Author Topic: This is the America We Live in Now - Daniel Greenfield  (Read 716 times)

Offline andy58-in-nh

This is the America We Live in Now - Daniel Greenfield
« on: September 13, 2015, 01:39:26 pm »
This is the America We Live in Now

Posted by Daniel Greenfield @ the Sultan Knish blog 
Thursday, September 10, 2015

The two white beams memorializing the lost towers cut diagonally across the sky. On the empty white panel of a broken phone booth someone has scrawled "Free Kim Davis". And on another one and another one following someone's zigzag route through the East Village's maze of hipster joints.

This is the America we live in now.

We will spend 9/11 debating the merits of letting a terror state that helped the 9/11 hijackers go nuclear. #PeaceWins #LoveWins. The heat and humidity is broken by a thunderstorm. The faint lights vanish behind the clouds.

History must have grown tired of repeating itself because no one talks about it. That old kind of news has become a formality. Our news is a crazed jumble of Kardashians, pet videos and social justice outrages. Media is an ADD lifestyle section where all the outrages that matter are petty.

The big stuff, wars, moon landings, civilizations, doesn't matter. Everything has been reduced to the lowest common denominator of personal insecurities masquerading as politics and entertainment reduced to fame for fame's sake celebrities. All of it is calculated to match the workday routine of a twenty-something female college graduate working in media. Because that is mostly who writes it.

Today's Time or Washington Post make the old Entertainment Tonight look like serious journalism.

What used to be the media is a Tumblr of someone's favorite TV shows, celebrities, cat gifs and outrages of the moment. Its grasp of politics does not extend beyond its hashtag. Beneath its old fonts and styles is a jumble of social justice warrior phrases of political destruction.

Enemies are "Called out" in tweets and "Destroyed" by viral videos starring failed comedians. These enemies engage in futile "Freakouts", but are promptly destroyed once more by someone's abused three-year old who is encouraged to recite their support for trannies, eliminating borders or banning plastic bags by their pierced off-camera Munchhausen progressive politics-by-proxy stage mothers.

Then the failed comedians say something "Problematic" and are "Called Out" in turn and "Destroyed". Until it is learned that those who called them out have their own "Problematic" history and are "Called Out" and "Destroyed" by the fleas who live upon the fleas of the American dog. And so it must be until there is no one left to call out or destroy.

These are the wars we fight now. Share if you agree. You will be amazed at how we nailed losing 9/11. How these formal memorials perfectly capture the experience of losing a war to terrorists and their leftist allies will bring tears to your eyes. What happens next is not what you think. But mostly it's exactly what you think. It's wasted time, wasted minds and wasted lives.

This isn't America. It's just the occupied space where its culture used to be. It's a depersonalized culture of personalities. Its frivolity inversely proportional to the despair of its consumers. But it's also the America we live in now. It is the arrogance of its rulers, the mindless maze of their minds and the inner despair of their hearts.

Full article here: http://sultanknish.blogspot.com/2015/09/this-is-america-we-live-in-now.html
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline andy58-in-nh

Re: This is the America We Live in Now - Daniel Greenfield
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 01:44:29 pm »
I hate to be a "Debbie Downer" so to speak, in a cheap pop cultural reference, but I think Mr. Greenfield (a/k/a "Sultan Knish") is spot-on here.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 01:52:41 pm »
This lament, while eloquent, could have been spoken word for word by Plato. In fact it was.

The names change.
The technologies or "follies of the day" change.
The song remains the same, after nearly 2500 years.

Tells you more about the state of people than the state of the world, doesn't it.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 02:11:47 pm »
This lament, while eloquent, could have been spoken word for word by Plato. In fact it was.

The names change.
The technologies or "follies of the day" change.
The song remains the same, after nearly 2500 years.

Tells you more about the state of people than the state of the world, doesn't it.

"The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 B.C.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 02:25:41 pm »

It most certainly does.

The central conceit of Progressivism today, and of collectivism historically speaking, is a belief in the perfectibility of Man. The inevitable result of a society's rejection of objective standards, timeless values and enlightened self-government is not evolution, but devolution.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 02:32:17 pm »
It most certainly does.

The central conceit of Progressivism today, and of collectivism historically speaking, is a belief in the perfectibility of Man. The inevitable result of a society's rejection of objective standards, timeless values and enlightened self-government is not evolution, but devolution.

“Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall, when the wise are banished from the public councils, because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded, because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.”

Joseph Story, Commentaries on the Constitution, 1833

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 03:46:56 pm »
“Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall, when the wise are banished from the public councils, because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded, because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.”
Joseph Story, Commentaries on the Constitution, 1833

As EC averred, what is happening to America is nothing new as a matter of human history.

But it is depressing as all hell.

Perhaps... the only hope we have is the emergence of a national leader of unshakeable character, virtue, communicative ability, and love for America and for her Constitution.

I don't yet know who that person is, though I'm fairly certain about who it is not.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 06:51:45 pm »
As EC averred, what is happening to America is nothing new as a matter of human history.

But it is depressing as all hell.

Yes it is! Extremely so in fact! You would think that we (mankind) would have learned something by now.

Perhaps... the only hope we have is the emergence of a national leader of unshakeable character, virtue, communicative ability, and love for America and for her Constitution.

I don't yet know who that person is, though I'm fairly certain about who it is not.

I know of one man (there may be others as well) who is currently running that fits that description and it ain't Donald Trump!

- J. R. R. Tolkien