Author Topic: Erdoğan asks: Why is Russia so interested in Syria?  (Read 2148 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Erdoğan asks: Why is Russia so interested in Syria?
« on: October 03, 2015, 08:34:15 am »
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has questioned Russia's motives in its airstrikes in Syria.

"We look after two million people. Russia does not. Why is Russia so interested in Syria? I want to understand this," Erdoğan said in a televised interview with Al-Jazeera aired late Oct. 2, referring to Syrian refugees in Turkey. "Russia has no border with Syria, but I have a 911-kilometer-long border. I am disturbed with what is happening now."

Russia on Sept. 30 launched its first military engagement outside the former Soviet Union since the occupation of Afghanistan in 1979, with warplanes bombing opponents of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

The U.S. and several of its allies, including Turkey and Saudi Arabia, issued a joint statement Oct. 1 expressing concern over the target of Russian airstrikes.

Although Moscow insisted that it hit Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) jihadists, Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu accused Russia earlier Oct. 2 of targeting moderate Syrian rebels.

Read more: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/erdogan-asks-why-is-russia-so-interested-in-syria.aspx
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Godzilla

Re: Erdoğan asks: Why is Russia so interested in Syria?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 01:56:37 pm »
Russia wants to keep it's naval base in Syria... and would like more bases.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 03:27:42 pm »
Russia wants to keep it's naval base in Syria... and would like more bases.

That is the obvious reason.  I think too, that he's tired of watching Obama pretend to go after ISIS and he's going to step up and take care of it his way.  I don't have a problem with going after the Syrian rebels, if that is what really happened, because it seems that most of them turn to ISIS as soon as they receive their weapons and training from us.  Obama's obsession of removing Assad from power stems from his desire to see the Muslim Brotherhood take over control of the middle east.  ISIS is the mercenary army that is doing the dirty work for them. 

It's pretty obvious.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Godzilla

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 04:31:09 pm »
That is the obvious reason.  I think too, that he's tired of watching Obama pretend to go after ISIS and he's going to step up and take care of it his way.  I don't have a problem with going after the Syrian rebels, if that is what really happened, because it seems that most of them turn to ISIS as soon as they receive their weapons and training from us.  Obama's obsession of removing Assad from power stems from his desire to see the Muslim Brotherhood take over control of the middle east.  ISIS is the mercenary army that is doing the dirty work for them. 

It's pretty obvious.

Erdogan is asking this to lead people to this conclusion, in the hopes that some will ask, "What are the ramifications of having an expanded Russian military presence in between Turkey, Iraq, Lebanon, Israel, and Jordan?"

Most won't, though.  My experience is that most people (here included) never think about the second order effects of anything. 

Example:

(While driving on the road) Oh, I missed my turn!  I'll just brake and turn around.  It's okay, for if I stop and turn around, I can get to my destination.

(Ramifications)  Stopping on a road will have the cars behind you have to stop.  Some may not stop in time, resulting in a rear-end collision.  Or they might stop in time, but the ones behind them may not, resulting in their rear-end collision.  And even in a best-case scenario, you've just left a massive traffic jam in your wake.

Just how many ponder those ramifications before that?  Close to none!

---

And most of my comments on hot-button issues regard the second-order effects.  IE: What are the consequences to any proposed change beyond that of the immediate.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 04:44:02 pm »
Erdogan is asking this to lead people to this conclusion, in the hopes that some will ask, "What are the ramifications of having an expanded Russian military presence in between Turkey, Iraq, Lebanon, Israel, and Jordan?"

Most won't, though.  My experience is that most people (here included) never think about the second order effects of anything. 

Example:

(While driving on the road) Oh, I missed my turn!  I'll just brake and turn around.  It's okay, for if I stop and turn around, I can get to my destination.

(Ramifications)  Stopping on a road will have the cars behind you have to stop.  Some may not stop in time, resulting in a rear-end collision.  Or they might stop in time, but the ones behind them may not, resulting in their rear-end collision.  And even in a best-case scenario, you've just left a massive traffic jam in your wake.

Just how many ponder those ramifications before that?  Close to none!

---

And most of my comments on hot-button issues regard the second-order effects.  IE: What are the consequences to any proposed change beyond that of the immediate.

I guess Americans should have considered the ramifications of re-electing Obama.  This is happening because of his policies.

Godzilla

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 04:47:32 pm »
I guess Americans should have considered the ramifications of re-electing Obama.  This is happening because of his policies.

Yes, we should have.

And some of our GOP voters should have considered the consequences on 'not voting' for Romney, too. 

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 04:49:41 pm »
Yes, we should have.

And some of our GOP voters should have considered the consequences on 'not voting' for Romney, too. 

yes they should have.

They should also consider the consequences of letting their emotions rule their minds and supporting Trump because it "feels so good".

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 05:00:25 pm »
Because they have zillions of Muslims both  off their backdoor and inside their own nest. Would we be doing anything different in that situation?
The Republic is lost.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 05:10:59 pm »
Yes, we should have.

Tell them that - I voted for Romney.  I also think blaming a few kooks on TOS who swore they would never vote for a Mormon is a gentle suggestion to obfuscate people from looking into the almost certainty that it was actually voter fraud that helped drag Obama over the victory line.  He was down in the polls after some sorry debate performances and Romney had the clear momentum.  There were precincts in the key state of Ohio that did not receive one single Romney vote. 

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 07:00:52 pm »
yes they should have.

They should also consider the consequences of letting their emotions rule their minds and supporting Trump because it "feels so good".

meh.....bringing Trump's name into the thread shows us all just how much he's under your skin.   Keep it up Counselor.   :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 07:09:10 pm »
Ignoring Trump, who has less to do with this subject than bumblebees do ...

Putin’s Mediterranean Power Play in Syria

Russia's activities in Syria are less about saving Assad and more about restoring Moscow's place in the key crossroads of the eastern Mediterranean.

Russian military action in Syria formally began this week, with the purportedly anti-terrorist mission reportedly launching dumb bombs at everybody but terrorists. But President Vladimir Putin’s dispatch of warships and fighter aircraft isn’t ultimately about aiding his embattled ally, Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad. Rather, it’s the latest expression of a geopolitical longing that’s embedded deep in Russia’s DNA: to establish a political and military foothold in the eastern Mediterranean.

Russian intervention is about far more than supporting Assad. It is a way to ensure that Moscow has a place at the table when Syria’s future is ultimately decided. Putin’s focus, in other words, is not on the presidential palace in Damascus, but 100 miles north, at the recently revamped port of Tartus, Russia’s only naval base on foreign soil and one that just happens to lie astride NATO’s southern flank.

“They don’t care whether Assad stays or not. They want to secure their interests, and they want to keep access to the Mediterranean for sure,” said Sijbren de Jong, an analyst at the Hague Center for Strategic Studies.

Russia’s Mediterranean adventure began centuries ago and has doggedly continued through tsars and commissars and wars hot and cold. Peter the Great turned Russia into a maritime nation with the capture of the fortress of Azov in 1696, which opened the Black Sea to Russian ships. But the Black Sea is a stoppered bottle unless it comes with control over the Turkish straits and the eastern Mediterranean. That quest, simple in conception but elusive in practice, explains much of Imperial Russian history in the 18th and 19th centuries, Soviet efforts in the 20th, and post-Soviet Russian gambits in the 21st, including Putin’s seemingly sudden lunge into the Syrian civil war now.

“More and more, there is a focus on the eastern Mediterranean, where Russia has strategic opportunities,” said Jeff Mankoff, acting director of the Russia and Eurasia program at the Center for Strategic and International Studies. “There is a perception that the United States is pulling out, and given the preexisting position that Russia has in Syria, it can do more to project power in the region.”

Read more: https://foreignpolicy.com/2015/10/02/putins-mediterranean-power-play-in-syria-navy-tartus-fleet/
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 07:10:02 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 07:20:56 pm »
meh.....bringing Trump's name into the thread shows us all just how much he's under your skin.   Keep it up Counselor.   :whistle:

Actually, what gets under my skin is watching people, such as yourself, whom I know to be intelligent swooning like the worst stereotypical teenie-bopper over a schmuck like Trump.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 07:24:54 pm »
Thanks for that POV, EC!

I'm seeing it this way.....we all know exactly what Obama's game plan is...installing an Islamic Republic stretching from Libya to its headquarters in Teheran.  With the Muslim Brotherhood in control.

Egypt, Jordan and Syria are in peril until Obama is GONE!   He's tried and failed in Egypt thanks to el-Sisi and his moderate military.  And he's gonna fail in Syria now too.

The USA, UN as well as Iran will think thrice before they try anything with a Russian fleet and military base 100 miles north of Damascus.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Godzilla

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015, 10:06:29 pm »
Thanks for that POV, EC!

I'm seeing it this way.....we all know exactly what Obama's game plan is...installing an Islamic Republic stretching from Libya to its headquarters in Teheran.  With the Muslim Brotherhood in control.

Egypt, Jordan and Syria are in peril until Obama is GONE!   He's tried and failed in Egypt thanks to el-Sisi and his moderate military.  And he's gonna fail in Syria now too.

The USA, UN as well as Iran will think thrice before they try anything with a Russian fleet and military base 100 miles north of Damascus.

No, we won't.  Russia has had that base since the hottest days of the Cold war.  It didn't stop us before and it won't in the future.  What it will do is make Turkey think twice, what with Russia to the north *AND* a Russian vassal-state to the south.

And it can draw Israel into their sphere of influence, as they can 'promise' to intercept any Iranian weapons shipments to Hizbollah or HAMAS.