Author Topic: Tuna and mackerel populations suffer catastrophic 74% decline, research shows  (Read 467 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/sep/15/tuna-and-mackerel-populations-suffer-catastrophic-74-decline-research-shows

Tuna and mackerel populations have suffered a “catastrophic” decline of nearly three quarters in the last 40 years, according to new research. WWF and the Zoological Society of London found that numbers of the scombridae family of fish, which also includes bonito, fell by 74% between 1970 and 2012, outstripping a decline of 49% for 1,234 ocean species over the same period. The conservation charity warned that we face losing species critical to human food security, unless drastic action is taken to halt overfishing and other threats to marine life.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

bkepley

This is actually something a United Nations would be good for.  If everyone cooperates for just a couple of years it can be reversed.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Bit more than a couple of years - tuna is pretty slow growing, but yep. Worked for cod (sort of - quotas do cause their own problems). Worked for whales.

Something that actually makes sense, same as any agricultural land management program that doesn't involve soil banking or production subsidies (both of which are counter-productive and far more damaging in the long term than doing nothing.) The ocean is most definitely a shared resource and needs to be husbanded, same as anything else.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum