Author Topic: ‘Nothing Disqualifies Trump’ — What A Focus Group Tells Us About His Supporters  (Read 1933 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

http://dailycaller.com/2015/08/24/nothing-disqualifies-trump-what-a-focus-group-tells-us-about-his-supporters/

ALEXANDRIA, Va. — “Nothing disqualifies Trump.”

That was the takeaway of Frank Luntz, the public opinion guru, after leading a focus group Monday night of supporters of Donald Trump’s Republican presidential campaign.

For two and a half hours, Luntz quizzed a group of current and past ardent Trump fans about their views on the businessman. He discussed the candidate’s past liberal stances and played past video of Trump saying provocative things about women. Yet when the focus group was over, not a single person who was planning to vote for him said they had changed their mind.

“This is absolutely for real,” Luntz said of the intense and loyal support for Trump. “And he is not going away. And he is as strong as every survey shows. All those people who think he’s going to implode have not sat and talked to these voters the way that they should have.”

The focus group was made up of 29 people, six of whom said they no longer support Trump but did in the past. Asked to describe Trump in one word or phrase, the answers varied: “businessman,” “brave,” “successful,” “results,” “decisive,” “leader,” “guts,” “charismatic,” “bombastic,” “not a politician,” “not P.C.,” “true American,” “brash,” “decisive,” “kick ass and take names.”

“When he talks, deep down somewhere, you’re going, ‘crap, somebody is thinking the same way I am,’” said one man.

Asked to recall the specific moment they decided to support Trump, most people pointed to his comments on Mexico and the border when he entered the race.

When Luntz surveyed the six people who no longer support Trump anymore, the most common criticism was his lack of specificity on issues and some of his comments regarding women.

“All of his ideas are great,” said another. “And he’s got a lot of energy. I just wasn’t sure there’s enough specifics out there. Everything is very vague.”

“I did see a Billy Bush interview with him and he seemed really…I guess chauvinistic is the word?” said another female in the focus group.

“I didn’t like in the debates when he was the only one who would not say he would not run as an independent,” said one man.

But for the most part, the focus group brushed those concerns off.

At one point, Luntz showed the participants a video clip of Trump saying, “If Ivanka weren’t my daughter, I’d be dating her.” Some in the group agreed it was “creepy” but most dismissed it as an entertainer doing his job.

“It’s funny,” one said, “not to be taken serious.”

“He has a sense of humor,” said another.

“It was great that he can laugh at himself.”

Luntz gave the participants 21 examples of things that could be problematic for Trump today. That includes how Trump was once pro-choice, supported single-payer healthcare, gave more money to the Democrats, supported stricter gun laws, supported the legalization of marijuana and has been married multiple times.

Yet, most people in the focus group said it was difficult for them to even care about most of them.

“The man’s entitled to change his mind on things,” said one woman.

“In the last 15 years, how many times have you guys changed your mind on something?” said a man.

“Exactly,” another woman added.

Luntz then asked the participants to rank what policy they like most from Trump. The most popular was Trump’s belief that Obamacare should be repealed and replaced.

When Luntz reminded the group that Trump was once for single-payer, which is even more liberal than Obamacare, most people shrugged. “Different time,” someone said.

Yet the one thing nearly everybody took issue with was Trump’s past comments questioning former prisoner of war John McCain’s heroism.

“His statement about John McCain, that rubbed me the wrong way,” said one man.

But most signaled they are willing to look past it.

“He’s done some good things,” said a man. “The only real negative I had was his P.O.W comments. Everybody makes comments. You can’t judge his entire candidacy on a comment he made probably on the top his head.”

All this means the rules of politics don’t seem to apply to Trump. Things that would probably damage — or end — other campaigns don’t dent Trump at all.

His poll numbers, both nationally and in early caucus and primary states, continue to dwarf those of the other 16 Republicans running. And he’s drawing crowds of 30,000, like he did last week at a football stadium in Alabama.

The campaigns of his rivals don’t seem to know what to do or how to attack him: the three people who have gone after Trump the hardest — Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, former Texas Sen. Rick Perry and South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham — have seen their poll numbers evaporate.

Some, like Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, have tried to lay low and not comment on Trump, while others, like Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, has gone out of his way to praise Trump so he can inherit the businessman’s supporters when he inevitably loses momentum.

But, as the focus group indicated, that might not be so inevitable after all. “It’s really hard to see how you bring him down,” Luntz said.

Jamie Weinstein ‏@Jamie_Weinstein 5h5 hours ago

Basically,
Luntz: What if we have evidence Trump murdered ur mother?
Focus Group: If Trump did it, prob deserved it
http://dailycaller.com/2015/08/24/nothing-disqualifies-trump-what-a-focus-group-tells-us-about-his-supporters/
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 09:25:10 am by Once-Ler »

Offline aligncare

...supported the legalization of marijuana...

I didn't know that. Gee, another reason to like the Trumpster.  /joke

Actually I support decriminalization. I don't want government involvement in yet another area of citizens' lives.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
These fools have more excuses than Carter has liver pills. The man is on record wanting to perform incest, and even that gets brushed off? How ignorant are these people? And why are they allowed to vote?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline aligncare

These fools have more excuses than Carter has liver pills. The man is on record wanting to perform incest, and even that gets brushed off? How ignorant are these people? And why are they allowed to vote?

I'm still having trouble believing you are as young as you say you are. I mean, Carter's little liver pills? How do you know about that? That reference is like from eons ago. Are you sure you're not actually my grandpas age?

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
“In the last 15 years, how many times have you guys changed your mind on something?” said a man.

On something as fundamental as my belief in limited government, inalienable rights, self-reliance?  Never.  And that, for me, is the trouble with Trump.  He will change his position at the drop of a hat, and does not seem to have a political philosophy that guides his thinking in any way.

I am also deeply troubled by his business track record.  He is a lot like Bill Clinton in that he always emerges from his deals unscathed, but he leaves a lot of waste in his wake.  I think the attack on Trump that will have staying power is the one where little old ladies talk about how they lost their pensions in his real estate schemes. 

Obviously, I have yet to drink the "Trumpade" but I do defend Trump from a lot of the unfairness he has had to face, including the party bosses trying to rig the game against him.

Offline aligncare

On something as fundamental as my belief in limited government, inalienable rights, self-reliance?  Never.  And that, for me, is the trouble with Trump.  He will change his position at the drop of a hat, and does not seem to have a political philosophy that guides his thinking in any way.

I am also deeply troubled by his business track record.  He is a lot like Bill Clinton in that he always emerges from his deals unscathed, but he leaves a lot of waste in his wake.  I think the attack on Trump that will have staying power is the one where little old ladies talk about how they lost their pensions in his real estate schemes. 

Obviously, I have yet to drink the "Trumpade" but I do defend Trump from a lot of the unfairness he has had to face, including the party bosses trying to rig the game against him.

As president, Trump would govern so much further to the right of the current democratic party standard, that it would put him squarely in the political center. Making him an obvious favorite among the all important independents.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
As president, Trump would govern so much further to the right of the current democratic party standard, that it would put him squarely in the political center. Making him an obvious favorite among the all important independents.

I am just not sure this is the case.  I worry that he will be a dictator.  Some of what he will "dictate" will be conservative, but I fear much of what he will dictate will be decidedly anti-conservative, in particular the restrictions on free trade and open international markets.

Also, I have no doubt that Trump would push the envelope of presidential authority even farther down the path of monarchy than even OPapaDoc has.  I cannot support a dictator, even if the dictator fundamentally agrees with me.  I believe in the constitutional limits of power.

Offline aligncare

I am just not sure this is the case.  I worry that he will be a dictator.  Some of what he will "dictate" will be conservative, but I fear much of what he will dictate will be decidedly anti-conservative, in particular the restrictions on free trade and open international markets.

Also, I have no doubt that Trump would push the envelope of presidential authority even farther down the path of monarchy than even OPapaDoc has.  I cannot support a dictator, even if the dictator fundamentally agrees with me.  I believe in the constitutional limits of power.

Valid points. Before I throw my support to any candidate I would want to reassure myself that's not the case.

But, this could rule that out: Trump's personality is a known quantity. He's written up in celebrity magazines, business periodicals, trade journals, hard news stories and editorials for decades. His face is familiar to millions of fans of his TV show. He's not a wallflower; he socializes widely and many have had experience interacting with him and can relate that experience. If he were as you speculated, I'm certain he would have many enemies, but his employees think he's fair, and people who meet him, think he's a nice guy and like him.

Obama was a total unknown. His circle of acquaintances was what? Several dozen? maybe. Trump's is probably in the hundreds or thousands of people.

The fact that America didn't know what we were getting with Obama is a complete duh!

We know what we're getting with Trump.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
But, this could rule that out: Trump's personality is a known quantity. He's written up in celebrity magazines, business periodicals, trade journals, hard news stories and editorials for decades. His face is familiar to millions of fans of his TV show. He's not a wallflower; he socializes widely and many have had experience interacting with him and can relate that experience. If he were as you speculated, I'm certain he would have many enemies, but his employees think he's fair, and people who meet him, think he's a nice guy and like him.

I suggest you do some homework and take a look at Trump's business dealings over the years.  There are a lot of disgruntled employees who were offered 1/4 of their pay or nothing in pre-bankruptcy negotiations, pensioners who held bonds and lost everything, stockholders who ended up holding worthless equity.  Trump always emerges unscathed, but there are lots and lots of disgruntled people out there who have dealt with him over the years.  The man is a businessman, and you'd expect this, but Trump is far, far more ruthless than, say, Mitt Romney.  What keeps him from getting soiled is his media image and his boundless energy.  He keeps moving and never looks back.

Now, don't get me wrong.  I admire his business acumen.  It's not how I would conduct business myself, but it's not as if anyone who goes into business with Trump does not know who they are dealing with.  Similarly, I think people who vote for the man can easily see what they are voting for, and that scares me.  He simply is not presidential timber in my book.  But if he wins, then I guess he is because winning is all that really matters, and he wouldn't be the first megalomaniac narcissist elected to the presidency.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/pictures/the-many-business-failures-of-donald-trump-20110511

Offline Longiron

I'm still having trouble believing you are as young as you say you are. I mean, Carter's little liver pills? How do you know about that? That reference is like from eons ago. Are you sure you're not actually my grandpas age?

Was not that back with Howdy Dowdy TIME,I think?

Offline aligncare

Was not that back with Howdy Dowdy TIME,I think?

That ad campaign must've gone into the mid-late 60s, not really sure.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 03:46:05 pm by massadvj »

Offline aligncare

I suggest you do some homework and take a look at Trump's business dealings over the years.  There are a lot of disgruntled employees who were offered 1/4 of their pay or nothing in pre-bankruptcy negotiations, pensioners who held bonds and lost everything, stockholders who ended up holding worthless equity.  Trump always emerges unscathed, but there are lots and lots of disgruntled people out there who have dealt with him over the years.  The man is a businessman, and you'd expect this, but Trump is far, far more ruthless than, say, Mitt Romney.  What keeps him from getting soiled is his media image and his boundless energy.  He keeps moving and never looks back.

Now, don't get me wrong.  I admire his business acumen.  It's not how I would conduct business myself, but it's not as if anyone who goes into business with Trump does not know who they are dealing with.  Similarly, I think people who vote for the man can easily see what they are voting for, and that scares me.  He simply is not presidential timber in my book.  But if he wins, then I guess he is because winning is all that really matters, and he wouldn't be the first megalomaniac narcissist elected to the presidency.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/pictures/the-many-business-failures-of-donald-trump-20110511

Rolling Stone? The same people who printed the bogus rape-on-campus story?

There's no "real" history of employees suing Trump. With close to 100,000 employees, in the past 35 years there are only a few bogus lawsuits against some of his business interests, like Trump hotels etc.

Trump himself has an excellent record insuring his employees, male and female, are well treated.

bkepley

Rolling Stone? The same people who printed the bogus rape-on-campus story?

There's no "real" history of employees suing Trump. With close to 100,000 employees, in the past 35 years there are only a few bogus lawsuits against some of his business interests, like Trump hotels etc.

Trump himself has an excellent record insuring his employees, male and female, are well treated.

I've asked you this before, where do you get the "close to 100,000 employees?"  Not from anything I've looked at.

Offline aligncare

Here is a recent example.  The history of this sort of thing with Trump is deep and rich.

http://www.businessinsider.com/details-of-trump-university-suit-2013-8

I'd invite others to look at the link.

bkepley

I'd invite others to look at the link.

Anyone who'd pay that money to go to a "Trump University" deserves to get taken.

Offline aligncare

I've asked you this before, where do you get the "close to 100,000 employees?"  Not from anything I've looked at.

I'm slightly exaggerating, round numbers. What's your point? You throw out exaggerations about Trump all the time. They usually consist of ad hominems, though. Not just a rounding error.

bkepley

I'm slightly exaggerating, round numbers. What's your point? You throw out exaggerations about Trump all the time. They usually consist of ad hominems, though. Not just a rounding error.

The point is you are not slightly exaggerating from that I see when I try to verify it.  Give me any source please.  100,000 is a monster corporation.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

You have absolutely nothing to base that on.

There's no record of Trump governing, so how Trump would govern is an absolute mystery. If we base his governing on where he stands on issues, you'd have to guess that he'd govern as a populist Democrat, and that's the slot that Hillary is trying to fit herself into.

If you try basing your guess on how he would govern on how he's conducted business, then you'd have to guess that he'd be an autocrat.

It's Obama all over again.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline aligncare

You have absolutely nothing to base that on.

There's no record of Trump governing, so how Trump would govern is an absolute mystery. If we base his governing on where he stands on issues, you'd have to guess that he'd govern as a populist Democrat, and that's the slot that Hillary is trying to fit herself into.

If you try basing your guess on how he would govern on how he's conducted business, then you'd have to guess that he'd be an autocrat.

It's Obama all over again.

Excuse me, there's no record of GOP governing, either. Republican leadership has been totally absent. Libertarians and conservatives have had absolutely no representation in government today.

You seem very concerned that our top federal executive be part of the ruling class.

I am equally concerned that the next top executive not be part of the ruling class.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Excuse me, there's no record of GOP governing, either. Republican leadership has been totally absent. Libertarians and conservatives have had absolutely no representation in government today.

You seem very concerned that our top federal executive be part of the ruling class.

I am equally concerned that the next top executive not be part of the ruling class.

If I'm going to hire a surgeon, I'm hiring the one with all the credentials and as many surgeries under their belt as possible.

If I need my car repaired I'm looking for a established mechanic with a license and a reputation.

If I need my taxes done, I'm looking for a tax firm that's been in business for a decent period of time and has a reputation.

I do that because the fact that these individuals have been doing what they do for a period of time gives me a reasonable expectation that they are able and competent to do what I need them to do.

There is nothing out there that I can use to formulate an opinion on Trump as President 

Your hyperbole about the ruling class aside, I don't agree that the office of POTUS should be awarded to someone based on what we THINK he isn't.

That's irrational
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Honestly, I'm not sure. Sometimes I swear I was born in the wrong generation, or perhaps reincarnated.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Godzilla

It's becoming very obvious that Trump has resurrected the Know-Nothing party of the 1840-1850s.

And will probably fair as well as they did.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 08:28:47 pm by Godzilla »