Author Topic: Lesbian Reassured that God Doesn’t Make Mistakes in Fox’s ‘Rosewood’  (Read 2434 times)

rangerrebew

Lesbian Reassured that God Doesn’t Make Mistakes in Fox’s ‘Rosewood’
By Karen Townsend | October 22, 2015 | 3:16 AM EDT

Apparently Rosewood has turned Dr. Beaumont Rosewood’s mother, Donna (Lorraine Toussaint), into the office psychologist. In a touchy feely moment in the episode “Necrosis and New Beginnings,” Tara (Anna Konkle) asks Donna how she accepted her daughter Pippy as a lesbian. The conversation sprang from Tara’s sadness that she has no relationship with her own parents, who cannot accept her as gay. Tara’s cell phone flashed a reminder that it was her father’s birthday and thus sparked the conversation.

“God doesn’t make mistakes,” says Donna, implying that God makes people gay. Funny how Hollywood only portrays God in a positive light when it serves certain liberal purposes. She says that Tara’s parents would come around to realizing that she was special. The implication being that gays are special people, I assume. Is this more of the mainstreaming of homosexuality in prime time television?

Rosewood’s sister (and Donna’s daughter), Pippy, works with Beaumont as a forensic investigator so perhaps this is just business as usual.

Donna: What's wrong?

Tara: How were you and Mr. Rosewood able to... Accept Pippy so easily when she first came out?

Donna: Pippy's our daughter. We love her. It's that simple. How long has it been since you last talked to your folks?

Tara: 2 years, 3 months, and 14 days. [ Breathes shakily ] But I'm not totally counting. [ Sighs ] It's my dad's birthday today.

Donna: Oh, baby girl. [ Sighs ] Listen to me. God doesn't make mistakes, which means he made you and Pippy exactly the way you were meant to be. I'm so sorry that your -- your parents can't see how... Oh, how special you are. Mm-hmm.

Donna: They'll come around.

Tara: I don't know how you know that, but [sniffles]

Donna: Because it's one of the things I pray for on a daily basis.

Tara: You pray for me?

Donna:  I pray for all my babies.

Personalizing behavior outside of the norm is a classic way to promote acceptance in society. Putting a face on a gay character’s personal struggles draws in the audience. As Donna comforts Tara by telling her that she prays for her, this brings in the religious component, subtly telling Christians that it's ok to accept homosexuality.

God doesn't make mistakes. But people do.
Source URL: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/culture/karen-townsend/2015/10/22/lesbian-reassured-god-doesnt-make-mistakes-foxs-rosewood
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 12:13:29 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline GourmetDan

“God doesn’t make mistakes,” says Donna, implying that God makes people gay.

Does that mean that God makes people pedophiles too?

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline mountaineer

Does that mean that God makes people pedophiles too?
Or alcoholics?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline GourmetDan

Or alcoholics?

Sadly... viewers unconsciously absorb their programming... they don't consciously critique it...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Or alcoholics?

Well - yep.
God made me.
I'm an alcoholic (6 years dry in two weeks - but still an alcoholic, there is no "cure." Always remember that.).
Therefore God makes alcoholics.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline GourmetDan

Well - yep.
God made me.
I'm an alcoholic (6 years dry in two weeks - but still an alcoholic, there is no "cure." Always remember that.).

Pedophiles too then...

Offline GourmetDan

So if God makes alcoholics... and God doesn't make mistakes... aren't they disobeying God by giving up the bottle?

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
God made good and evil, it's up to us to deal with that, he doesn't micromanage our lives.  We have to play the hand we're dealt and very few of us get dealt a royal flush.  I have gay and lesbian friends, I have alcoholic friends (hope I don't have any pedophile friends - none I know of) - I myself have sinned many, many times and will sin again.  I've had drug and drinking problems and on and on.....

