Author Topic: Cruz: Trump Will Not Win Republican Nomination  (Read 3813 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Cruz: Trump Will Not Win Republican Nomination
« on: October 10, 2015, 03:20:23 am »
http://www.texastribune.org/2015/10/09/cruz-trump-cant-win-republican-nomination/

U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz is saying he does not believe Republican presidential frontrunner Donald Trump will win the GOP nomination, an unusually candid assessment of a rival he has sought to portray as a close ally.

In an interview recorded Thursday, Cruz was asked whether he believes he could ultimately beat Trump, the bomb-throwing billionaire whom he has steadfastly refused to criticize in a self-described effort to avoid intra-party squabbling.

"I think that's right," Cruz replied. "I think in time, I don't believe Donald is going to be the nominee, and I think in time, the lion's share of his supporters end up with us."

The senator's statement marks his most direct judgment yet of an opponent who has led the GOP field for months and found sway with the same anti-establishment voters Cruz is courting. Surveys have shown Cruz is among the top back-up choices of Trump supporters, including in Texas.

Cruz has cultivated a chummy relationship with Trump, praising his ability to draw attention to certain issues and even inviting him to speak at a rally against President Barack Obama's nuclear deal with Iran. Both hopefuls have brushed off the idea they have forged some kind of alliance; Trump has specifically suggested he will not hesitate to attack if Cruz sours on him.

In the interview, which was conducted with New York radio host Rita Cosby, Cruz's comments on Trump were largely positive. Cruz echoed familiar praise for Trump, calling his candidacy "tremendously helpful to my campaign because it's framed the central question of this primary: Who will stand up to Washington?"

However, Cruz's remark about Trump's chances is unlikely to be forgotten anytime soon. As word of the interview spread late Thursday, a Trump adviser shared Cruz's assessment on Twitter and simply said, "I disagree!"

Oceander

Re: Cruz: Trump Will Not Win Republican Nomination
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 04:42:16 am »
My God!  What a miserable little hater Cruz is!  He's a deranged anti-Trumper!  Trump lives rent-free in his head!

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 04:48:46 am »
My God!  What a miserable little hater Cruz is!  He's a deranged anti-Trumper!  Trump lives rent-free in his head!
He's a RINO.

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 05:23:03 am »
It has been speculated for a few months that Sen Cruz was hoping to inherit "the lion's share" of Trump's supporters.  That presupposes that Trump will lose support.  Why is Cruz saying this now?  It seems a bit risky and may turn off any drifting Trump supporters.  Maybe he has some polling showing Trump's support dropping.  The polls I see indicate Carson inheriting any lost Trump fans.  Curious.

History shows the GOP primary voter having a predisposition to nominate candidates who have run for President before and lost the nomination.  This applies to Romney, McCain, Dole, Bush Sr, Reagan, and Nixon.  Yet, this early in the season, non-elected candidates seem to be capturing the attention of the media and voters. More curious.

The anti-establishment wing of the party is certain that the answer is voters are angry with the GOP leadership, yet when Speaker Boehner steps down no solid anti-establishment candidate can muster more than a 20% of the GOP caucus.

I believe much of the anti-establishment sentiment is media driven and when the elections do come things will look much different, but I was wrong once or twice in the past.  Regardless this is a compelling drama with soap opera twists and turns.  I can't wait to see how it comes out.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 05:28:46 am »
Highly unlikely that Cruz becomes the nominee. Should he become the nominee, virtually certain he loses in a landslide.

From the start he has NOT increased his percentage; he fails to add, persuade, new supporters.

Just stuck at the same old, static 6% plus or minus. Narrow but loud support. If he moves up, he will start getting vetted along with his investment banking wife, and his eligibility will not even be a sure thing.

You simply do NOT make enemies of your colleagues, and not expect an extremely harsh backlash. Cruz AND his wife won't know what hit them.

The GOP is now host to personality cults, first Palin and now Trump and Cruz.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 05:50:37 am »
Highly unlikely that Cruz becomes the nominee. Should he become the nominee, virtually certain he loses in a landslide.

From the start he has NOT increased his percentage; he fails to add, persuade, new supporters.

Just stuck at the same old, static 6% plus or minus. Narrow but loud support. If he moves up, he will start getting vetted along with his investment banking wife, and his eligibility will not even be a sure thing.

