Author Topic: Atlanta Radio Host Unloads Ugly Twitter Tantrum on Female ESPN MLB Analyst  (Read 5678 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Atlanta Radio Host Unloads Ugly Twitter Tantrum on Female ESPN MLB Analyst
Don Carson

A two-time softball Olympic medalist, Mendoza has filled in capably for Curt Schilling over the last month as the ESPN Sunday Night Baseball analyst served his suspension for controversial social media posts made in late August.

Mendoza's done well with the opportunity—so well that ESPN brought her on to work Tuesday night's AL Wild Card showdown between the New York Yankees and Houston Astros, making her the first woman ever to do analysis for a nationally televised MLB postseason game.

Predictably, however, Mendoza's milestone was received with push-back, and a boorish cross-section of America's downtrodden male population lifted its knuckles from the dirt to shake a fist at the sound of a female voice speaking during a baseball game.

More surprisingly (or not), one among their number was Bell—ostensibly a media professional employed in 2015.

Seeing Mendoza on the broadcast, Bell rifled off a tweet straight out of 2004. He called Mendoza "Tits McGhee" and wondered aloud what a female Olympian would ever know about the male version of her sport:

more at:   http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2576726-atlanta-radio-host-unloads-ugly-twitter-tantrum-on-female-espn-mlb-analyst

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

I completely lost it last night with this politically correct nonsense.   Had to turn the audio off.

Let's face it....with all the bullshit graphics you see on the screen, who the hell needs audio anyway.

She sucked.

For ESPN to do this....and for a freaking PLAYOFF GAME on top of it?

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
At this point, it's the nature of the business. Look at any NFL telecast. All the sideline reporters are women, most of whom have no qualifications other than looks and maybe a communications degree. At least Ms. Mendoza has played the sport and knows something about it. I didn't catch last night's game so I can't give an assessment of how she did.

But the real sin here is, once again, the rush to political correctness. It's not enough to say that Mike Bell was in poor taste to say what he did—and to criticize her for being a woman was indeed in poor taste. No, the politically correct dogma of the day now dictates that we are not allowed to criticize a woman, lest we be portrayed as neanderthals. Our very real concerns about losing our place in this world get routinely mocked by women eager to find some way into the business of sport. This being the Internet, I am not at liberty to say precisely why that is, but it appears that even thinking of these things puts me in jeopardy, no matter how true.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Our very real concerns about losing our place in this world get routinely mocked by women eager to find some way into the business of sport. This being the Internet, I am not at liberty to say precisely why that is, but it appears that even thinking of these things puts me in jeopardy, no matter how true.

Losing our place? What place - was there a queue system, or were we allocated a place at birth or what?

You want a place in the world - make one. It's on you and no one else to do that. Anyone who whines about "losing their place" or people "not staying in their place" is a failure as a person, far as I'm concerned.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline flowers

I have said from the get-go women do not belong on the sidelines or in the locker rooms. From day 1 I said it and still feel that way.

Offline aligncare

Losing our place? What place - was there a queue system, or were we allocated a place at birth or what?

You want a place in the world - make one. It's on you and no one else to do that. Anyone who whines about "losing their place" or people "not staying in their place" is a failure as a person, far as I'm concerned.

:pondering:

Hmm. You know how I hate having to think about things.

Offline musiclady

I have said from the get-go women do not belong on the sidelines or in the locker rooms. From day 1 I said it and still feel that way.

Why not on the sidelines?  Some women are very knowledgeable about sports and do very well.  Being male doesn't make you qualified to be a sports analyst, and being female does not disqualify you.

In the locker rooms.......... I completely agree.  Different issue.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online DCPatriot

At this point, it's the nature of the business. Look at any NFL telecast. All the sideline reporters are women, most of whom have no qualifications other than looks and maybe a communications degree. At least Ms. Mendoza has played the sport and knows something about it. I didn't catch last night's game so I can't give an assessment of how she did.

Nonsense.  She played SOFTBALL.   She knows NOTHING about baseball and the strategies involved.  G.T.F.O! 

But the real sin here is, once again, the rush to political correctness. It's not enough to say that Mike Bell was in poor taste to say what he did—and to criticize her for being a woman was indeed in poor taste. No, the politically correct dogma of the day now dictates that we are not allowed to criticize a woman, lest we be portrayed as neanderthals. Our very real concerns about losing our place in this world get routinely mocked by women eager to find some way into the business of sport. This being the Internet, I am not at liberty to say precisely why that is, but it appears that even thinking of these things puts me in jeopardy, no matter how true.

I'm not anti-women when it comes to baseball, etc..

IMO, Sam [Samantha] Ryan and Heidi Watney who are hosts on Major League Basebll (MLB) Network are awesome.  But what they do is narrate video of baseball highlights.   I have no idea if they write their scripts, or they just read them.   

But last night's venture as a huge fail and.....I'm out.!   
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 07:26:12 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
If women can do it well and have the knowlege to show that they deserve the opportunity...then great, no problem at all with me.  However, what we see today is that networks appear to believe that they must have women in the booth or on the sidelines - it is affirmative action to them - because now there MUST be women on the broadcast.  No woman has played major league baseball or NFL football, and that makes it more difficult for them to fill these roles and understand the game at the same level as men who have that experience.  Not impossible, just much more difficult.  I would expect that those "deserving" one of these would be a rather limited cohort.  Yet, every game MUST have women on the broadcast team.  It is affirmative action at that point.  And insidious political correctness.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I completely lost it last night with this politically correct nonsense.   Had to turn the audio off.

Let's face it....with all the bullshit graphics you see on the screen, who the hell needs audio anyway.

