Author Topic: Record 63.2 million non-English speaking residents, surge in Arabic, Chinese, Spanish  (Read 1575 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/census-record-63.2-million-non-english-speaking-residents-surge-in-spanish-arabic/article/2573476

More than one in five U.S. residents speak a language other than English at home, a record, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

In an analysis of the recent Census American Community Survey, a huge surge was recorded in those who speak Chinese, Spanish, Arabic and Urdu, Pakistan's national language.

The report from the Center for Immigration Studies documented the growth of immigrants in the United States and provided evidence of concerns new immigrants are slow to assimilate into American culture, namely by speaking English at home.

Offline aligncare

I'd say this was a factoid, if it weren't so deadly serious: Arabic is the fastest-growing language in America. Out strips Spanish by a wide margin.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
I would like to know how many English-speaking residents were let in our country since 2009.     :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Relic

All according to plan.

The ride is going to get very bumpy.

Offline famousdayandyear

Let's be sure to REALLY take care of our spec op veterans.
Many speak arabic, pashto, urdu--whatever.

Me, I only studied two semesters of Russian.  Not enough to converse with (I have always predicted) our future allies against aggressive islam.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Good grief.  It seems the numbers go up a couple of million every week. 

And, I still hear news-readers refer to "11 million" illegal aliens.  (Yes, I know the two numbers are not necessarily the same, but the first belies the second.)

Offline flowers

How many of the 63.2m will vote democrat? :smokin: I bet most of them. Heck they are probably getting freebies too.

Offline flowers

Good grief.  It seems the numbers go up a couple of million every week. 

And, I still hear news-readers refer to "11 million" illegal aliens.  (Yes, I know the two numbers are not necessarily the same, but the first belies the second.)
They have been using that 11mil number for 6 years. I read 37m on food stamps, got that number from a gov info. Then I see this and know the number must be 60mil on freebies.

Offline xfreeper

This, along with rank corruption and incompetence in all branches and levels of government, is a major reason why the country is becoming a place I loathe.

Godzilla

You do realize that this just measures the number of people that can speak another language other than English?

By that definition, I fit in this category.  And if anyone here knows more than just English, so do you.

From the article:

"According to the Center's analysis released to Secrets Tuesday morning, in 2014, a record 63.2 million U.S. residents — native-born, legal immigrants, and illegal immigrants — spoke a language other than English at home."
---

But it got everyone to panic and froth at the mouth about illegals, didn't it? 

This is a textbook example of propaganda.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 09:31:48 pm by Godzilla »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
You do realize that this just measures the number of people that can speak another language other than English?

By that definition, I fit in this category.  And if anyone here knows more than just English, so do you.

From the article:

"According to the Center's analysis released to Secrets Tuesday morning, in 2014, a record 63.2 million U.S. residents — native-born, legal immigrants, and illegal immigrants — spoke a language other than English at home."
---

English IS a tough language, isn't it?  You might want to try reading the article before you comment.

Offline mountaineer

This isn't just people who can speak another language, it's those for whom English is not their native tongue and they don't bother to speak it at home. In other words, it's people who don't care to assimilate.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads

From the article:

---

So what language do you speak at home?  Just curious.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Godzilla

So what language do you speak at home?  Just curious.

English.  I learned Hebrew and Korean as an adult.

Godzilla

This isn't just people who can speak another language, it's those for whom English is not their native tongue and they don't bother to speak it at home. In other words, it's people who don't care to assimilate.

Here is the article, please point out where it ever says that these numbers are for whom English is not their native tongue.  No doubt it does include them, but it specifically was a measure of *ANYONE* who can speak another language, period!  For *ANY* reason.

Only at the very end do we get a glimpse of the real numbers:

Of those who speak a foreign language at home, 25.6 million (41 percent) told the Census Bureau that they speak English less than very well.

---

More than one in five U.S. residents speak a language other than English at home, a record, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

In an analysis of the recent Census American Community Survey, a huge surge was recorded in those who speak Chinese, Spanish, Arabic and Urdu, Pakistan's national language.

The report from the Center for Immigration Studies documented the growth of immigrants in the United States and provided evidence of concerns new immigrants are slow to assimilate into American culture, namely by speaking English at home.

According to the Center's analysis released to Secrets Tuesday morning, in 2014, a record 63.2 million U.S. residents — native-born, legal immigrants, and illegal immigrants — spoke a language other than English at home. That represents a surge of 16.2 million since 2000 and 1.4 million just since 2013.

Overall, wrote the Center's Steven A. Camarota and Karen Zeigler, the number of non-English speakers has doubled since 1990.

