Author Topic: Rancher Fights Back After EPA Fines Him Over $16 Million For Building This On His Property  (Read 257 times)

rangerrebew

Rancher Fights Back After EPA Fines Him Over $16 Million For Building This On His Property

In a lawsuit filed in the U.S. District Court on Thursday, he is arguing that the EPA overstepped its authority in the case.

Jack Davis August 28, 2015 at 11:13am
Share on Facebook Tweet Email Print

Wyoming rancher Andy Johnson believes a man’s land is a man’s land to use wisely. That’s why he built a stock pond for his animals and his family. The federal Environmental Protection Agency wants to teach Johnson a $16 million lesson in obedience to its will.

But Johnson is fighting back. In a lawsuit filed in the U.S. District Court on Thursday, he is arguing that the EPA overstepped its authority in the case.

“This goes a lot further than a pond,” he said. “It’s about a person’s rights. I have three little kids. I am not going to roll over and let [the government] tell me what I can do on my land. I followed the rules.”

Johnson, of Fort Bridger, built a stock pond for his animals back in 2012. He said he was sure to get every last necessary permit from the Wyoming authorities.

This was more than just a farming project. He and his wife Katie spent hours creating not just a watering hole, but a place for his family to enjoy ducks and geese, as well as a private playground for his children.

“We went through all the hoops that the state of Wyoming required, and I’m proud of what we built,” Johnson said. “The EPA ignored all that.”

The EPA claimed Johnson violated the Clean Water Act. They ordered him to return his property to the way it was before his work, with federal oversight required to be sure it was done their way. Dismantling his work within the 30 days the EPA gave him was “physically impossible,” Johnson said.

Johnson didn’t do what he was told. The EPA then started piling up fines of $37,000 per day, which since 2012 now total more than $16 million because he has not paid a cent.

Johnson admits he wants to win, but the case is about more than fines. It is about teaching his children how they should live.

“This is showing them that they shouldn’t back down,” Johnson said. “If you need to stand up and fight, you do it.”

http://www.westernjournalism.com/rancher-fights-back-after-epa-fines-him-over-16-million-for-building-this-on-his-property/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=StandWithTheBundys&utm_content=2015-08-31
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 12:55:33 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

What is that amendment about unusually excessive punishment?  Oh, yeah, the EPA hasn't heard of the Constitution.  This is like sentencing someone to sixteen years in prison for having an ounce of marijuana.