She sucked.

For ESPN to do this....and for a freaking PLAYOFF GAME on top of it?

Me to! And I thought I was the only one!

Every time she opened her mouth I repeated the same line under my breath. "And just what the hell do YOU know about it?"
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 07:45:01 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline famousdayandyear

Re: Atlanta Radio Host Unloads Ugly Twitter Tantrum on Female ESPN MLB Analyst
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 07:44:36 pm »
Nonsense.  She played SOFTBALL.   She knows NOTHING about baseball and the strategies involved.  G.T.F.O! 

I'm not anti-women when it comes to baseball, etc..

IMO, Sam [Samantha] Ryan and Heidi Watney who are hosts on Major League Basebll (MLB) Network are awesome.  But what they do is narrate video of baseball highlights.   I have no idea if they write their scripts, or they just read them.   

But last night's venture as a huge fail and.....I'm out.!

FOX, starting last year, swapped out their very credible, no-nonsense NFL sideline reporter, Pam Oliver, for the insipid Erin Andrews (or whatever her name is) as part of the A Team talent.  I will not watch her.  Life's hard enough.  I just can't.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 07:54:23 pm »
FOX, starting last year, swapped out their very credible, no-nonsense NFL sideline reporter, Pam Oliver, for the insipid Erin Andrews (or whatever her name is) as part of the A Team talent.  I will not watch her.  Life's hard enough.  I just can't.

:beer:

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 07:56:16 pm »
Me to! And I thought I was the only one!

Every time she opened her mouth I repeated the same line under my breath. "And just what the hell do YOU know about it?"

LOL!  Did you notice the expression on ex Phillie's reliever John Kruk's face in the booth?  He was NOT a happy camper. 

He was leaning away from her to such a degree, I thought he was going to fall out of his chair/seat.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 07:56:43 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 08:03:46 pm »
Apropos of just about nothing, but I was raised in a baseball family.
Father pitched some minors, both brothers played the game.
I, on the other hand, played softball.  As much as I love baseball,
I could never ever ever ever be competitive.

Softball is not anything like baseball.  In those days, softball had different positions.  I played "short field", as an example. 

Re the topic: How could she possibly describe pitching calls?

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 08:21:07 pm »
Apropos of just about nothing, but I was raised in a baseball family.
Father pitched some minors, both brothers played the game.
I, on the other hand, played softball.  As much as I love baseball,
I could never ever ever ever be competitive.

Softball is not anything like baseball.  In those days, softball had different positions.  I played "short field", as an example. 

Re the topic: How could she possibly describe pitching calls?

It's harder for older guys too....who were weaned on Vin Scully and Jon Miller.   

Offline flowers

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 08:31:14 pm »
Why not on the sidelines?  Some women are very knowledgeable about sports and do very well.  Being male doesn't make you qualified to be a sports analyst, and being female does not disqualify you.

In the locker rooms.......... I completely agree.  Different issue.
Most of the females are horrible when on the sidelines. Affirmative action on display. They are hired for their looks mostly.

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 08:37:19 pm »
It's harder for older guys too....who were weaned on Vin Scully and Jon Miller.

Yep.  For me, it was Red Barber.
Good times, then.   Sittin' in the catbird seat.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 08:44:07 pm »
Apparently the poor little girl is above criticism, but fortunately the big, brave man came to her defense.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2015, 08:51:24 pm »

I speak more in general than in regard to any specific place.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2015, 08:58:19 pm »
I've played both. It's the same sport, just a different level of competition. The only difference is the pitching style. The strategies are pretty much the same, especially in fastpitch, which is what she played. (Slowpitch is another beast altogether. There, the strategies are a lot different.)

The only real difference is to be able to compensate for the differences in speed. Softball plays on a smaller field so it roughly evens out. Someone like Ms. Mendoza would experience the game somewhere along the lines of a lower-end minor league player. You'll probably never get MLB-equivalent experience out of any woman, but hers is about as close as you're going to get. We're not talking about playing the game head to head. We're talking about observing the game, offering insight.

Now, as I said, I don't know how she actually performs as an analyst. I've seen a lot of very experienced players make for lousy analysts, so it's not the only requirement.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2015, 09:15:07 pm »
LOL!  Did you notice the expression on ex Phillie's reliever John Kruk's face in the booth?  He was NOT a happy camper. 

He was leaning away from her to such a degree, I thought he was going to fall out of his chair/seat.

Yeah! As a matter of fact I did notice! He doesn't care for this PC BS any more than we do!

BTW: I played a LOT of baseball in my youth! Some of which was in the then Houston Colt .45s organization.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2015, 09:18:12 pm »
Yep.  For me, it was Red Barber.
Good times, then.   Sittin' in the catbird seat.

How a bout Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reece?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2015, 09:46:53 pm »

A little off topic, but it was Pee Wee Reese who stood up among the Dodger players in support of Jackie Robinson.   Not only the best short stop of all time, but a great human being.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2015, 10:13:05 pm »
Most of the females are horrible when on the sidelines. Affirmative action on display. They are hired for their looks mostly.

On that I also agree. I completely, absolutely oppose affirmative action.

I just don't dismiss women commentators out of hand just because they are women any more than I think men are qualified just because they're men.

People should be evaluated on merit only, and that's clearly not what's happening now.  (Most women in most places are hired mostly for looks...... but I consider that a part of the problem of sexism.  I know that's not a popular position here, but sexism is a real thing, and it really has hampered qualified women for a very long time).

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2015, 10:13:40 pm »

Dizzy Dean could barely put a sentence together, but he was a hoot.  ^-^