Author Topic: Harry "Land Deal" Reid Endorses Iran Deal  (Read 760 times)

Offline famousdayandyear

Harry "Land Deal" Reid Endorses Iran Deal
« on: August 24, 2015, 12:25:55 am »

Harry “Land Deal” Reid Endorses Iran Deal…

McConnell might as well hand over the gavel.

Via Washington Post:

Senate Minority Leader Harry M. Reid gave a forceful endorsement Sunday to the nuclear deal with Iran, a key boost that provides continued momentum for preventing Congress from blocking President Obama’s pact.

The Nevada Democrat said the deal, which lifts economic sanctions against the rogue nation for pledges to limit its nuclear program, is the “best way” to curtail Iran’s military ambitions, and he pledged to round up more support to thwart its opponents.

“I’m going to do everything in my power to make sure the deal stands,” he said in a telephone interview with The Washington Post from his home in Henderson, Nev., where he has been calling friends to tell them of his decision.

The retiring Democratic leader becomes the 27th Senate Democrat to publicly endorse the plan, while just two — including Reid’s friend and likely successor, Sen. Charles E. Schumer (N.Y.) — have come out against it.

weaselzippers.us

Offline Paladin

Re: Harry "Land Deal" Reid Endorses Iran Deal
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 12:44:31 am »
"McConnell might as well hand over the gavel."

I thought he already did.

"President Barack Obama has "a great likelihood of success" in his showdown with congressional Republicans on the Iran nuclear deal, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell grudgingly acknowledged on Monday.

The GOP-led Senate and House are expected to turn down the deal next month, with the Kentucky Republican calling it flawed and House Speaker John Boehner criticizing the accord. The deal with Tehran and world powers would curb Iran's nuclear program in exchange for relief from economic sanctions.

Obama has pledged to veto a congressional resolution of disapproval. The question then becomes whether opponents of the accord can muster the votes to override the president.

Offering a preview of the struggle, McConnell talked about the difficulty in achieving an override. Obama needs 34 Senate Democrats to sustain a veto, and 20 have announced they are backing the deal. In the House, 146 Democrats are necessary to sustain a veto and 48 have expressed their support for the accord, compared to 10 opponents.

"He can win by getting one-third plus one of either house," McConnell told a business group in his home state of Kentucky. "So he's still got a great likelihood of success." "

http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2015/08/17/mcconnell-acknowledges-difficulty-in-blocking-iran-deal 08/17/15
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 01:00:10 am »
What a fighter!  What a leader!  That Mitch McConnell--lifelong Republican.

Can anyone wonder why working, taxpaying Americans, who love and want to save the country, are fed up with these pretenders in the Senate?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 02:24:18 am »
No argument from me.

One of the slight vanities of the Republican party is they are "the adults in the room."

Sure as hell ain't acting like them.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 02:28:59 am »
No argument from me.

One of the slight vanities of the Republican party is they are "the adults in the room."

Sure as hell ain't acting like them.

You're right! They sure as hell ain't!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien