Author Topic: US Commander: Obama 'Well Aware of the Tenuous Security Situation' in Afghanistan  (Read 544 times)

rangerrebew

US Commander: Obama 'Well Aware of the Tenuous Security Situation' in Afghanistan
By Susan Jones | October 6, 2015 | 11:21 AM EDT

(CNSNews.com) - In the two years since the United States stopped combat operations in Afghanistan, transitioning to an advisory role, things have changed in that country, and not for the better, General John F. Campbell, the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, told Congress on Tuesday.

"As the upsurge in insurgent violence in the Northern Helmand (Province) and Kunduz shows, Afghanistan is again at a decisive point," Campbell told the Senate Armed Services Committee. He said President Obama "is well aware of the tenuous security situation.

"And I also appreciate that he has many other global issues to weigh as he considers my recommendations. My role is to provide him my best military advice, based upon my assessment of the conditions on the ground."

Campbell did not say what military options he is presenting to the president for 2016 and beyond, but he did indicate that the current plan to reduce drastically reduce the U.S. troop level next year needs to change.

"If we fail in this worthwile mission, Afghanistan will once again become a sanctuary for al Qaeda and other terrorists bent on attacking our interests and our citizens abroad and at home," Campell warned.

Campbell also said Islamic State fighters would rapidly expand "if a vacuum arose" in Afghanistan -- sowing unrest through Central and South Asia and potentially targeting the U.S. homeland.

"The hard work and the sacrifices of countless coalition military personnel and civilians over the last 14 years have created the conditions in which Afghans can and are now taking responsibility for their own security and governance," Campbell said. And while the Afghans welcome the opportunity to shape their destiny -- "they still desire, need and deserve our assistance."

Committee Chairman John McCain (R-Ariz.) noted that the administration's current plan calls for the U.S. troop presence to drop from its current 10,000 level to an embassy-based security operation only 1,000 in 2016.

McCain asked if conditions on the ground warrant a change to the current planning for another troop drawdown:

"Based on conditions on the ground, based on the transitions I've talked about, I do believe that we have to provide our senior leadership options different than the current plan that we're going with. Absolutely," Campbell agreed.

"The current plan right now...is embassy-based presence. As I take a look at conditions on the ground...when the president made that decision, it did not take into account the change over the last two years. And so the courses of action that I have provided to my senior leadership provide options to adjust that."

'Uneven performance' of Afghan fighters expected to persist

In his opening statement, Campbell noted there are still many weeks left in the traditional fighting season, and "intense combat continues in many parts of the country."

He said both the Afghans and U.S.-led coalition were "surprised" that the Taliban was able to temporarily seize the northern city of Kunduz from within.

"The Afghan security forces have been severely tested this year, but they continue to fight hard," Campbell said. "There was no winter lull, and since February, the fighting has been nearly continuous. Casualties on both sides have risen, and the violence has moved beyond the traditional insurgent strongholds."

Further complicating the situation, Campbell said fighting in Pakistan has sent more insurgents into eastern and northern Afghanistan. The Taliban has "increased the tempo" of their operations following the death of their spiritual leader, Mullah Omar. And the arrival of Islamic State fighters "has further complicated the theater landscape and potentially expanded the conflict."

Although the Afghan Security Forces are holding on, they no longer have the close air support they enjoyed two years ago, when 140,000 coalition troops were helping them. Now there are fewer than 14,000 coalition troops -- around 10,000 of them American -- and close air support is the exception, not the norm.

"Collectively, the Afghan Security Forces are adapting to these changes, and in some places, they're struggling," the general said.

He said the Afghan Security Forces must improve their intelligence, command and control, and utilization of their forces. "They don't posses the necessay combat power and numbers to protect every part of the country. This makes it very difficult for the Afghan Security Forces to counter the Taliban's ability to temporarily mass, seize an objective, then blend back into the population."

Ultimately, Afghan leaders need to better discern "when to fight, when to hold, and when to assume risk."

Campbell said the Afghans' "uneven performance" this year "underscores that the shortfalls will persist beyond this year."

On the positive side, Campbell said the new Afghan government is cooperating with the United States.

And he noted that President Ghani "has asked NATO and the U.S. to provide some flexibily in our planning to account for the fact that his government remains in transition, while the threats he is facing are changing."