Author Topic: ABC Family Announces Name Change Because Current Name Is Too “Wholesome”…  (Read 1908 times)

Offline famousdayandyear

ABC Family Announces Name Change Because Current Name Is Too “Wholesome”…

God forbid…

Via Daily Caller:

ABC Family announced plans to change its name this January because it want more adults watching its TV shows — not little kids or families. The station’s new name will be Freeform.

Executives at ABC Family announced Tuesday in a press release they plan to appeal to an age group they call “Becomers,” people between 14 and 34. Previously, the channel was known for more traditional kid shows, but starting in January 2016, the channel will officially move away from exclusively entertaining this demographic.

“For us, this doesn’t feel like a radical departure, this is an evolution,” ABC Family president Tom Ascheim told Entertainment Weekly. “For the last 10-to-12 years, we’ve been targeting young people, Millennnials, and then something happened. Millennials started getting older. The oldest ones are nearly 40. So do we follow Millennials or stay with the ‘life stage’ that got us here?”

Keep reading… (more at link)
http://www.weaselzippers.us/236168-abc-family-announces-name-change-because-current-name-is-too-wholesome/

Offline famousdayandyear

Since I don't watch television, this has no effect for me except as some sort of a continuing cultural collapse.

Offline musiclady

Their programming hasn't been for families for a long time.

Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline flowers

Since I don't watch television, this has no effect for me except as some sort of a continuing cultural collapse.
Yep.....on obamas list. Cultural collapse.

Offline andy58-in-nh

They should have called it The ABC Alternative Family Network.

Problem solved.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
The new name is "Trannies R Us"
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline musiclady

Yep.....on obamas list. Cultural collapse.

I would say at the very top of his list....

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline aligncare

Their programming hasn't been for families for a long time.

I have three daughters. We used to have huge battles over ABC Family programming. Talk about misnomer... In fact, that's when I made up my mind to give up television. My wife however, well that's a different matter. She didn't agree. Maybe that's why she's my ex-wife.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 10:32:35 pm by aligncare »

Offline musiclady

I have three daughters. We used to have huge battles over ABC Family programming. Talk about misnomer... In fact, that's when I made up my mind to give up television. My ex-wife however, well that's a different matter. She didn't agree. Maybe that's why she's my ex-wife.

:laugh:

Online mountaineer

they plan to appeal to an age group they call “Becomers,” people between 14 and 34.
What are they becoming?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline andy58-in-nh

What are they becoming?

Idiots, if they're watching ABC.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Psst. Andy. You missed off the "useful."
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

“For us, this doesn’t feel like a radical departure, this is an evolution,” ABC Family president Tom Ascheim told Entertainment Weekly. “For the last 10-to-12 years, we’ve been targeting young people, Millennnials, and then something happened. Millennials started getting older. The oldest ones are nearly 40. So do we follow Millennials or stay with the ‘life stage’ that got us here?”

How they hell does he figure? If you accept 20 year length generations and the Boomers started in '45 or '46, that puts the upper age of Xers at 50 and Millenials at 30.
The Republic is lost.

Offline andy58-in-nh

Psst. Andy. You missed off the "useful."

Yes, indeed I did.  :beer:

Offline Rivergirl

Why not just call it TRANSGENDERS ARE US

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Freeform.

A name that signifies chaos, randomness and lack of definition.

A channel name is supposed to convey something about what you're airing on the channel. To choose a name like Freeform is almost as bad as calling your channel nothing at all.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline musiclady

How they hell does he figure? If you accept 20 year length generations and the Boomers started in '45 or '46, that puts the upper age of Xers at 50 and Millenials at 30.

Ooo........ good catch!  Millenials are nowhere near 40 yet.

Apparently Ascheim isn't too good at math.   ^-^

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
Ooo........ good catch!  Millenials are nowhere near 40 yet.

Apparently Ascheim isn't too good at math.   ^-^

They're trying to pretend the Xers don't exist anymore, because we didn't play ball with their liberal hopes and dreams. Desperate as hell to create their new liberal hippie generation to replace the Boomers. If that don't work out they can move on like pedophiles to the next one.
The Republic is lost.

Offline musiclady

They're trying to pretend the Xers don't exist anymore, because we didn't play ball with their liberal hopes and dreams. Desperate as hell to create their new liberal hippie generation to replace the Boomers. If that don't work out they can move on like pedophiles to the next one.

Interesting thought.  I think you're on to something there.

The left is filled with vultures who want to devour any decency we have left in this culture, and they'll do whatever it takes to get it done.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
Interesting thought.  I think you're on to something there.

The left is filled with vultures who want to devour any decency we have left in this culture, and they'll do whatever it takes to get it done.

Picked up on it when I noticed a shift in the entertainment industry  about 5 years ago from the '60 was the new 30' from the liberal Boomers to recycling the 'Don't trust anyone over 30' thing from the 60's and the sudden Millenial hate for anything 'old'. They are about as subtle as a club to the face.
The Republic is lost.

Offline musiclady

Picked up on it when I noticed a shift in the entertainment industry  about 5 years ago from the '60 was the new 30' from the liberal Boomers to recycling the 'Don't trust anyone over 30' thing from the 60's and the sudden Millenial hate for anything 'old'. They are about as subtle as a club to the face.

Yeah........... and they think no one notices...   **nononono*