Author Topic: Newt Gingrich: Paul Ryan's Speakership Will Be 'Historic'  (Read 3336 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Newt Gingrich: Paul Ryan's Speakership Will Be 'Historic'
« on: October 29, 2015, 08:42:18 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/newt-gingrich-paul-ryan-speaker-house/2015/10/29/id/699656/

Newsmax
Newt Gingrich: Paul Ryan's Speakership Will Be 'Historic'
Thursday, October 29, 2015 03:01 PM

By: Sandy Fitzgerald

Paul Ryan is the youngest speaker of the House in 100 years, former Speaker Newt Gingrich noted Thursday, and he believes Ryan's tenure will mark a shift in the House that will be quickly noticed.

"Last night, you had two 44-year-old candidates for president, and the other party, in their debate, had five really old people," Gingrich told Fox News' "Outnumbered" program. "Think about how the shift is occurring, and how different it is."

He told the program that "Ryan is the best policy developer" among House Republicans, and has been working since 2008 to create a pro-growth legislature.

"He wants a pro-growth, balanced budget, entitlement reform future so his children and grandchildren have a better future," said Gingrich. Further, Ryan did not seek the job, but "the job sought him," and he believes Ryan is the one lawmaker who can pull the party together, but "he'll have to work seven days a week to do that."

But as Ryan has said he does not want the job to overly interfere with family time, Gingrich said he hopes the new speaker can do many of his job duties from home.

"[John] Boehner was on the road a lot because he raised money at golf courses, because he likes to golf and big donors like to be with him," Gingrich said. "Ryan starts with a nationwide fundraising base that grew out of his vice-presidential campaign."

And with social media, Ryan has the potential to be everywhere. Gingrich said he hopes the new speaker will open an office in his hometown of Jamestown, Wis., where he can do a great deal of work but still have family time with his three children.

Meanwhile, Gingrich said the House is "in transition" and reflects the politics of outsiders like GOP candidates Donald Trump, Carly Fiorina and Ted Cruz.

"This whole turmoil in the long run will lead to a much more open House with a much younger leadership that is really trying to solve problems," said Gingrich. "The Senate is going to be interesting to watch because the Senate, as it should be under our Constitution, is a much slower institution with many more blocks against change."

But the change won't happen overnight, he emphasized, and Ryan will have to play catch-up to build his team.

"He is so smart and so engaging that I have zero doubt over the next six or eight weeks you will see a totally new tone in the House, a much more open House," said Gingrich.

"The Ryan speakership, I think, will be very historic."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Re: Newt Gingrich: Paul Ryan's Speakership Will Be 'Historic'
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 11:20:26 pm »
"The Ryan Speakership will be historic" ...that's what I'm afraid of.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 11:55:39 pm »
Well, he probably has about 90 days to show he has learned the job.... after that we may be right back here...

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 12:03:51 am »

I once proudly the wore the mantle of the "Nastiest Poster on GBR" but I humbly yield that honor to you.

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 12:05:12 am »
Well, he probably has about 90 days to show he has learned the job.... after that we may be right back here...

Or you'll do what?  Ryan's the Speaker for as long as the GOP holds the House.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 12:07:16 am »
I once proudly the wore the mantle of the "Nastiest Poster on GBR" but I humbly yield that honor to you.

Your record's safe with me  :beer:

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 12:08:11 am »
Or you'll do what?  Ryan's the Speaker for as long as the GOP holds the House.

Are you accusing me of threatening someone?
Ryan will be speaker as long as the republicans control the house and as long as they decide he should stay.
It has nothing to do with me....

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 12:26:03 am »
Your record's safe with me  :beer:

Thank you. But my cynicism is puny next to libertybele's.   All but 9 of the Freedom Caucus members voted for Paul Ryan, but she's still a holdout.

No wonder she supports Ted Cruz.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 12:37:03 am »

Nah! You earned it fair and square! Wear it with pride!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 12:40:38 am »
Think the author meant "histrionic"....not historic.    :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 12:53:48 am »
Thank you. But my cynicism is puny next to libertybele's.   All but 9 of the Freedom Caucus members voted for Paul Ryan, but she's still a holdout.

No wonder she supports Ted Cruz.
Narrow but loud. With all of the political good judgment, of McGovern and Goldwater supporters. (Nice men, WWII veterans, btw)

The idea of coming away from the extremes increases chances to win and therefore to actually govern escapes them.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 12:59:19 am »
Fearless prediction:

Paul Ryan as Speaker is going to sell conservatives (and Americans) down the river so fast it will leave head's spinnin' and John Boehner swimmin' in his wake!

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 12:59:31 am »
Narrow but loud. With all of the political good judgment, of McGovern and Goldwater supporters. (Nice men, WWII veterans, btw)

The idea of coming away from the extremes increases chances to win and therefore to actually govern escapes them.

"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightening. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its waters. This struggle may be a moral one; or it may be a physical one; or it may be both moral and physical; but it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did, and it never will. Find out just what a people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."

Frederick Douglass August 4, 1857

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 01:08:10 am »

Exactly what is so positive about Ryan as Speaker given his past track record ... or perhaps you just don't like the truth.  As for you being humble ... now that's a complete riot!    :silly:

Ryan at a Glance

Rep. Paul Ryan was elected to the House of Representatives in 1998.  Since his arrival in the House, he has been regarded by many as a rising star in a new generation of conservatives.  However, his voting record as well as behind-the-scenes backing of an establishment agenda, reveals that he is one of the more moderate members of the House Republican Conference.

Before he ran for office, Ryan worked for Republicans Sen. Bob Kasten and Rep. Jack Kemp. He joined Empower America, a think-tank formed by Rep. Kemp and William Bennett, and became legislative director for Kansas Senator Sam Brownback. He then went home to Wisconsin where he won a seat in the House of Representatives at the age of 28. (National Journal)

Ryan positioned himself as a leading conservative voice on fiscal and economic issues during his tenure as chairman of the House Budget Committee. His budget plan, the Path to Prosperity, “called for freezing most domestic spending for five years and repealing the economic stimulus law in the course of cutting spending more than $6 trillion over 10 years, shrinking federal spending as a percentage of the economy to its lowest level since 1949.” (National Journal) The plan proved controversial with Democrats and the media, who took particular issue with the budget’s plan to eventually replace Medicare with a subsidy that used free market forces to drive down the cost while raising the level of care. (National Journal)

In the wake of his budget passing the House and promoting a more conservative roadmap for the nation’s fiscal future, Ryan was chosen by Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney as his running mate. Ryan was selected with the goal of brining a more conservative approach to balance out Romney’s moderate policies, and provide a more youthful demeanor to challenge President Obama, despite Ryan’s voting record. (Washington Post) While the ticket lost in the general election, Ryan was viewed as an asset to Romney’s efforts, providing substance on the campaign trail, reaching out to conservatives while staying loyal to Romney’s talking points.

After the election, Ryan returned to the House and pursued what was supposed to be a more pragmatic approach to policy, that moved Ryan closer to the center.  He said that the presidential election reminded him that "[t]he Electoral College matters. That's what I learned." (National Journal) Ryan seemed to be increasingly concerned with creating a more geographically broad base for Republicans and his voting record tracked more to the middle.  In December 2013, he helped broker a budget deal with liberal Senator Patty Murray that repealed one of the key conservative victories under President Obama’s reign—the sequester budget caps that helped keep spending in check. The Ryan-Murray budget increased fees, and claimed to reduce the deficit in the final years of the 10-year plan, making it unlikely that said reductions would ever be realized. (FreedomWorks) Simplified, Ryan-Murray was trading real spending cuts occurring at the time, for increased spending and spending cuts in future years, which are unlikely to materialize.

In the 114th Congress, Rep. Ryan became chairman of the powerful House Ways and Means Committee, where he plans to “fix the tax code, hold the I-R-S [sic] accountable, strengthen Medicare and Social Security, repair the safety net, promote job-creating trade agreements, and determine how best to repeal and replace Obama-care with patient-centered solutions." (The Drive FM) He has announced that he would not run for president in 2016, choosing instead to devote his efforts in the House to leading the Ways and Means Committee. (FoxNews)

Reflecting his recent move toward the political center, Rep. Ryan has earned a poor Liberty Score.

There can be no doubt that some of Ryan’s prominent entitlement reform efforts—such as the introduction of the Medicare “premium support” proposal that garnered national attention during the 2012 election—have helped conservative solutions enter the forefront of political debate. He has similar success in landing a media spotlight on conservative welfare reform proposals, helping to jumpstart a conversation about the untenable state of spending in these areas. Nonetheless, these contributions to the mainstream dialogue do not excuse his often patently liberal votes. While championing fiscal sanity from his perch on Budget Committee, Ryan voted for an extension of unemployment benefits, for a bailout of the IMF, and several times to increase the debt limit with no discernible reductions.

In the pre-Tea Party days of Washington, Ryan quietly but firmly supported the No Child Left Behind Act, the failed big government approach to education policy, as well as the enormous Medicare prescription drug program. He opposes crony capitalism in theory, but this has not stopped him from endorsing bailouts for banks and the auto industry, as well as a failed stimulus package. He continually supports status quo transportation spending, and even led the charge in the House to make amnesty a reality.

Friendly Republicans will defend Ryan’s consistent moves to the middle as “pragmatic,” but the policy results are the same—gains for a big government agenda. (Mediaite) While Ryan may have an eye toward a more conservative governing vision, and would one day like to see that vision realized, it is a mistake to see him as an enemy of Speaker Boehner or the establishment—he simply provides no true contrast to their culture of surrender.

- See more at: https://www.conservativereview.com/members/paul-ryan/#sthash.FUopLdk4.dpuf
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 01:11:43 am by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 01:09:01 am »

Except when there's a dramatic shift in the electorate's mood. That's when you can take a chance, just when the pendulum begins swinging back. That's when change can occur, when things can get done.

Obama knew it in 2008. Here's hoping the GOP can sense the electorate's mood for 2016.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2015, 01:12:38 am »
Fearless prediction:

Paul Ryan as Speaker is going to sell conservatives (and Americans) down the river so fast it will leave head's spinnin' and John Boehner swimmin' in his wake!

:amen:

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2015, 01:27:38 am »
Exactly what is so positive about Ryan as Speaker given his past track record ... or perhaps you just don't like the truth.  As for you being humble ... now that's a complete riot!    :silly:

Ryan at a Glance

Rep. Paul Ryan was elected to the House of Representatives in 1998.  Since his arrival in the House, he has been regarded by many as a rising star in a new generation of conservatives.  However, his voting record as well as behind-the-scenes backing of an establishment agenda, reveals that he is one of the more moderate members of the House Republican Conference.

Before he ran for office, Ryan worked for Republicans Sen. Bob Kasten and Rep. Jack Kemp. He joined Empower America, a think-tank formed by Rep. Kemp and William Bennett, and became legislative director for Kansas Senator Sam Brownback. He then went home to Wisconsin where he won a seat in the House of Representatives at the age of 28. (National Journal)

Ryan positioned himself as a leading conservative voice on fiscal and economic issues during his tenure as chairman of the House Budget Committee. His budget plan, the Path to Prosperity, “called for freezing most domestic spending for five years and repealing the economic stimulus law in the course of cutting spending more than $6 trillion over 10 years, shrinking federal spending as a percentage of the economy to its lowest level since 1949.” (National Journal) The plan proved controversial with Democrats and the media, who took particular issue with the budget’s plan to eventually replace Medicare with a subsidy that used free market forces to drive down the cost while raising the level of care. (National Journal)

In the wake of his budget passing the House and promoting a more conservative roadmap for the nation’s fiscal future, Ryan was chosen by Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney as his running mate. Ryan was selected with the goal of brining a more conservative approach to balance out Romney’s moderate policies, and provide a more youthful demeanor to challenge President Obama, despite Ryan’s voting record. (Washington Post) While the ticket lost in the general election, Ryan was viewed as an asset to Romney’s efforts, providing substance on the campaign trail, reaching out to conservatives while staying loyal to Romney’s talking points.

After the election, Ryan returned to the House and pursued what was supposed to be a more pragmatic approach to policy, that moved Ryan closer to the center.  He said that the presidential election reminded him that "[t]he Electoral College matters. That's what I learned." (National Journal) Ryan seemed to be increasingly concerned with creating a more geographically broad base for Republicans and his voting record tracked more to the middle.  In December 2013, he helped broker a budget deal with liberal Senator Patty Murray that repealed one of the key conservative victories under President Obama’s reign—the sequester budget caps that helped keep spending in check. The Ryan-Murray budget increased fees, and claimed to reduce the deficit in the final years of the 10-year plan, making it unlikely that said reductions would ever be realized. (FreedomWorks) Simplified, Ryan-Murray was trading real spending cuts occurring at the time, for increased spending and spending cuts in future years, which are unlikely to materialize.

In the 114th Congress, Rep. Ryan became chairman of the powerful House Ways and Means Committee, where he plans to “fix the tax code, hold the I-R-S [sic] accountable, strengthen Medicare and Social Security, repair the safety net, promote job-creating trade agreements, and determine how best to repeal and replace Obama-care with patient-centered solutions." (The Drive FM) He has announced that he would not run for president in 2016, choosing instead to devote his efforts in the House to leading the Ways and Means Committee. (FoxNews)

Reflecting his recent move toward the political center, Rep. Ryan has earned a poor Liberty Score.

There can be no doubt that some of Ryan’s prominent entitlement reform efforts—such as the introduction of the Medicare “premium support” proposal that garnered national attention during the 2012 election—have helped conservative solutions enter the forefront of political debate. He has similar success in landing a media spotlight on conservative welfare reform proposals, helping to jumpstart a conversation about the untenable state of spending in these areas. Nonetheless, these contributions to the mainstream dialogue do not excuse his often patently liberal votes. While championing fiscal sanity from his perch on Budget Committee, Ryan voted for an extension of unemployment benefits, for a bailout of the IMF, and several times to increase the debt limit with no discernible reductions.

In the pre-Tea Party days of Washington, Ryan quietly but firmly supported the No Child Left Behind Act, the failed big government approach to education policy, as well as the enormous Medicare prescription drug program. He opposes crony capitalism in theory, but this has not stopped him from endorsing bailouts for banks and the auto industry, as well as a failed stimulus package. He continually supports status quo transportation spending, and even led the charge in the House to make amnesty a reality.

Friendly Republicans will defend Ryan’s consistent moves to the middle as “pragmatic,” but the policy results are the same—gains for a big government agenda. (Mediaite) While Ryan may have an eye toward a more conservative governing vision, and would one day like to see that vision realized, it is a mistake to see him as an enemy of Speaker Boehner or the establishment—he simply provides no true contrast to their culture of surrender.

- See more at: https://www.conservativereview.com/members/paul-ryan/#sthash.FUopLdk4.dpuf

Thanks for making my point for me.  Even with 239 Republicans behind him, you won't cut him a bit of slack.

Some people live to give encouragement, some people live to piss and moan. I'll leave it to others to decide where you fit on that spectrum.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2015, 01:45:16 am »
Thanks for making my point for me.  Even with 239 Republicans behind him, you won't cut him a bit of slack.

Some people live to give encouragement, some people live to piss and moan. I'll leave it to others to decide where you fit on that spectrum.

...and you are certainly entitled to your opinion; some may see it as more of an unjustified personal attack. The truth is still the truth.  I am a realist.  Some people live their lives in denial which tends to give them a false sense of security and contributes to them not facing reality or the truth.

You can carry on and squabble all you want.  I'm done.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2015, 02:55:40 pm »

Newt and Jim Demint of the Heritage Foundation call the Freedom Caucus to VOTE for RYAN. They all talk conservative until the time comes to be conservative and the true RINO comes out.  :thud:

Offline Longiron

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2015, 03:01:44 pm »
Fearless prediction:

AGREE, it will happen before the end of the year. Just watch! They do not call it "The Party of Stupid" for nothing and that includes the supposedly the conservative Freedom Caucus. They have only 6 conservatives, Gohmert, Jones, Posey, Gosar, Clawson, Brat, the only members of this 40 conservative group that did not vote for RYAN. All the other are RINOS who are conservative until it is time to VOTE. :patriot:

Offline flowers

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2015, 05:17:05 pm »
Fearless prediction:

That is exactly what is going to happen.

Offline flowers

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2015, 05:19:04 pm »
Newt and Jim Demint of the Heritage Foundation call the Freedom Caucus to VOTE for RYAN. They all talk conservative until the time comes to be conservative and the true RINO comes out.  :thud:
Heritage Foundation said to vote for Ryan?  Wow.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2015, 05:21:45 pm »
Heritage Foundation said to vote for Ryan?  Wow.

at the point they did that there was no other option remaing for them.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline flowers

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2015, 05:32:20 pm »
at the point they did that there was no other option remaing for them.
No other option?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2015, 05:51:05 pm »
Yes! No other option if they wanted to have any prospect of staying on their committees  and have ANY effect at all!

- J. R. R. Tolkien