You simply do NOT make enemies of your colleagues, and not expect an extremely harsh backlash. Cruz AND his wife won't know what hit them.

Not really disagreeing with your very valid points, but I suspect Cruz has been vetted by the dreaded Establishment since he became the main instigator of the 2013 Oct shutdown.  Once Cruz fails to win the GOP nomination, he may find himself challenged for the Senate nomination in 2018.

Also I don't think it is fair to place Cruz in the same level of personality cult as Palin or Trump.  Cruz lacks their charisma.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 06:21:15 am »
Cruz lacks their charisma.
I suggest Cruz could bolster his charisma if he rode a horse like Reagan, and got a nice cowboy hat, to go with his boots. (Everybody wants to be like Reagan, you know. Here is how)

There was a great Kingston Trio song recorded live at UCLA in the 1962 called "Laredo"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCeelWFO56Y

« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 06:35:19 am by truth_seeker »

Godzilla

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 01:51:39 pm »

I've noticed that as well.

Cult of Personality, by Living Colour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xxgRUyzgs0

bkepley

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 02:08:20 pm »
The article is only trying to tease Trump into insulting Cruz.  What Cruz said is only common sense and not an attack on Trump.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 02:11:06 pm »

We'll see won't we!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 02:28:08 pm »
I think that's right," Cruz replied. "I think in time, I don't believe Donald is going to be the nominee, and I think in time, the lion's share of his supporters end up with us."

Well, I guess this is one way to get your poll numbers to move.    :yawn2:

Offline Longiron

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 03:46:02 pm »

You are great at bashing TRUMP. Whom do you support or just like to bash the WINNER???

Online mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 04:50:23 pm »
The article is only trying to tease Trump into insulting Cruz.  What Cruz said is only common sense and not an attack on Trump.
I'm reasonably certain that I'd be accused of attacking Trump if I crossed my eyes and said "the Donald."
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 04:53:51 pm »

I suggest Cruz could bolster his charisma if he rode a horse like Reagan, and got a nice cowboy hat, to go with his boots. (Everybody wants to be like Reagan, you know. Here is how)

...purchased a bottle of shampoo.    :whistle:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online libertybele

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 05:53:40 pm »
All I can say is many of you have under estimated Ted Cruz.  In reality; he is truly the only conservative running.  The RINO's are toast and not only will Cruz win the nomination, he will be seated in the oval office.

TED CRUZ 2016.  Reigniting the Promise of America!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2015, 06:01:00 pm »
I'm reasonably certain that I'd be accused of attacking Trump if I crossed my eyes and said "the Donald."

If you did that, it would certainly prove to some that you are a "Trump hater."

btw, I agree with Cruz that Trump will not be our nominee. 
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 07:00:03 pm »

DC, thanks for the shampoo joke.  (I thought a horse & hat connected nicely with Calgary and Texas)

We gotta help poor Ted, to get charisma. How about a "Cool Charisma for Cruz" contest?

He comes across to me, like somebody's uncle or preacher in the 70s, scolding them with yet another canned college debate patriotism performance, by a hyper-ambitious politician.

I don't warm to the guy, partly because he didn't sign up on September 12th for our military. Instead he pursued his personal ambitions, and when he lectures me today I respond with "blah blah, blah...."...I've heard a lifetime of patriotic speeches by politicians.

Your mileage may differ. I don't dislike him, and I will vote for him if nominated.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 07:22:14 pm »
DC, thanks for the shampoo joke.  (I thought a horse & hat connected nicely with Calgary and Texas)

We gotta help poor Ted, to get charisma. How about a "Cool Charisma for Cruz" contest?

He comes across to me, like somebody's uncle or preacher in the 70s, scolding them with yet another canned college debate patriotism performance, by a hyper-ambitious politician.

I don't warm to the guy, partly because he didn't sign up on September 12th for our military. Instead he pursued his personal ambitions, and when he lectures me today I respond with "blah blah, blah...."...I've heard a lifetime of patriotic speeches by politicians.

Your mileage may differ. I don't dislike him, and I will vote for him if nominated.

Of course, I'd gladly pull the lever for Ted Cruz, should he become the Nominee.

But unfortunately, if he had treated/reacted to the media etc., the way Trump does, he might have a chance.  IMO, the media and LEFT has already destroyed his cred.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Longiron

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 10:00:25 pm »
Have to give Cruz a pass on this one. What is suppose to say, Ian running for POTUS but I feel Trump is going to be the candidate!  Day !  :tongue2:

Offline olde north church

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 10:44:46 pm »
It has been speculated for a few months that Sen Cruz was hoping to inherit "the lion's share" of Trump's supporters.  That presupposes that Trump will lose support.  Why is Cruz saying this now?  It seems a bit risky and may turn off any drifting Trump supporters.  Maybe he has some polling showing Trump's support dropping.  The polls I see indicate Carson inheriting any lost Trump fans.  Curious.

History shows the GOP primary voter having a predisposition to nominate candidates who have run for President before and lost the nomination.  This applies to Romney, McCain, Dole, Bush Sr, Reagan, and Nixon.  Yet, this early in the season, non-elected candidates seem to be capturing the attention of the media and voters. More curious.

The anti-establishment wing of the party is certain that the answer is voters are angry with the GOP leadership, yet when Speaker Boehner steps down no solid anti-establishment candidate can muster more than a 20% of the GOP caucus.

I believe much of the anti-establishment sentiment is media driven and when the elections do come things will look much different, but I was wrong once or twice in the past. Regardless this is a compelling drama with soap opera twists and turns.  I can't wait to see how it comes out.

Be prepared for the hat trick, my friend.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2015, 01:51:00 am »
truth_seeker wrote above:
[[ There was a great Kingston Trio song recorded live at UCLA in the 1962 called "Laredo" ]]

Totally off-topic and just an aside, but...

At least some of that "concert" was faked -- i.e., studio recordings with an over-dubbed "audience background"

Capitol Records did that more than once. Most of The Band's "Live at Watkins Glen" album was the same way. Very little of that recording was actually -recorded at- the Watkins Glen show...

Offline Paladin

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2015, 02:10:04 am »
What utter nonsense: "The GOP is now host to personality cults, first Palin and now Trump and Cruz."

Criminy sake, that could be said about anyone supporting any candidate at any time. So arrogant, so dismissive of others, so wrong.

Oh, well, consider the source and those who agree with him.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2015, 02:12:15 am »
truth_seeker wrote above:
[[ There was a great Kingston Trio song recorded live at UCLA in the 1962 called "Laredo" ]]

Totally off-topic and just an aside, but...

At least some of that "concert" was faked -- i.e., studio recordings with an over-dubbed "audience background"

Capitol Records did that more than once. Most of The Band's "Live at Watkins Glen" album was the same way. Very little of that recording was actually -recorded at- the Watkins Glen show...
Worse still many groups had members that were mediocre playing their instruments, so they recorded in the studio with studio musicians, instead.

Among those studio musicians were Glen Campbell, Leon Russell, Carol Kane, Cher (vocals), and several others. They came to be called "The Wrecking Crew."

Likewise at Muscle Shoal, several hits by black vocal artists, were recorded with all-white studio musicians.

What you say is interesting about the Kingston Trio, who were one of the top groups in the world, in 1962. A wholesome group that parents and teens alike could enjoy, which was true in my family. You probably knew all that, however.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2015, 11:30:20 am »
Worse still many groups had members that were mediocre playing their instruments, so they recorded in the studio with studio musicians, instead.

Among those studio musicians were Glen Campbell, Leon Russell, Carol Kane, Cher (vocals), and several others. They came to be called "The Wrecking Crew."

Likewise at Muscle Shoal, several hits by black vocal artists, were recorded with all-white studio musicians.

What you say is interesting about the Kingston Trio, who were one of the top groups in the world, in 1962. A wholesome group that parents and teens alike could enjoy, which was true in my family. You probably knew all that, however.

The "Wrecking Crew" wasn't employed because the original artists were mediocre.  They were employed because most of the members of bands were unable to read music.  Inability to read music cost studio time and studio time cost money.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2015, 05:19:39 pm »
How come no one ask HILLARY is she is getting out of the race. She is dropping real fast in polling. How about Christe, Jindal, Little RICKEY, Jeb, Patak, Grahami or any of the RINOS ( except CRUZ, Jindal) if they are getting out and polling at lower than double digets. BUT the leader TRUMP up by 35% in some polls they are speculating his exit stragety????. All you political guru's out there especially the TRUMP haters must have a Opine?  :patriot:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 05:20:52 pm by Longiron »