Author Topic: First on CNN: U.S. officials say Russian missiles heading for Syria landed in Iran  (Read 609 times)

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/08/politics/russian-missiles-syria-landed-iran/

Has anyone else heard anything about this?  On my phone, difficult for me to post.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline flowers

Washington (CNN)A number of cruise missiles launched from a Russian ship and aimed at targets in Syria have crashed in Iran, two U.S. officials told CNN Thursday.

Monitoring by U.S. military and intelligence assets has concluded that at least four missiles crashed as they flew over Iran. One official said there may be casualties, but another official said this is not yet known.

It's unclear where in Iran the missiles landed. The Russian ships have been positioned in the south Caspian Sea, meaning the likely flight path for missiles into Syria would cross over both Iran and Iraq.

The Russians have been firing a relatively new cruise missile called "Kaliber," using it for the first time in combat.

Iran's semi-official FARS news agency, however, said that neither Russian nor Iranian authorities have confirmed the U.S. officials' information at this point.

On Wednesday, Russian Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu told President Vladimir Putin on Russian television that all 26 missiles launched from four missile ships struck their targets, with no civilian facilities hit. Putin then congratulated him on the performance of the weapons.

It was not clear, however, whether Shoigu was referring to the same missiles as the U.S. officials, as the latter may have been describing ones launched after the TV appearance.

Offline flowers

Russian cruise missiles intended for targets in Syria hit Iran instead

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/10/08/russian-cruise-missiles-intended-for-targets-in-syria-hit-iran-instead/?intcmp=hpbt3

DEVELOPING: Four cruise missiles launched from a Russian warship aimed at targets in Syria missed their target and crashed in Iran Thursday, a senior defense official told Fox News.

The “Kalibr” cruise missiles were fired for the first time in combat from warships in the Caspian Sea, the official said.

There was no immediate word of any damage or casualties in Iran.

Russia began launching missiles into Syria from warships on Wednesday, The Associated Press reported.

Russian officials said 26 cruise missiles launched from warships have already hit the provinces of Raqqa and Aleppo in the north and Idlib province in the northwest. The Islamic State group has strongholds in Raqqa and Aleppo, while Syria's Al Qaeda affiliate, the Nusra Front, has a strong presence in Idlib.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Thanks flowers!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

bkepley

Offline EdinVA

oooops... my bad   :whistle: