Author Topic: If Favorites Fall, Watch These Dark-Horse Candidates for House Speaker By John Fund  (Read 277 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.nationalreview.com/node/425390/print

If Favorites Fall, Watch These Dark-Horse Candidates for House Speaker
By John Fund — October 11, 2015

The favorite candidates for speaker of both the House Republican establishment and the House Freedom Caucus are looking more like lost causes. Paul Ryan, the widely respected former vice-presidential nominee, still won’t change his mind and commit to running, and friends say he worries that becoming speaker could be a form of career suicide. Representative Jim Jordan, the founder of the House Freedom Caucus, says that his group won’t get on board for Ryan unless he agrees to reduce the speaker’s powers.

Jordan told Fox News Sunday that his group’s candidate is still Representative Daniel Webster, the 66-year-old from Florida who served as speaker of the Florida House in the 1990s before being elected to Congress in 2010.

“Our position right now is we know Daniel Webster,” Jordan told Chris Wallace on Fox. “We know he’s done this in Florida, where he took a model that was so controlled, top-down, centralized kind of power model. He diffused that kind of power and empowered the members. So I think that’s the model we want. I think whoever the next speaker is, Paul Ryan or anyone else, has to go to that kind of model.”

But the idea of Ryan as speaker is meeting resistance from conservatives who recall his support of comprehensive immigration reform, the bank bailouts that followed the 2008 financial crisis, and the pro-union legislation that pleased constituents in his blue-collar district in Wisconsin.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Daniel Webster or Tom Price would be fine with me. Paul Ryan not so much.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Blackburn or David Brat...

Offline sinkspur

Blackburn or David Brat...

Brat? He's an embarrassment. He couldn't articulate on Meet the Press what it is, exactly, that the Freedom Caucus wants.

And I'm sorry, but Marsha Blackburn doesn't inspire. 

Ryan's not gonna take the job because it WOULD BE a career killer. Why the hell doesn't Jordan run for the job if he wants to dictate to Ryan what he has to do? 

Cuz Jordan sees his career in shambles too if he takes this job with that mob of 40 impeding every thing he does.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline famousdayandyear

Mark Meadows (NC-11) or Newt Gingrich (experienced conservative speaker)