We are adding to them. And I am not interested in laying blame. We are not settling scores. We are wiping the slate clean. - Speaker Paul Ryan

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/paul-ryan-elected-speaker-transcript-full-text-215351

Offline Paladin

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 05:33:52 am »

Better luck next time.

Once-ler, words cannot describe how pleased I am you are a supporter of the such statists as Ryan. Things like that constitute very reliable bellwether into which is the proper direction in politics.

Thanks.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 05:41:10 am »
Once-ler, words cannot describe how pleased I am you are a supporter of the such statists as Ryan. Things like that constitute very reliable bellwether into which is the proper direction in politics.

Thanks.

You are welcome, and my condolences that your guy couldn't beat a man who didn't even want the job. 

Gosh!  I'm a bellwether...and my daddy didn't think I'd ever amount to anything.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 03:26:34 pm »
I think many here should go back into BR history and read the comments left here when Romney selected Ryan, especially after the great speech Ryan gave right after. Romney haters were now on board, and there seemed to be a consensus here that Romney made a very wise choice. There was zero talk of Ryan being too liberal. Some calling him a deficit hawk. There was the same enthusiasm over on the conservative talk radio world as well.

What's changed?  Are you who don't like Ryan influenced by your own findings or by the comments of others?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 03:27:58 pm by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline libertybele

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2015, 03:36:09 pm »
I think many here should go back into BR history and read the comments left here when Romney selected Ryan, especially after the great speech Ryan gave right after. Romney haters were now on board, and there seemed to be a consensus here that Romney made a very wise choice. There was zero talk of Ryan being too liberal. Some calling him a deficit hawk. There was the same enthusiasm over on the conservative talk radio world as well.

What's changed?  Are you who don't like Ryan influenced by your own findings or by the comments of others?

I didn't belong to this forum back then; but I for one thought that Romney made a huge mistake in selecting Ryan and should have gone with someone more conservative. I had no problem voting for Romney and Ryan over Obama and Biden, but I think selecting Ryan cost Romney the election. As "speaker" I think we could have done a lot better than Ryan.  Time will tell of course, but I'm not expecting anything much from Ryan to help the GOP.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 03:37:45 pm »

Time. Time in congress has defeated (weakened) so, so, many initially "principled" conservatives.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 03:43:57 pm »

I arrived here right in the middle of all that but don't recall ever endorsing Paul Ryan in any shape, form, or manner.

And for whatever it's worth, Mitt Romney was NOT my first, second or even third choice for the presidential nomination as I knew he was not a conservative.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 03:45:49 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2015, 03:49:52 pm »
I didn't belong to this forum back then; but I for one thought that Romney made a huge mistake in selecting Ryan and should have gone with someone more conservative. I had no problem voting for Romney and Ryan over Obama and Biden, but I think selecting Ryan cost Romney the election. As "speaker" I think we could have done a lot better than Ryan.  Time will tell of course, but I'm not expecting anything much from Ryan to help the GOP.

LOL!!  Selecting Ryan didn't cost Romney the election.   Romney cost Romney the election, and the ahole evangelicals who stayed home rather than vote for a Mormon.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2015, 03:52:51 pm »
LOL!!  Selecting Ryan didn't cost Romney the election.   Romney cost Romney the election, and the ahole evangelicals who stayed home rather than vote for a Mormon.

That's spin. How can you with precision separate that out from 'other' as the reason Romney lost?

Offline Longiron

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2015, 04:36:57 pm »

The RINOGOP Bigun still has not received the memo??? New boss the same as the old boss ONLY worst! 8888crybaby

Offline flowers

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2015, 05:33:04 pm »
yep

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2015, 06:29:14 pm »
I arrived here right in the middle of all that but don't recall ever endorsing Paul Ryan in any shape, form, or manner.

And for whatever it's worth, Mitt Romney was NOT my first, second or even third choice for the presidential nomination as I knew he was not a conservative.
I believe that no candidate that you would classify and define as "conservative" can win the Presidency.

This is not 1980, none of these people have been preparing for the election for 16 years, none of these people come close to Reagan's attractiveness, and the electorate has changed.

Oh, and by the time Reagan was finished he had committed what would today be fatal mistakes in terms of true conservatism by contemporary definitions. Amnesty being one.

