Author Topic: Trump triples down on George W. Bush’s responsibility for 9/11  (Read 10858 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Trump triples down on George W. Bush’s responsibility for 9/11
By Karoun Demirjian

Donald Trump says he doesn’t flat out blame former president George W. Bush that the Sept. 11 terror attacks happened on his watch. But he can think of three reasons why one could hold Bush responsible.

And, he might add, they are three things a President Trump would do very differently.

“You always have to look to the person at the top,” Trump said Saturday in a telephone interview. “Do I blame George Bush? I only say that he was the president at the time, and you know, you could say the buck stops here.”

So why might one consider Bush responsible?

No. 1: Bush’s immigration policy. “We had very weak immigration laws,” Trump said, adding that perhaps if Bush had had a Trump-style immigration policy, replete with “the strong laws that I’m wanting, these terrorists wouldn’t have been in the country.”

No. 2: People knew that the FBI, the National Security Council, and the CIA weren’t sharing information about potential threats. “They were not talking to each other,” Trump said. “If I’m president, I want to have my three most important agencies talking to each other and coordinating with each other.”

And No. 3: George Tenet, Bush’s director of central intelligence, “knew in advance that there would be an attack, and he said that.”

more at:  http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2015/10/18/trump-triples-down-on-george-w-bushs-responsibility-for-911/

« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 02:02:50 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

Re: Trump triples down on George W. Bush’s responsibility for 9/11
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 02:08:37 pm »
IMO, this is another example of Donald Trump's marketing acumen.  He fully realizes that many Republicans don't like him.  He gets it.

What he also 'gets'?   That there are many registered Democrats and more than a few Republicans who still insist that George W. Bush [praise be his name] was not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

In short....he's grabbing more voters.  While distancing himself from the Bush family, he's also gaining more voters that are still fence post sitters. 

And his polling numbers bear it out.

Another reason may be that he's setting up a strategy in the event he needs to go third party...since the GOPe may change the rules for the primaries.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 02:11:15 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 02:16:37 pm »
IMO, this is another example of Donald Trump's marketing acumen.  He fully realizes that many Republicans don't like him.  He gets it.

What he also 'gets'?   That there are many registered Democrats and more than a few Republicans who still insist that George W. Bush [praise be his name] was not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

In short....he's grabbing more voters.  While distancing himself from the Bush family, he's also gaining more voters that are still fence post sitters. 

And his polling numbers bear it out.

Another reason may be that he's setting up a strategy in the event he needs to go third party...since the GOPe may change the rules for the primaries.

He's a despicable bastard for blaming Bush for 9/11, but I fully expect him to go full Jesse Ventura on us over the next few months. Crazy, hateful, slimy, now a Truther. 

And, he lies.  Blaming Bush's immigration policies when he had been in office eight months is pulling a fast one.  His boot-lickers, though, aren't smart enough to realize this, so they'll nod their heads, empty their drool cups, and cheer this cretin on.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 02:19:54 pm »
He's a despicable bastard for blaming Bush for 9/11, but I fully expect him to go full Jesse Ventura on us over the next few months. Crazy, hateful, slimy, now a Truther. 

And, he lies.  Blaming Bush's immigration policies when he had been in office eight months is pulling a fast one.  His boot-lickers, though, aren't smart enough to realize this, so they'll nod their heads, empty their drool cups, and cheer this cretin on.

Love you, too!

SHOCK POLL: Trump Blue Collar Support highest since FDR in 1930s   

http://prntly.com/blog/2015/10/17/shock-poll-trump-blue-collar-support-highest-since-fdr-in-1930s/

« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 02:20:17 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 02:24:12 pm »
DC, I love you too, but I rest my case.

Trump hates the Bush family.  We get that. He hates anybody who disagrees with him, pokes at him, or does something he doesn't like.

One of these days, this orangutan-haired Truther will run out of people to hate.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 02:26:32 pm »

We can blame Clinton as well for him not taking out Bin Laden when he had the chance; but at the end of the day, Bush was president on 9-11.  Jeb's claim that he kept us safe is simply not true.  We were attacked on his watch.  Don't get me wrong, I was a huge supporter of "W"'s and worked many hours, made plenty of door-to-door contacts and made plenty of phone calls to get him elected the first time around and the 2nd time around.  I agree, 8 months into his term on immigration is a bit unfair; but it was his actions during his 2nd term in office that I was so disappointed in. 

Trump is trying to muddy the Bush name.  I for one am tired of the "dynasties" controlling this country and have little doubt that experiencing Jeb as governor; another Bush vying for the White House will give us another DEM.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 02:45:41 pm »
We can blame Clinton as well for him not taking out Bin Laden when he had the chance; but at the end of the day, Bush was president on 9-11.  Jeb's claim that he kept us safe is simply not true.  We were attacked on his watch.  Don't get me wrong, I was a huge supporter of "W"'s and worked many hours, made plenty of door-to-door contacts and made plenty of phone calls to get him elected the first time around and the 2nd time around.  I agree, 8 months into his term on immigration is a bit unfair; but it was his actions during his 2nd term in office that I was so disappointed in. 

Trump is trying to muddy the Bush name.  I for one am tired of the "dynasties" controlling this country and have little doubt that experiencing Jeb as governor; another Bush vying for the White House will give us another DEM.

Trump is trying to SLANDER Bush.  I'm putting you on ignore since you seem to think Trump has a point in blaming Bush for 9/11. 

Is there anything this Democrat-in-disguise can say that you disagree with?  I can't believe some of you are that dumb!

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 03:11:18 pm »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 03:15:54 pm »

Exactly! 

But, IMO, it serves a purpose for 'candidate' Trump. 

If there were no such thing as a low-information voter, he'd have never said it. 

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 03:33:41 pm »
Exactly! 

If there were no such thing as a low-information voter, he'd have never said it.

Oh, he'd have still said it. Trump hates the Bush family.  If he knew your family, he'd hate them too if they were trying to compete with him in ANY way.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 04:05:28 pm »
Exactly! 

Like it or not, if the GOP wants to win the presidency (and sometimes I wonder) they had better reach out to the LIV.  That's how Democrats win! 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline flowers

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 04:20:01 pm »
Amazing how the Trump upsets some. I wonder about him too.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 05:29:00 pm »
Bush had been President a little over 7 months when 9/11 occurred.  This is a short time period into his Presidency.  It would seem difficult to make the case against Bush based on limited time, though actions of Bush and particularly prior Presidents should be analyzed.  I understand that most of the Muslim terrorists were in this country illegally, on overstayed visas.   Trump certainly has a point on our terrible lack of enforcement on visas.

Offline flowers

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2015, 05:34:32 pm »
   Trump certainly has a point on our terrible lack of enforcement on visas.
Yes he does.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2015, 05:43:49 pm »
Like it or not, if the GOP wants to win the presidency (and sometimes I wonder) they had better reach out to the LIV.  That's how Democrats win!

So the GOP has to suck up to the Truthers now?  Dumb down our message to get the Fan Duel vote?

The LIV is all the Democrats have.

Offline flowers

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2015, 05:58:41 pm »

Not true....they also will have hundreds of thousands sharia types in country and all the millions and millions of illegal Mexicans. Oh they will also have the prison population able to vote by then too.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2015, 06:03:02 pm »
So the GOP has to suck up to the Truthers now?  Dumb down our message to get the Fan Duel vote?

Well, the GOP has been sucking up to the amnesty crowd for quite some time now, it's not like it's a new concept for them.  Supposedly, that has been for the purpose of getting votes from demographics they historically haven't. 

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2015, 08:03:02 pm »

Shouldn't Trump already have a lock on the anti-establishment Republicans?

This action further alienates voters like me, and Sinkspur...which may be a given, but I suspect it also alienates voters like Musiclady(I hope I'm not putting words in her mouth) who might not be inclined to vote for Trump but will if he is the nominee.

It is unnecessary and counter productive.  Why does Trump want to refight the justification for the Iraq war?  I think Sinkspur hits it on the head when he says because it fractures the GOP.  an even though I have Jeb pretty low on my list...Trump's attack on Dubya makes me more sympathetic to Jeb.  This is not acumen...it is hubris and it will hurt Trump far more than it helps.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2015, 08:15:09 pm »

This action further alienates voters like me, and Sinkspur...which may be a given, but I suspect it also alienates voters like Musiclady(I hope I'm not putting words in her mouth) who might not be inclined to vote for Trump but will if he is the nominee.

It is unnecessary and counter productive.  Why does Trump want to refight the justification for the Iraq war?  I think Sinkspur hits it on the head when he says because it fractures the GOP.  an even though I have Jeb pretty low on my list...Trump's attack on Dubya makes me more sympathetic to Jeb.  This is not acumen...it is hubris and it will hurt Trump far more than it helps.

If we're talking primaries, Trump is already in the lead without the support of Onceler, Sinkspur, etc.  He knows he's not going to win you over, but he is betting that should he be the nominee - he will get your vote - as he will mine.  I think that what he is saying will catch the attention of a voting demographic that other GOP candidates would not get in the general election.

But, I think Trump's strategy might be a way of pushing Jeb's buttons - getting his goat, playing with him like a cat plays with a mouse before he kills it. 

I don't agree that 9/11 was GWB's fault.  Given that Al Gore made him waste those crucial first few months in office dealing with the hanging chad farce - I think that whole thing was very bad for our country and it makes me wonder if Gore was purposely doing it to make Bush less-prepared than he would have otherwise been.  I put NOTHING past these people!

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2015, 08:17:06 pm »
Oh, he'd have still said it. Trump hates the Bush family.  If he knew your family, he'd hate them too if they were trying to compete with him in ANY way.

He was saying it long before he was running.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2015, 08:19:26 pm »
"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing." ~John Powell
And I would add "and rest assured, will repeated"

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2015, 08:30:49 pm »
But, I think Trump's strategy might be a way of pushing Jeb's buttons - getting his goat, playing with him like a cat plays with a mouse before he kills it. 

Thanx for the insightful response Alice.  Enraging your opponent to force a mistake can pay off.  Strategy wise, that does make some sense, and I had not considered it from that point of view.  I think the reason I didn't consider it is Jeb seems like a very even tempered foe.  Trump is the guy who seems thin skinned to me, but maybe there is more to Trump than I am giving credit.

Oceander

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2015, 08:56:37 pm »
A Donald Trump presidency would do what Obama's victory in 2008 could not do:  render republicans the permanent minority party for at least a generation and ensure that the next president is as far left as Obama is.

Offline flowers

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2015, 09:05:55 pm »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2015, 09:06:40 pm »
A Donald Trump presidency would do what Obama's victory in 2008 could not do:  render republicans the permanent minority party for at least a generation and ensure that the next president is as far left as Obama is.

I think he renders the GOP a minority party if he wins the NOMINATION.  No way he beats Hillary.

It would also be the first presidency maybe in our history in which the president has no constituency in the Congress. Republicans and Democrats would both oppose his immigration plans, his tax plans, and likely most of his foreign policy.  And, if he defied them, it would be a snap to impeach and CONVICT him.