Author Topic: Pollsters dumbfounded by Trump  (Read 12836 times)

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Pollsters dumbfounded by Trump
« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2015, 01:56:38 pm »
Trump's appeal is simple. Trump stands by what he says. He doesn't back down, he doesn't apologize, he doesn't "walk back" statements. There is no bowing down to the media or the ever shifting standards of political correctness. Trump speaks plainly, directly, and will back up what he says. I have yet to here a single case of Trump whining about being taken "out of context".

Consider this: The elite types come here and bash the base. We are inflexible idiots who are constantly applying the purity test. "Ronald Reagan couldn't get elected today!" is their battle cry. However, Trump has many flaws, and no one would ever suggest that Donald Trump is a model conservative. Many conservatives are willing to forgive, or overlook those deficiencies to get someone who will just say what he means, and mean what he says.

The political class created Donald Trump. Americans are sick of business as usual, and are willing to take a chance. If it harms the political class, that's a delightful bonus.

That's about as articulate as I've heard anyone say it Relic.  Trump is the creation of the GOPe, they have no one to blame but themselves.  I am loving watching them try to do damage control, but the horse is already out of the gate!

:beer:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2015, 02:02:24 pm »
That's about as articulate as I've heard anyone say it Relic.  Trump is the creation of the GOPe, they have no one to blame but themselves.  I am loving watching them try to do damage control, but the horse is already out of the gate!

:beer:

We argue among ourselves. But, no matter who wins those arguments, it's our children and grandchildren that will have to clean up the mess. Did I mention the mess is so huge, there's no guarantee they can successfully pull America back from the brink.

Offline evadR

« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2015, 04:38:24 pm »
Basically, it's the "Constanza Theory" writ large.  Everything that every politician has thought, wrote or said, do the opposite.
LOL..absolutely.
I tried that theory with what I thought were the right concepts about my golf swing.
It actually worked :)
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline evadR

« Reply #103 on: August 28, 2015, 04:57:40 pm »
Trump's appeal is simple. Trump stands by what he says. He doesn't back down, he doesn't apologize, he doesn't "walk back" statements. There is no bowing down to the media or the ever shifting standards of political correctness. Trump speaks plainly, directly, and will back up what he says. I have yet to here a single case of Trump whining about being taken "out of context".

Consider this: The elite types come here and bash the base. We are inflexible idiots who are constantly applying the purity test. "Ronald Reagan couldn't get elected today!" is their battle cry. However, Trump has many flaws, and no one would ever suggest that Donald Trump is a model conservative. Many conservatives are willing to forgive, or overlook those deficiencies to get someone who will just say what he means, and mean what he says.

The political class created Donald Trump. Americans are sick of business as usual, and are willing to take a chance. If it harms the political class, that's a delightful bonus.
Oh My God...AMEN!!!
That's going on my fb timeline. I will give full credit.

Offline evadR

« Reply #104 on: August 28, 2015, 05:02:55 pm »
First they'd need to go native on the mainstream media complex.   :pondering:
Yes, they need to destroy the mainstream ferals. I for one, believe it CAN be done.

bkepley

« Reply #105 on: August 28, 2015, 05:07:04 pm »
Yes, they need to destroy the mainstream ferals. I for one, believe it CAN be done.

How?  It's still a relatively free country.  The "mainstream ferals" are being destroyed by the availability of better alternatives.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #106 on: August 28, 2015, 05:08:39 pm »
"Many conservatives are willing to forgive, or overlook those deficiencies to get someone who will just say what he means, and mean what he says."

Hell, he doesn't even have to mean it, as long as he mocks political correctness I'll listen.

I'm easy.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline evadR

« Reply #107 on: August 28, 2015, 05:10:23 pm »
How?  It's still a relatively free country.  The "mainstream ferals" are being destroyed by the availability of better alternatives.
EXACTLY.
You destroy them with the truth and the balls to say it and act upon it.

You will have a country that's even more free. Choke them out with the truth.

Offline Relic

« Reply #108 on: August 28, 2015, 05:10:52 pm »
"Many conservatives are willing to forgive, or overlook those deficiencies to get someone who will just say what he means, and mean what he says."

Hell, he doesn't even have to mean it, as long as he mocks political correctness I'll listen.

I'm easy.

I've been meaning to talk to you about an extremely low interest "loan". 

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #109 on: August 28, 2015, 05:15:34 pm »
Maybe, just maybe, 8 years of depravity, deceit and fraud woke people up that have not been paying attention for the last 40 years?
Maybe people are realizing that you cannot trust the fox to guard the hen house any longer.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #110 on: August 28, 2015, 05:37:37 pm »
I've been meaning to talk to you about an extremely low interest "loan".

Hillary's sucked up all the capital...
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #111 on: August 28, 2015, 05:46:33 pm »
It was like working for the Sopranos.  I can never wash the stink off.  If anything can turn a person into a libertarian it's working as a Democrat operative.  Politics as practiced by Dems is racketeering under the legitimacy of law.  The GOP is better, but not innocent.  I know that for a fact.
It appears that IF one is to keep up in politics now, they need to be good at the social media aspect and throw in plenty of entertainment, to get any attention in our fast paced InfoWorld.

Trump has more entertainment creds than all the rest combined, so it shouldn't be surprising he is doing this well. So far the other 16 of them or so, are just so "2012" all over again.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #112 on: August 28, 2015, 05:59:48 pm »
It appears that IF one is to keep up in politics now, they need to be good at the social media aspect and throw in plenty of entertainment, to get any attention in our fast paced InfoWorld.

Trump has more entertainment creds than all the rest combined, so it shouldn't be surprising he is doing this well. So far the other 16 of them or so, are just so "2012" all over again.

The example I use with my marketing students is to liken consumer resistance today to resistant infections.  The way doctors fight resistant bacteria today is to come up with new antibiotics and then mix them with known antibiotics into "cocktails."  Chemotherapy works much the same way.

In marketing, we have to do the same thing to overcome consumer resistance.  In the old days we could just use television advertising, the old penicillin, if you will.  Today, we have to design "cocktails" of media and approach the consumer from many different points of entry, from mobile phones to e-mail, to internet, social media, as well as traditional media such as television.  Ideally, we'd like to come up with a different mix for each consumer, based on his or her media consumption habits.

Once the media problem is solved, the message has to be developed, and that too can be flexible according to who is targeted.  It's quite a sophisticated business, and growing more so. 

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #113 on: August 28, 2015, 06:11:08 pm »
The example I use with my marketing students is to liken consumer resistance today to resistant infections.  The way doctors fight resistant bacteria today is to come up with new antibiotics and then mix them with known antibiotics into "cocktails."  Chemotherapy works much the same way.

In marketing, we have to do the same thing to overcome consumer resistance.  In the old days we could just use television advertising, the old penicillin, if you will.  Today, we have to design "cocktails" of media and approach the consumer from many different points of entry, from mobile phones to e-mail, to internet, social media, as well as traditional media such as television.  Ideally, we'd like to come up with a different mix for each consumer, based on his or her media consumption habits.

Once the media problem is solved, the message has to be developed, and that too can be flexible according to who is targeted.  It's quite a sophisticated business, and growing more so.

So what you're really telling us is that you're the one responsible for commercial advertising being on FM radio?     :chairbang:

Seriously though...I hate YouTube 15 second commercials that cannot be stopped before you listen to a song to fit your mood at the time.

Talk about a buzz killer..... :shrug:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #114 on: August 28, 2015, 06:15:33 pm »
So what you're really telling us is that you're the one responsible for commercial advertising being on FM radio?     :chairbang:

Seriously though...I hate YouTube 15 second commercials that cannot be stopped before you listen to a song to fit your mood at the time.

Heck, you can't even take a wizz today without possibly seeing a urinal pad with an advertising message on it.  Literally nothing is out of bounds.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #115 on: August 28, 2015, 06:16:51 pm »

If you like your Trump, you can keep your Trump.

Go to his website, or use him as key words in Google searches, and all your YouTube's just might begin with 15 second Trump commercials, until you do enough additional searches to change your own personal algorithm results.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #116 on: August 28, 2015, 06:21:19 pm »

https://adblockplus.org/

Adblock stops pretty much all ads including youtube commercials.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #117 on: August 28, 2015, 06:24:00 pm »

Apparently, so are Luis, Once-Ler, Godzilla, Bkepley, Sinkspur, and Kevin Davis...to name a few.     :chairbang:

I'm not dumbfounded by Trump. I called this two years ago.

https://boilingfrogs.wordpress.com/2012/12/03/le-grand-rant-magnifique/
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 06:25:29 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Godzilla

« Reply #118 on: August 28, 2015, 07:19:12 pm »

Trump's appeal comes from the fact that he has scapegoated an entire sector of the population.  He says, "It's not your fault.  Everything wrong with America comes from illegals.  I'll get rid of them (ie: all the problems facing America).  Trust me.  I'm awesome... and rich!"

It's a very effective tactic.  Leaders worldwide use it.  For example, every time something goes wrong in North Korea, Kim Jong-Eun ratchets up the "It's the South Korean puppet regime's fault!"  Then engineers a situation were he can 'confront' them.

He also stirs up the ethnic superiority bit, extolling the Korean race and how pure it is.  That the Chinese and Japanese have polluted blood.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 07:31:21 pm by Godzilla »

Offline Relic

« Reply #119 on: August 28, 2015, 07:28:55 pm »
Trump's appeal comes from the fact that he has scapegoated an entire sector of the population.  He says, "It's not your fault.  Everything wrong with America comes from illegals.  I'll get rid of them (ie: all the problems facing America).  Trust me.  I'm awesome... and rich!"

It's a very effective tactic.  Leaders worldwide use it.  Every time something goes wrong in North Korea, Kim Jong-Eun ratchets up the "It's the South Korean puppet regime's fault!  Then engineers a situation were he can 'confront' them." 

He also stirs up the ethnic superiority bit, extolling the Korean race and how pure it is.  That the Chinese and Japanese have polluted blood.

I find it interesting, frustrating, and confusing how people hear what they want to and focus on small parts of a bigger picture.

Illegal immigration is an issue, and thank goodness for Trump bringing it to the fore. If he didn't, the political class would ignore it. Maybe, just maybe, Trump's antics will lead to a real solution, even if it's not Trump who implements it.

In the past, on this very forum, simply stating that illegal immigration is a problem, and calling for closing the border so that immigration can be legal, and somewhat orderly is enough to get a person called a bigot, a racist, or some variant of that.

There is more to what Trump is saying, but if you don't know that, me posting it won't sway you.

Disclaimer: I still don't trust Trump. He's too much of a snake oil salesman for me, but he is doing some good.

Godzilla

« Reply #120 on: August 28, 2015, 07:41:54 pm »
I find it interesting, frustrating, and confusing how people hear what they want to and focus on small parts of a bigger picture.

Illegal immigration is an issue, and thank goodness for Trump bringing it to the fore. If he didn't, the political class would ignore it. Maybe, just maybe, Trump's antics will lead to a real solution, even if it's not Trump who implements it.

In the past, on this very forum, simply stating that illegal immigration is a problem, and calling for closing the border so that immigration can be legal, and somewhat orderly is enough to get a person called a bigot, a racist, or some variant of that.

There is more to what Trump is saying, but if you don't know that, me posting it won't sway you.

Disclaimer: I still don't trust Trump. He's too much of a snake oil salesman for me, but he is doing some good.

The thing is, Trump doesn't talk about illegal immigration.  He talks about illegal immigrants.  How those people are the source of all the ills of America.  Then he talks about the children of illegals born here in the US, that they are not citizens either.

That transforms the illegal immigrant scapegoating into a notion of 'good blood, bad blood'.  That the children of illegals are no good, just as much at fault for all the ills of America as their parents... for they *HAVE* the blood of their parents.

I find that ideology betraying everything both we as conservatives believe in... and everything America itself stands for.  It's more appropriate to some pissant third-world hellhole.  Rwanda comes to mind. 

If it weren't for those d@#n Tutsi's, we'd all be living in a perfect country.  GET THEM!!!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 07:43:02 pm by Godzilla »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #121 on: August 28, 2015, 08:00:38 pm »
I posted the Peggy Noonan opinion piece today.

Much to my surprise, Rush Limbaugh spent some time on it today, explaining that Peggy is part of the "inside the beltway establishment".

She decided to go out and ask people ...ordinary folks...who they liked.  She is STUNNED that people of all nationalities, ideological stripes are behind Trump.

When asked what "ISSUES" are you in alignment with Trump, they say..."It's not about issues...it's a movement against the Washington Establishment who are destroying our freedoms and futures".

It's a MOVEMENT.

And you wonderful guys in the forum who are anti-Trump....get used to it.    :tongue2:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #122 on: August 28, 2015, 08:01:51 pm »
The thing is, Trump doesn't talk about illegal immigration.  He talks about illegal immigrants.  How those people are the source of all the ills of America.  Then he talks about the children of illegals born here in the US, that they are not citizens either.

That transforms the illegal immigrant scapegoating into a notion of 'good blood, bad blood'.  That the children of illegals are no good, just as much at fault for all the ills of America as their parents... for they *HAVE* the blood of their parents.

I find that ideology betraying everything both we as conservatives believe in... and everything America itself stands for.  It's more appropriate to some pissant third-world hellhole.  Rwanda comes to mind. 

If it weren't for those d@#n Tutsi's, we'd all be living in a perfect country.  GET THEM!!!

Executive Summary

Unlawful immigration and amnesty for current unlawful immigrants can pose large fiscal costs for U.S. taxpayers. Government provides four types of benefits and services that are relevant to this issue:

Direct benefits. These include Social Security, Medicare, unemployment insurance, and workers’ compensation.
    Means-tested welfare benefits. There are over 80 of these programs which, at a cost of nearly $900 billion per year, provide cash, food, housing, medical, and other services to roughly 100 million low-income Americans. Major programs include Medicaid, food stamps, the refundable Earned Income Tax Credit, public housing, Supplemental Security Income, and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families.
    Public education. At a cost of $12,300 per pupil per year, these services are largely free or heavily subsidized for low-income parents.
    Population-based services. Police, fire, highways, parks, and similar services, as the National Academy of Sciences determined in its study of the fiscal costs of immigration, generally have to expand as new immigrants enter a community; someone has to bear the cost of that expansion.

The cost of these governmental services is far larger than many people imagine. For example, in 2010, the average U.S. household received $31,584 in government benefits and services in these four categories.

The governmental system is highly redistributive. Well-educated households tend to be net tax contributors: The taxes they pay exceed the direct and means-tested benefits, education, and population-based services they receive. For example, in 2010, in the whole U.S. population, households with college-educated heads, on average, received $24,839 in government benefits while paying $54,089 in taxes. The average college-educated household thus generated a fiscal surplus of $29,250 that government used to finance benefits for other households.

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2013/05/the-fiscal-cost-of-unlawful-immigrants-and-amnesty-to-the-us-taxpayer

As you seem to consider yourself an expert on conservatism, could you please enlighten me on what it means to be a "conservative"?

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #123 on: August 28, 2015, 08:06:08 pm »

As you seem to consider yourself an expert on conservatism, could you please enlighten me on what it means to be a "conservative"?

Aw geez.....not this thread again!!!   LOL!

The question is RHETORICAL, Godzilla....move along...nothing to see here!    :laugh:   Right Ed?   ED???

bkepley

« Reply #124 on: August 28, 2015, 08:11:25 pm »
I posted the Peggy Noonan opinion piece today.

Much to my surprise, Rush Limbaugh spent some time on it today, explaining that Peggy is part of the "inside the beltway establishment".

She decided to go out and ask people ...ordinary folks...who they liked.  She is STUNNED that people of all nationalities, ideological stripes are behind Trump.

When asked what "ISSUES" are you in alignment with Trump, they say..."It's not about issues...it's a movement against the Washington Establishment who are destroying our freedoms and futures".

It's a MOVEMENT.

And you wonderful guys in the forum who are anti-Trump....get used to it.    :tongue2:

“It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things, that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters.”