God doesn't make mistakes.  Our life on earth is like a "boot camp".  In the end, when it all shakes out - God wants his followers to choose him completely out of free will - and he accepts us, warts and all - just as we are.

They'll be plenty of lesbians in heaven, I'm sure of that. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline GourmetDan

They'll be plenty of lesbians in heaven, I'm sure of that.

Pedophiles too?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Well - yep.
God made me.
Congradulations on your sobriety. For me Feb. 5th 2016 will mark 22 years sober.

The literature from Alcoholics Anonymous as well as medical science states that somehow the bodies of alcoholics are different.

I believe there is merit to this idea. And the mind as well. The book refers to body, mind and spirit.

Let's discuss drugs, however. A middle aged person is prescribed pain meds, for the first time in his/her life. Chemically much like opium.

The doctor directs the pharmacy to give the person a bottle of 30 pills. When they run out, the patient asks for more. The patient no longer needs them for pain, but to feed the addiction.

The physical and mental addiction, whether alcohol or drugs, is real. Some people have the ability and instinct to catch it very early and stop. Others do not.

Many however are caught up with the process, do nothing to resist, and are hooked.

To the self-righteous they are sinners. To others "in recovery" they are just people.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline GourmetDan

Romans 6:1-2 - "What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase?  By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer?"

1 John 3:5-7 - "But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin.  No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.  Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous."

Offline alicewonders

Pedophiles too?

Pedophiles and murderers too, if they accept Christ as their saviour.

Of course, we are instructed to "go and sin no more" - although God knows we are human and will probably sin again - but if we have accepted Christ, we will have a conscience about it and ask for forgiveness and sincerely set out to not sin again. 

God knew we would continue to slip up and could never be perfect - that's why he sent his son to make that sacrifice for us.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 02:52:36 pm by alicewonders »

Offline GourmetDan

Pedophiles and murderers too, if they accept Christ as their saviour.

Of course, we are instructed to "go and sin no more" - although God knows we are human and will probably sin again - but if we have accepted Christ, we will have a conscience about it and ask for forgiveness and sincerely set out to not sin again. 

God knew we would continue to slip up and could never be perfect - that's why he sent his son to make that sacrifice for us.

So why would they be required to accept Christ and stop sinning if God made them the way they are and God doesn't make mistakes?

Isn't the whole premise of this Rosewood scene that God doesn't make mistakes and therefore they aren't sinning?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
So if God makes alcoholics... and God doesn't make mistakes... aren't they disobeying God by giving up the bottle?

Try to be a touch less retarded. I know it's ALMOST impossible for you - after all, God made you a judgmental pr*ck with a stick up your ass - but try.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline GourmetDan

Try to be a touch less retarded. I know it's ALMOST impossible for you - after all, God made you a judgmental pr*ck with a stick up your ass - but try.

Just showing your logic for what it is...

Offline alicewonders

So why would they be required to accept Christ and stop sinning if God made them the way they are and God doesn't make mistakes?

Isn't the whole premise of this Rosewood scene that God doesn't make mistakes and therefore they aren't sinning?

I've never heard of Rosewood, so I don't know the premise.  I do know that God created everything and everybody - so logically, I know that some of the people he created are going to end up in hell.

I'm sure the premise of most any tv show is to promote the immoral Hollywood agenda - which I believe is also Satan's agenda.  One of the reasons I don't get cable tv anymore, got tired of having that crap rubbed in my face and me paying for it. 

God doesn't make mistakes - WE make mistakes.

Offline GourmetDan

I've never heard of Rosewood, so I don't know the premise.  I do know that God created everything and everybody - so logically, I know that some of the people he created are going to end up in hell.

I'm sure the premise of most any tv show is to promote the immoral Hollywood agenda - which I believe is also Satan's agenda.  One of the reasons I don't get cable tv anymore, got tired of having that crap rubbed in my face and me paying for it. 

God doesn't make mistakes - WE make mistakes.

Well... it's the subject of the thread and there is a link above.

“God doesn’t make mistakes,” says Donna, implying that God makes people gay.

The premise of the article is that God makes people gay and therefore 'special' without the need to stop their behavior because 'God made them that way'.

Did God make them gay and therefore they don't need to stop?

Offline alicewonders

Well... it's the subject of the thread and there is a link above.

The premise of the article is that God makes people gay and therefore 'special' without the need to stop their behavior because 'God made them that way'.

Did God make them gay and therefore they don't need to stop?

If that's the premise, it's wrong - and so one is wasting time arguing a false premise.  I'm sure that's the point of it - another tactic of the agenda to promote homosexuality to young people.  My belief is that it is not the best lifestyle.  I do have a few friends that have been in monogamous homosexual relationships for thirty or more years and are hard-working and productive citizens.  I'm not going to judge them - that's up to God to do. 

I'm not without sin, so I won't throw stones.

Offline GourmetDan

If that's the premise, it's wrong - and so one is wasting time arguing a false premise.  I'm sure that's the point of it - another tactic of the agenda to promote homosexuality to young people.  My belief is that it is not the best lifestyle.  I do have a few friends that have been in monogamous homosexual relationships for thirty or more years and are hard-working and productive citizens.  I'm not going to judge them - that's up to God to do. 

I'm not without sin, so I won't throw stones.

If you aren't going to judge your friends because you are sinful... what do you do with...

1 John 3:4-7 - "Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness.  But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin.  No one who lives in him keeps on sinning.  No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.  Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous."

Do you leave them in their sin because you care for them so much?

Since you are sinful and therefore do not judge, on what basis would you call the premise 'wrong' and object to promoting homosexuality to young people?

Offline mountaineer

Well - yep.
God made me.
God made you, but He didn't make you an alcoholic. That was the issue. Does God make people homosexuals? No. Does He MAKE anyone sin? No.

Dan's correct when he says, "Isn't the whole premise of this Rosewood scene that God doesn't make mistakes and therefore they aren't sinning?"  That's exactly what the writer of this Rosewood scene was trying to say. That no matter what sin you're committing, it's not your fault, you were just born that way. (Thanks, Lady Gaga, for adding that phrase to the vernacular). Well, you weren't.  We're all sinners, but it's not God's fault.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 08:31:16 pm by mountaineer »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
"(God) was sorry that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him in his heart." —Genesis 6:6

It sounds to me like God, by his own admission, DID make a mistake. So the premise is false.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline GourmetDan

"(God) was sorry that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him in his heart." —Genesis 6:6

It sounds to me like God, by his own admission, DID make a mistake. So the premise is false.

More like a problem in translation since Num 23:19 says, "God is not human, that he should lie, not a human being, that he should change his mind.  Does he speak and then not act?  Does he promise and not fulfill?"

Taking one verse by itself without understanding what the rest of Scripture says is always dangerous.

blueletterbible.org can help make it understandable...

Offline mountaineer

God made man.
God did not make man sin.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
More like a problem in translation since Num 23:19 says, "God is not human, that he should lie, not a human being, that he should change his mind.  Does he speak and then not act?  Does he promise and not fulfill?"
Well, yeah, he does speak (promising to destroy mankind) and does not fulfill (lets Noah's sons and wives onboard the ark, even though Noah was specifically cited as the only one who was blameless).
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline GourmetDan

Well, yeah, he does speak (promising to destroy mankind) and does not fulfill (lets Noah's sons and wives onboard the ark, even though Noah was specifically cited as the only one who was blameless).

Gen 6:9 says that Noah was 'perfect in his generations'... meaning that he was not contaminated by the demonic seed of the fallen bene elohim who tried to contaminate the entire human race to prevent the birth of the Savior.

God clearly said that he would establish his covenant with Noah, his family and of all the creatures taken on the Ark.

Again... taking one verse by itself without understanding what other verses say is always dangerous...