If Cruz gets the nomination (highly improbable) he will be lucky to win ten states, in landslide defeat.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline libertybele

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2015, 06:57:45 pm »
I believe that no candidate that you would classify and define as "conservative" can win the Presidency.

This is not 1980, none of these people have been preparing for the election for 16 years, none of these people come close to Reagan's attractiveness, and the electorate has changed.

Oh, and by the time Reagan was finished he had committed what would today be fatal mistakes in terms of true conservatism by contemporary definitions. Amnesty being one.

If Cruz gets the nomination (highly improbable) he will be lucky to win ten states, in landslide defeat.

Ok.    :thud:    :silly:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2015, 07:01:47 pm »

I believe you are completely wrong and fully intend to do everything I possibly can to prove it.

I also believe that the fact that you live in California - a state that has gone so far to the left in recent times that it is in danger of falling off the edge of the earth - clouds your vision greatly.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 07:12:23 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2015, 07:56:56 pm »
Rush Limbaugh Aug 2012
“I don't recall a vice presidential pick which has so energized the party.  I don't remember a vice presidential pick that has so energized a campaign as this choice of Paul Ryan.
These crowds, these standing-room-only crowds, the enthusiasm at these rallies, something about this, just a gut feeling I have. I don't want to attach too much to it because it was gonna happen anyway, a vice presidential pick, but I've been thinking about this all weekend long. I go back and forth, the positives, the negatives, the strict political science analysis of it.  Then you compare that with just the gut feel, and you come away with... at least I have come away with the following conclusion.  This is it.  This election, we've said it before and others have said it, but this is ball game.”

Again I ask, What's changed since 2012?  Paul Ryan was the conservative darling a few years ago when he gave that great speech in Norfolk, Virginia, in front of the USS Wisconsin. I think the Paul Ryan haters are not being  influenced by their  own findings but by the comments of others? Others on the forum call him another RINO and you just in lock step fall into the parade.
Well then I ask you – if Not Paul Ryan then who?   Who is conservative enough for you? – and it must be someone that wants the position?
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2015, 08:40:31 pm »
Rush Limbaugh Aug 2012
“I don't recall a vice presidential pick which has so energized the party.  I don't remember a vice presidential pick that has so energized a campaign as this choice of Paul Ryan.
These crowds, these standing-room-only crowds, the enthusiasm at these rallies, something about this, just a gut feeling I have. I don't want to attach too much to it because it was gonna happen anyway, a vice presidential pick, but I've been thinking about this all weekend long. I go back and forth, the positives, the negatives, the strict political science analysis of it.  Then you compare that with just the gut feel, and you come away with... at least I have come away with the following conclusion.  This is it.  This election, we've said it before and others have said it, but this is ball game.”

Again I ask, What's changed since 2012?  Paul Ryan was the conservative darling a few years ago when he gave that great speech in Norfolk, Virginia, in front of the USS Wisconsin. I think the Paul Ryan haters are not being  influenced by their  own findings but by the comments of others? Others on the forum call him another RINO and you just in lock step fall into the parade.
Well then I ask you – if Not Paul Ryan then who?   Who is conservative enough for you? – and it must be someone that wants the position?

Why belabor the subject?  Paul Ryan IS Speaker and we are going to live with that regardless. 

I sincerely hope he turns out  to be the best Speaker ever but I'm not about to hold my breath waiting for that result.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 08:41:47 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2015, 08:43:42 pm »
I believe you are completely wrong and fully intend to do everything I possibly can to prove it.

I also believe that the fact that you live in California - a state that has gone so far to the left in recent times that it is in danger of falling off the edge of the earth - clouds your vision greatly.
Let me flip it over, and say I believe that you, living in Texas, lack an unbiased view of the entire nation. The GOP has LOST the national popular vote 5 of the last 6 times, AND demographics are working against it as well.

California is the direction the nation is heading. I am not defending that. Merely pointing out the truth.

I predict the GOP will lose both the Presidency and the Senate majority. Part of the reason will be forgetfulness of their post 2012 "autopsy" wherein they admitted they needed more Hispanic and other minority voters. Yet today when reading forums, it is all in favor of expecting to get a higher percent of whites, who are a declining fraction of the whole.

The GOP remains the circular firing squad, the stupid party. One day they love Ryan and Paul and Rubio, soon thereafter they demean them. It happens over and over, and it illustrates an unrealistic view of our society, and how it is governed.

It is the GOP that is moving away from the voters, not the opposite.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln