Author Topic: Clinton Spokesman: 'I Don't Know What Wiped Means'  (Read 494 times)

bkepley

Clinton Spokesman: 'I Don't Know What Wiped Means'
« on: September 03, 2015, 07:28:30 pm »
MICHAEL WARREN
TWS

A spokesman for Hillary Clinton told CNN he did not know what it means for a computer server to be "wiped."

Brian Fallon, Clinton's press secretary, spoke with CNN's Brianna Keilar about the news that a former IT staffer who worked on Clinton's private email server is pleading the Fifth Amendment in front of a congresional committee investigating the Benghazi terrorist attack.

Keilar pressed Fallon about why the former secretary of state deleted personal emails from her server, and the two had an exchange about the propriety of deleting those emails.

"Why didn't she keep them on the server?" Keilar asked.

"I don't know what the relevance, the pertinence of that would have been," Fallon replied. "She did keep a copy, an electronic copy in the possession of her lawyer." Fallon added that the State Department initially provided the so-called relevant emails in paper copy and then later Clinton lawyer David Kendall delivered them to the Justice Department in digital form.

"Just to be clear, Brian, this is an electronic copy that I imagine is a PDF form that David Kendall retained or is this the actual e-mail with the metadata on it?" Keilar pressed. Fallon said the Justice Department also has possession of the Clinton server. "I don't know what the FBI is going to do with it but they very well may seek to perform any kind of operation on it," Fallon said. Keilar interrupted to clarify. "The wiped server?" she said. "The wiped server, right, Brian?"

"I don't know what 'wiped' means," Fallon responded. "The e-mails were deleted."

What Keilar was pushing for was an answer to the question of whether or not the authorities had possession of the actual digital email files with attached metadata—the kind of data that might be able to determine when, how, and who might have deleted any emails. Finally, Fallon admitted the emails held by the Justice Department did not have the metadata.

More here: http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/clinton-spokesman-i-dont-know-what-wiped-means_1024643.html

Offline flowers

Re: Clinton Spokesman: 'I Don't Know What Wiped Means'
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 08:31:16 pm »
 :bsflag:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 10:11:56 pm »
Clinton campaign - the new staff recruitment poster:

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 01:05:08 am »
[[ What Keilar was pushing for was an answer to the question of whether or not the authorities had possession of the actual digital email files with attached metadata—the kind of data that might be able to determine when, how, and who might have deleted any emails. Finally, Fallon admitted the emails held by the Justice Department did not have the metadata. ]]

I'm sure the NSA has it.

They save copies of every email transaction in America -- this is what the giant new "Utah Data Center" is all about.

Encrypted emails draw even more scrutiny, particularly if [at least for now] the government can't break the encryption. Those emails are specifically "set aside" for further checking.

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 01:21:46 am »
That all depends on what "is" is.