Author Topic: Mastermind Arrested In IRAN-Inspired 1996 Khobar Towers Attack That Killed 19 Americans  (Read 635 times)

Offline famousdayandyear

Mastermind Arrested In Iran-Inspired 1996 Khobar Towers Attack That Killed 19 Americans

2015-08-27 at 7.52.45 PM

But hey, don’t let Iran sponsoring terrorism stop us from giving them nuclear weapons…

Via Yahoo:

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — A man described as the mastermind of the 1996 Khobar Towers bombing that killed 19 American servicemen in Saudi Arabia has been captured, a U.S. and a Saudi official said Wednesday, ending a nearly two-decade manhunt for one of the FBI’s most-wanted terrorists.

Ahmed al-Mughassil was arrested in Beirut and transferred to Riyadh, the Saudi capital, according to the Saudi newspaper Asharq Alawsat. The Saudi Interior Ministry and Lebanese authorities had no immediate comment on the capture.

The 48-year-old suspect was described by the FBI in 2001 as the head of the armed wing of the once-active but shadowy Saudi Hezbollah group. The FBI had offered a $5 million reward for information leading to his arrest.

The June 25, 1996, truck bombing at the Khobar Towers, an eight-story dormitory in eastern Saudi Arabia for U.S. Air Force personnel assigned to the Gulf, killed 19 Americans and wounded 372 more. It was the deadliest such attack targeting U.S. forces since the 1983 bombing of the U.S. Marines’ barracks in Beirut that killed 241 American servicemen.

Al-Mughassil, also known as Abu Omran, is one of 14 people named in a 2001 indictment in Alexandria, Virginia, in connection with the bombing. Charges include murder of federal employees and bombing resulting in death.

The U.S. indictment said that elements of the Iranian government inspired, supported and supervised members of the Saudi Hezbollah group in the Khobar Towers attack, but it stopped short of naming any Iranian officials.

http://www.weaselzippers.us/232789-mastermind-arrested-in-iran-inspired-1996-khobar-towers-attack-that-killed-19-americans/

Offline famousdayandyear

Anyone know when the Senate votes on the Iran deal? 
The final agreement was dated July 14 or 15; there is a 60-day discussion period.  But I do not see a final vote date.  Important to oppose; and this current news appears to be importantly relevant.  Anyone interested?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Seen Sept 8th mentioned as final vote date, but honestly not sure where.

If this news will affect the vote - I don't think so, or if it does it'll be more cover for Dems to support than oppose the deal. "Look, we caught the guy, so we can be trusted to keep an eye on Iran."
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline famousdayandyear

Seen Sept 8th mentioned as final vote date, but honestly not sure where.

If this news will affect the vote - I don't think so, or if it does it'll be more cover for Dems to support than oppose the deal. "Look, we caught the guy, so we can be trusted to keep an eye on Iran."

Thanks for your response.

Pardon me for being frank, but no one here appears to give a flying fu*k about the vote coming up.  They are too wadded up in their britches about the fact that someone finally has the cajones to stand up to long-standing corruption in DC.

And they will ignore the vote because, well, they are "ignore-ant" of it.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Yep. It gets frustrating!

Lot of important things going on - I consider the vote on the Iran deal to be one of the top 3 in terms of world importance right now, never mind US importance (I think it is currently the top issue for the USA, but no one apart from you seems to agree) - but they get drowned in the "oh! Shiny!" bits.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Yep. It gets frustrating!

Lot of important things going on - I consider the vote on the Iran deal to be one of the top 3 in terms of world importance right now, never mind US importance (I think it is currently the top issue for the USA, but no one apart from you seems to agree) - but they get drowned in the "oh! Shiny!" bits.

Oh, there's plenty of us that are very concerned about the Iran deal.  There's been all kinds of posts about it.  The way I understand it, it's pretty much a done deal.  Am I understanding it correctly that there is not much Congress can do to stop it now?  Please correct me if I am wrong. 

As far as the "shiny bits", there is a contingent of people on this forum that, in my opinion, are trying to tear this place down - and I find it very frustrating.  I'm starting to feel like I'm back at Free Republic anymore.  Some obnoxious types making some disparaging observations about many of us here.  I'll admit I'm pretty discouraged about it too.  Too much deja vu for me.

But back to topic, please tell me what any of us can do to change the outcome of the Iran deal.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline famousdayandyear

Oh, there's plenty of us that are very concerned about the Iran deal.  There's been all kinds of posts about it.  The way I understand it, it's pretty much a done deal.  Am I understanding it correctly that there is not much Congress can do to stop it now?  Please correct me if I am wrong. 

As far as the "shiny bits", there is a contingent of people on this forum that, in my opinion, are trying to tear this place down - and I find it very frustrating.  I'm starting to feel like I'm back at Free Republic anymore.  Some obnoxious types making some disparaging observations about many of us here.  I'll admit I'm pretty discouraged about it too.  Too much deja vu for me.

But back to topic, please tell me what any of us can do to change the outcome of the Iran deal.

Alice, I agree with you that a hand full of people seem to be working 24/7 to bring this forum to a screeching halt.  Until the mods do something, it's going to continue.

As for the Iran vote, call your senator--especially if (cough) he/she is a Dem.   Several "senators", including Shaheen, Franken, and others have already SOLD their votes to the Iran lobby.

Just my thoughts.  Thanks for your input to the thread.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Alice, I agree with you that a hand full of people seem to be working 24/7 to bring this forum to a screeching halt.  Until the mods do something, it's going to continue.

As for the Iran vote, call your senator--especially if (cough) he/she is a Dem.   Several "senators", including Shaheen, Franken, and others have already SOLD their votes to the Iran lobby.

Just my thoughts.  Thanks for your input to the thread.

Thanks famous.  My senators are a mixed bag - Mitch McConnell (liar of the century) and Rand Paul.  They often cancel each other out!  My congressman is Thomas Massie and he is always on the ball - no complaints with him!

I'm not very hopeful about it.  I think we're already screwed.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!