Author Topic: Vulnerable GOP senator backs Obama’s climate rule  (Read 470 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Vulnerable GOP senator backs Obama’s climate rule
« on: October 26, 2015, 03:40:02 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/258058-vulnerable-gop-senator-backs-obamas-climate-rule

By Timothy Cama - 10/26/15 08:41 AM EDT

A Republican senator facing a tough reelection fight is supporting President Obama’s signature climate change rule.

Sen. Kelly Ayotte (N.H.) came out in support late Sunday of the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) regulation that seeks a 32 percent cut in the power sector’s carbon dioxide emissions.

Ayotte, who faces a tough reelection bid in a state that voted for President Obama in the last two presidential cycles, is the first congressional Republican to openly endorse the rule, dubbed the Clean Power Plan.

“After carefully reviewing this plan and talking with members of our business community, environmental groups, and other stakeholders, I have decided to support the Clean Power Plan to address climate change through clean energy solutions that will protect our environment,” Ayotte said in a statement.

“New Hampshire is already well on its way to meet the goals of the Clean Power Plan through positive steps it has already taken,” she continued, saying she would closely monitor the regulation’s implementation to ensure that the state has sufficient flexibility in complying.

New Hampshire Gov. Maggie Hassan is seeking the Democratic nomination to face Ayotte and would be seen as a top-notch challenger. She's already attacked Ayotte on climate, signaling she intends to make it an issue in the race.

Hassan on Friday called for the state’s congressional delegation to support the climate plan. She accused Ayotte of siding “with corporate special interests over New Hampshire’s environment," arguing the senator had fought to protect tax breaks for oil companies and voted to block the EPA from moving forward with regulations to reduce carbon emissions.

Though only elected to the Senate in 2010, Ayotte has already shown a track record of bucking the GOP on climate.

She was only one of five senators to have voted in January to pass a non-binding amendment stating that “climate change is real and human activity significantly contributes to climate change.”

In July, Ayotte was the first recipient of a donation from Jay Faison, a Republican who has pledged to donate money in the 2016 election to encourage the GOP to recognize climate change and endorse conservative solutions to it.

Faison donated $500,000 to a super-PAC benefitting Ayotte.

NextGen Climate, the super-PAC run by billionaire environmental activist Tom Steyer, welcomed Ayotte’s position but pushed her to do more.

“Sen. Kelly Ayotte today recognized a simple political fact: New Hampshire voters overwhelmingly support policies like the Clean Power Plan that save lives, lower energy costs and address climate change,” Mike Padmore, the New Hampshire director for the group, said in a statement.

“Now it’s time for Sen. Ayotte to show that she truly supports America’s clean energy future and commit to achieving more than 50 percent clean energy by 2030,” he said, repeating a challenge Steyer has made to all political candidates in the 2016 cycle.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline famousdayandyear

Re: Vulnerable GOP senator backs Obama’s climate rule
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 03:46:38 pm »
Ms Ayotte is the prime example of a Republican who lied to her voters and fell into the DC black hole of established Republican doctrine.  Get a committee assignment, make a big noise, then open your door to the donor class and well, that money is so GOOD.  So you say/do what they want.

Honor, integrity, honesty----so 18th century.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 03:47:09 pm by famousdayandyear »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 02:23:15 am »
Is she up for re-election in 2016?

Sounds to me like she's headed for the loser's box.

Quick addendum:
Andy, why don't YOU run?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 02:23:52 am by Fishrrman »

Offline Carling

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 03:01:33 am »
She was almost primaried in 2010.  Looks like it's time for another attempt, if only to move her to the right on obvious issues such as this one.

Get her out of there if she really believes this collectivist-funded pseudo-science known as AGW, though.  She's too stupid to hold office as a GOP if she's bought into that BS.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Carling

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 03:03:44 am »
Is she up for re-election in 2016?

Sounds to me like she's headed for the loser's box.

Quick addendum:
Andy, why don't YOU run?

Yes, she is.  She could have been beaten by Ovide  Lamontagne in the 2010 primary, but Sarah Palin came to her defense, put her in the "Mama Grizzly" group, and NH is left with an idiot pandering to the left on a field of "science" that only idiots can believe if they actually do research.

Todd, Willow, and I are headed out to Kodiak and Afognak to meet with logging families on the forested islands. As we work and sightsee on America’s largest island we’ll get to view more majestic bears, so now is a good time to draw attention to the political equivalent of the species.

It’s my honor to endorse a Granite State “mama grizzly” who has broken barriers, fought off and locked up criminals, and battled all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court to protect the rights of New Hampshire parents – and won!

New Hampshire is lucky to have Kelly Ayotte as a candidate for the U.S. Senate this year. Kelly is a daughter of the Granite State, a product of its public schools, and its first female Attorney General. In her impressive five years in the AG’s office, Kelly earned a reputation for being tough on crime, supportive of law enforcement, and tireless in the defense of the rights of the people of New Hampshire. When Planned Parenthood challenged New Hampshire’s parental notification law, Kelly fought them all the way to the Supreme Court and won.

She’s the proud mother of two and the wife of a combat veteran who flew missions over Iraq and currently serves in the Air National Guard. Kelly and her husband started a small landscaping/snow removal business; so, she understands first hand the crushing burden Washington imposes on our small businesses. This pro-life, pro-family, anti-tax constitutional commonsense conservative is the Democrats’ biggest fear in November. They’re already running false ads against her weeks before even the primary election. And on top of that Kelly is facing attacks from a self-funded millionaire running with an R next to his name who likes Obamacare and cap-and-tax.

Kelly is the strongest commonsense conservative who can win in the fall. I knew I liked her when I met her earlier this year, and I know this Granite Grizzly will represent New Hampshire with distinction in Washington.

Please join me in supporting Kelly Ayotte by visiting her website at www.ayotteforsenate.com and following her on Facebook and Twitter.

One final note: I spent time campaigning in New Hampshire in 2008, and I know that the good people there are a lot like Alaskans. In both of our states, we like to get to know the people running for office, look them in the eye, and judge their character. New Hampshire voters know not to rely on misleading negative ads. New Hampshire, tune out the ads and send your native daughter to the Senate. She’ll fight for you there just as passionately and fearlessly as she fought for you in the highest court of the land.

- Sarah Palin
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 03:05:12 am by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------