Author Topic: Navy secretary wants Marine Corps infantry open to women  (Read 782 times)

rangerrebew

Navy secretary wants Marine Corps infantry open to women
« on: September 02, 2015, 02:23:17 pm »
Navy secretary wants Marine Corps infantry open to women
By Meghann Myers, Staff writer 6:36 p.m. EDT September 1, 2015

Marine infantry and special operations specialties will soon open to women, if the head of the Navy Department gets his way.

As deadlines loom on decisions about whether to allow women into front-line combat jobs, Navy Secretary Ray Mabus called for opening all billets to female troops who can meet the rigorous standards.

Marine officials will soon offer their recommendations, but Mabus, the civilian secretary who leads the Navy Department — including the Marine Corps — made clear that he must sign off on the decision to seek any exemptions to opening all jobs to women, and he hasn't had a change of heart.

"That's still my call, and I've been very public," Mabus said in an exclusive Sept. 1 interview. "I do not see a reason for an exemption."

Mabus said both sea services should keep physical standards unchanged.

His call for opening all military occupational specialties to women follows Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Jon Greenert's assertion in late August that the Navy would not seek an exemption for its legendary SEAL teams.

NAVY TIMES

Navy SEALs set to open to women, top admiral says

All of the services have until Oct. 1 to submit their exemption requests to Defense Secretary Ash Carter, and the Marine Corps has not indicated whether it intends to do so. Mabus, however, signaled that his mind was largely made up.

"My understanding of how the process works is that I'm the one that asks [the Defense Department] for the exemption," he said. "Now, other voices will be heard, the way [former Defense Secretary Leon] Panetta lined it up — I think, the way I read it — is that if the [Navy] Department doesn't ask for an exemption, they will open."
Marines with the Ground Combat Element Integrated Task

Marines with the Ground Combat Element Integrated Task Force participate in assessments at Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms, Calif. The task force was evaluating the integration of female Marines into artillery, infantry and mechanized military occupational specialties this summer. (Photo: Mike Morones/Staff)

While Mabus will have the last say for the Marine Corps' own billets, U.S. Special Operations Command must also sign off on the Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command troops it oversees, as with the Navy SEALs. If SOCOM does not seek an exemption, MARSOC and SEAL teams will open to women on Jan. 1, 2016, along with any other jobs still closed to women.

Marine brass have stayed tight lipped about whether they'll seek gender exclusions. In a July hearing for his confirmation as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Marine Corps Commandant Gen. Joseph Dunford did not let on whether a decision was in-hand.

"We have looked at this issue pretty hard," he told the Senate committee. "I expect the data that we've collected over the past 18 months in a very deliberate, responsible way to be available to me in the August-September timeframe. And we'll meet the timeline established by Secretary [Leon] Panetta and General [Martin] Dempsey in the letter from 2012."

MARINE CORPS TIMES

Marines' decision on women in combat expected in weeks

Dunford is on track to send his recommendations to Mabus in the next few weeks, his spokesman Lt. Col. Eric Dent told Marine Corps Times in late August.

Though Dunford is scheduled to assume the top Joint Chiefs role next month, officials said Dunford plans to make the recommendations regarding women in combat roles before Gen. (sel.) Robert Neller takes over as commandant.

http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/pentagon/2015/09/01/secnav-no-reason-not-open-marine-infantry-women/71529246/
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 02:24:20 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Re: Navy secretary wants Marine Corps infantry open to women
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 02:28:24 pm »
If the administration wants true equality, shouldn't women be required to register for the draft just like men?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 02:29:04 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 02:36:02 pm »
If the administration wants true equality, shouldn't women be required to register for the draft just like men?
:beer:

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 03:01:09 pm »
I have no problem with this as long as the women have to meet the same PT standards as the men. It's irresponsible to make women infantry if you're going to allow them to do it with half the physical capability. As a soldier in a war zone I want to know my battle buddy is strong enough to pull my ass to safety if things go bad.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates