Author Topic: Ridiculous News of the Day  (Read 538143 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Ridiculous News of the Day
« Reply #1500 on: August 30, 2018, 02:07:01 pm »
I wonder if the acid threw off the gators and led them to getting caught.

In unrelated news, I still have the six and eight foot gators in my slough.  No luck catching them over the past 10 days.

@thackney

I bet a rifle bullet can catch them.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline thackney

« Reply #1501 on: August 30, 2018, 02:09:26 pm »
@thackney

I bet a rifle bullet can catch them.

I've got too much to lose, and too many people that know about them, for the risk on a Federal Charge.  I have already opened a Nuisance Control Case with Texas Parks and Wildlife.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1502 on: August 30, 2018, 02:13:08 pm »
I've got too much to lose, and too many people that know about them, for the risk on a Federal Charge.  I have already opened a Nuisance Control Case with Texas Parks and Wildlife.

@thackney

There is a Feral law against killing dangerous monsters invading your territory?

If that is the case,call the feds and tell them to come get their damn pets.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline thackney

« Reply #1503 on: August 30, 2018, 02:21:55 pm »
@thackney

There is a Feral law against killing dangerous monsters invading your territory?

If that is the case,call the feds and tell them to come get their damn pets.

They can be killed, but there is a process to follow.  While no longer endangered, they are still protected.  And I need my federal and state paper to do my job.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #1504 on: August 31, 2018, 01:27:40 am »
They can be killed, but there is a process to follow.  While no longer endangered, they are still protected.  And I need my federal and state paper to do my job.

The process is really not that difficult.  We learned this in the second episode of South Park.

JIMBO
That there's a Rocky Mountain Black
Bear. One of the few remaining of
its kind. Isn't it beautiful?

The bear just sits there and blinks.

JIMBO
My God it's coming right for us!!!

Jimbo whips out his huge rifle and shoots the bear dead.

Stan can't believe his eyes.

STAN
Hey! It wasn't coming right for us!
It was just sitting there!

JIMBO
SHHH! Not so loud!! Now that there's
just a technicality.

KYLE
What d'ya mean?

JIMBO
You see boys, the Democrats have
passed a lot of laws trying to stop
us from hunting.

CARTMAN
Democrats piss me off!

JIMBO
They say we can't shoot certain
animals anymore unless they're posing
an immediate threat. Therefore, before
we shoot something, we have to say;
"It's coming right for us!"
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1505 on: August 31, 2018, 02:40:01 am »
Bride cancels wedding, breaks up with fiancé after friends and family refuse to pay for $60G nuptials

This is hilarious.  Read more at:

www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/2018/08/27/bride-cancels-wedding-breaks-up-with-fianc-after-friends-and-family-refuse-to-pay-for-60g-nuptials.html
Some day, that guy will drop to his knees and thank The Almighty that he dodged that bullet.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #1506 on: August 31, 2018, 02:42:25 am »
Maybe they'll come in, capture them and distribute them to a bunch of other sloughs where they can reproduce.....

Job Security, an' all that.....

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #1507 on: September 01, 2018, 10:14:23 pm »
Maybe they'll come in, capture them and distribute them to a bunch of other sloughs where they can reproduce.....

Job Security, an' all that.....

They don't do anything.  They just allow me to hire a licensed Alligator company that can operate under my permit.  I cannot do it myself without going through their certification.

But I did find a guy who would work with me to control cost.  Rather than charging for travel to come out to rebait, I take care of freshening up the chicken parts and checking the lines.  I call him if we get one.  I've gotten a big snapping turtle and lots of stolen baits, but no gators so far.  I even had to extend the permit time another ten days.

Today was fun.  While baiting another chicken onto a monster hook hanging over the slough, the 2 inch branch holding the line, and me, broke, sending me face first into the algae covered, alligator infested, water. All the time while I'm falling, looking straight down into water I cannot see past the algae, I am thinking EIGHT FOOT ALLIGATOR IN THERE!!!!

So, in spite of having dripping bait in my hand, no gators were seen. I did go completely under, along with my wallet and my 1 week old phone. We did decide to put insurance on it, unlike my old phone.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 10:15:17 pm by thackney »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1508 on: September 01, 2018, 10:28:10 pm »
They don't do anything.  They just allow me to hire a licensed Alligator company that can operate under my permit.  I cannot do it myself without going through their certification.

But I did find a guy who would work with me to control cost.  Rather than charging for travel to come out to rebait, I take care of freshening up the chicken parts and checking the lines.  I call him if we get one.  I've gotten a big snapping turtle and lots of stolen baits, but no gators so far.  I even had to extend the permit time another ten days.

Today was fun.  While baiting another chicken onto a monster hook hanging over the slough, the 2 inch branch holding the line, and me, broke, sending me face first into the algae covered, alligator infested, water. All the time while I'm falling, looking straight down into water I cannot see past the algae, I am thinking EIGHT FOOT ALLIGATOR IN THERE!!!!

So, in spite of having dripping bait in my hand, no gators were seen. I did go completely under, along with my wallet and my 1 week old phone. We did decide to put insurance on it, unlike my old phone.

Sorry, I'm not laughing AT you, but with you.   :laugh:

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #1509 on: September 01, 2018, 10:35:26 pm »

Eight foot?   Man up, dude.  Punch the little bugger on both sides of the head, and if that doesn't put him down pound him with the stumps until he stays down.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1510 on: September 02, 2018, 01:11:58 am »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I still think it is legal to shoot a lawyer in Texas.  Try and get the gators to pass the bar, then shoot 'em.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline thackney

« Reply #1511 on: September 02, 2018, 01:47:50 am »
Eight foot?   Man up, dude.  Punch the little bugger on both sides of the head, and if that doesn't put him down pound him with the stumps until he stays down.

They have killed one of my calves.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1512 on: September 02, 2018, 01:56:31 am »
They have killed one of my calves.

Up here, at that point. the 3s permit becomes valid.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #1513 on: September 02, 2018, 08:13:29 am »

Something about new phones and water....

Not to make light of your predicament, but I bet that was one for pay-per-view. :laugh:

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #1514 on: September 02, 2018, 08:14:16 am »
"But sheriff, we caught 'em rustlin', red-handed!"

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #1515 on: September 02, 2018, 12:57:36 pm »

I agree with the concept, but far too many people already know about them.  They were first found by contractors I hired to clear the area of brush and trees.  Plus the neighbors' kids and my own.

Offline thackney

« Reply #1516 on: September 02, 2018, 12:59:28 pm »
Sorry, I'm not laughing AT you, but with you.   :laugh:

Of course @Sanguine .  That is why I shared.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1517 on: September 02, 2018, 01:08:38 pm »
Some day, that guy will drop to his knees and thank The Almighty that he dodged that bullet.

The fiancé even suggested forgetting about the big wedding and marrying in Vegas instead, but she refused to compromise.  That doesn't bode well for a successful marriage. 

Yes, he was smart to get away from her as fast as he could.  No doubt he could see what married life would have been like with her if he had married her. 

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1518 on: September 02, 2018, 01:32:35 pm »
Sometimes you are better off being single. It’s not so bad being single.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1519 on: September 02, 2018, 01:52:53 pm »
Of course @Sanguine .  That is why I shared.

It would have scared the pea-waddling out of me!

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1520 on: September 02, 2018, 03:47:29 pm »
Sometimes you are better off being single. It’s not so bad being single.

I agree @Freya  My mother used to tell me if I didn't marry, I would be lonely.  Well, I'm not.  I have family and friends.  And there are many times when I would rather be alone.  Like right now.  I'm in my brand new recliner typing away on my laptop.  Later, I will binge watch something on Netflix or Amazon Prime.  A big bowl of popcorn and a drink and I'll be all set.  Might not be able to do those things if I were married.  Nothing wrong with being single.  It's a good life.

Offline thackney

« Reply #1521 on: September 02, 2018, 05:49:59 pm »
It would have scared the pea-waddling out of me!

That's okay, I was completely soaked.  No one would have noticed the extra moisture.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1522 on: September 02, 2018, 06:08:59 pm »
I agree with the concept, but far too many people already know about them.  They were first found by contractors I hired to clear the area of brush and trees.  Plus the neighbors' kids and my own.

Actually, I think defense of livestock is always legit and legal - caught in the act, I mean...  Might be off on griz... That always changes... But as a general rule, if there's dead livestock, and a dead predator, the warden ain't going to look too hard.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #1523 on: September 02, 2018, 06:53:14 pm »
This is ridiculous and furthermore, unbelievably bad. I didn't want to just make a post for it in the regular forum.  It's almost too difficult to believe, in PA.  I need to make a crack pipe so I cut the brake lines. Sheesh.  I think the comment at the article must be true, this was just a murder, cut the brake lines to cause an accident.

A mother of 5 died when her car hurtled into a tree. Police say her boyfriend cut the brake lines to make a crack pipe.

By Allyson Chiu, Washington Post
Published: September 2, 2018

Tammy Fox was driving along Pine Street, a quiet tree-lined road in Scranton, Pennsylvania, when suddenly her car started picking up speed. Zipping by cars parked along the side of the street, Fox pumped the brakes of her black Hyundai Sonata as it hurtled toward an intersection.

Accelerating at about 60 mph, it plowed into parked cars and hit a tree, according to Pennsylvania State Police and the Scranton Times-Tribune. A witness saw brake lights flash, but the car still didn’t slow down, according to the Times-Tribune.

Fox, a 38-year-old mother of five, died from "serious injuries sustained in the crash," police said. Organizers of a GoFundMe page raising money for her funeral expenses said Fox was killed "in a tragic car accident" on Aug. 22.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/A-mother-of-5-died-when-her-car-hurtled-into-a-tree-Police-say-her-boyfriend-cut-the-brake-lines-to-make-a-crack-pipe-_171358863

Those Colorado murders on a related note, that Chris Watts now, it appears was in a homosexual relationship, so kill your family to make room for that??? More terrible news.

https://hollywoodlife.com/2018/08/29/chris-watts-relationship-man-gay-lover-video/

Offline thackney

« Reply #1524 on: September 02, 2018, 07:33:37 pm »
Actually, I think defense of livestock is always legit and legal - caught in the act, I mean...  Might be off on griz... That always changes... But as a general rule, if there's dead livestock, and a dead predator, the warden ain't going to look too hard.

The dead livestock gave me permission to start a gator nuisance permit.  At the time, it was a dead calf found in the morning, dead for hours and no sign of the gator.  But the water in the slough is covered in plants, which I'm working on but it is a long haul to clear it.  We have been trying for ~2 weeks to catch one of the big ones.  I haven't seen the 6 or the 6 footer since before the calf was killed.

Honestly, I'm only guessing the gator killed the calf.  But it is the excuse I'm using to go after the gators out of season.