The top findings in the report titled "One in Five U.S. Residents Speaks Foreign Language at Home:"

-Since 1990 the number of foreign language speakers has roughly doubled; the number has almost tripled since 1980.
    -In 2014, a record 63.2 million U.S. residents (native-born, legal immigrants, and illegal immigrants) spoke a language other than English at home. That number is up 16.2 million since 2000, up 3.6 million since 2010, and up 1.4 million just since 2013.
    -Taking a longer view, since 1990 the number of foreign language speakers has roughly doubled.
    -As a share of the population, 21 percent of U.S. residents speak a foreign language at home.
    -The largest percentage increases from 2010 to 2014 were among speakers of Arabic (up 29 percent), Urdu (up 23 percent), Hindi (up 19 percent), Chinese and Hmong (both up 12 percent), and Gujarati and Persian (both up 9 percent). Urdu is spoken in Pakistan; Hindi and Guajarati are languages of India; Hmong is spoken in Laos; Persian is spoken in Iran.
    The largest numerical increases from 2010 to 2014 were among speakers of Spanish (up 2.3 million), Chinese (up 331,000), Arabic (up 252,000), Tagalog (up 115,000), Hindi (up 114,000), and Urdu (up 89,000). Tagalog is spoken in the Philippines.[/li][/list]

Languages with more than a million speakers in 2014 were Spanish (39. 3 million), Chinese (3.1 million), Tagalog (1.7 million), Vietnamese (1.5 million), French (1.2 million), and Korean and Arabic (1.1 million each).

Of school-age children (five to 17), 22 percent speak a foreign language at home.

Many of those who speak a foreign language at home are not immigrants. Of the more than 63 million foreign language speakers, 44 percent (27.7 million) were actually born in the United States.

Of those who speak a foreign language at home, 25.6 million (41 percent) told the Census Bureau that they speak English less than very well.
    « Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 10:48:27 pm by Godzilla »

Offline alicewonders

English.  I learned Hebrew and Korean as an adult.

But the 63.2 million figure cited refers to U.S. residents that speak a language other than English at home.

Quote from: Godzilla on Today at 05:29:21 PM

I don't think it refers to how many residents can speak other languages - it says that is the number that speaks another language AT HOME.

That's why I was curious what language you speak at home.

Godzilla

But the 63.2 million figure cited refers to U.S. residents that speak a language other than English at home.

Quote from: Godzilla on Today at 05:29:21 PM

I don't think it refers to how many residents can speak other languages - it says that is the number that speaks another language AT HOME.

That's why I was curious what language you speak at home.

I just said "Hello" in Korean.  That means I just spoke a foreign language at home.  I now qualify for just saying one word.  I read a Korean news article today about the TPP, too. 

My parents can speak Yiddish, too.  And they'd use it relatively frequently.

Only at the end did the article mention how many could not speak English well.

---

It's this sort of shady reporting that is why people don't trust the media.
    « Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 10:54:51 pm by Godzilla »

Offline alicewonders

I just said "Hello" in Korean.  That means I just spoke a foreign language at home.  I now qualify for just saying one word.  I read a Korean news article today about the TPP, too. 

My parents can speak Yiddish, too.  And they'd use it relatively frequently.

Only at the end did the article mention how many could not speak English well.

---

It's this sort of shady reporting that is why people don't trust the media.

Well, I interpret the article differently than you - 나는 당신이나 내 거짓말을 눈을 믿을 것입니다?

Godzilla

Well, I interpret the article differently than you - 나는 당신이나 내 거짓말을 눈을 믿을 것입니다?

그것이 벼룩간도 빼어먹을 신문 기사를 입니다.

(colloquial for 'this is a 'con' news article.')  Literally means "This is a news article that'll convince ticks to eat their own livers."
    « Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 11:15:34 pm by Godzilla »

Offline alicewonders

그것이 벼룩간도 빼어먹을 신문 기사를 입니다.

(colloquial for 'this is a 'con' news article.')  Literally means "This is a news article that'll convince ticks to eat their own livers."

:silly:

Blame Google Translate!

Offline famousdayandyear

Police Dispatch (near future):  Unit 723 request Urdu speaker at the scene. 

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
    Sanguine wrote above:
    [[ And, I still hear news-readers refer to "11 million" illegal aliens...]]

There are still posters in this very forum who use "that number".
    Over and over again.

What fools they be....!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
    Sanguine wrote above:
    [[ And, I still hear news-readers refer to "11 million" illegal aliens...]]

There are still posters in this very forum who use "that number".
    Over and over again.

What fools they be....!

Now, I'm not saying it's a coordinated effort, but it does seem odd that illegal alien apologists use that very same number pretty much everywhere.

:pondering:

Offline aligncare

Police Dispatch (near future):  Unit 723 request Urdu speaker at the scene.

I just don't get it. Why are so many anxious to erase our own borders? Especially a country as welcoming as America. All we ask when you come here is that you become American.

You can emigrate to France and never become French. Emigrate to Spain and never become Spanish. Emigrate to Germany and never become German.

But, emigrate to America, and you can become an American.

Offline famousdayandyear

I just don't get it. Why are so many anxious to erase our own borders? Especially a country as welcoming as America. All we ask when you come here is that you become American.

You can emigrate to France and never become French. Emigrate to Spain and never become Spanish. Emigrate to Germany and never become German.

But, emigrate to America, and you can become an American.

Does the phrase "global caliphate" ring a bell?