Author Topic: 'Casablanca': Chick flick or male tale?  (Read 548 times)

Offline Paladin

'Casablanca': Chick flick or male tale?
« on: August 22, 2015, 04:21:13 am »
Now for a discussion of a really important issue.

"Nearly 15 years ago, the American Film Institute posed a question: What is the greatest on-screen love story of all time?

“Casablanca,” the 1942 love triangle/thriller starring Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman and Paul Heinreid, was No. 1, beating “Gone With the Wind,” “West Side Story,” “An Affair to Remember” and “The Way We Were,” all in the Top 10.

But does its spot at the top of AFI’s “100 Years ... 100 Passions” list automatically make “Casablanca” a “chick flick?”

We argue about that at the office occasionally, as time goes by. (Usually when the Tampa Theatre screens it, as it is Saturday and Sunday).

Here’s a taste of the he said-she said that plays out again and again, with viewpoints from Tribune staff writer Howard Altman and Tribune correspondent Amanda Sellet."

The piece follows with a number of viewpoints, male and female, as to which it is.

http://www.tbo.com/events-tampa-bay/casablanca-chick-flick-or-male-tale-20150820/

A great film whichever option you choose. Interestingly I once read that Warner Bros originally considered giving the role of Ilsa to Ann Sheridan and, believe it or not, the role of Rick to none other than Ronald Reagan. I don't recall why Bogart and Bergman were cast instead but it was fortuitous.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 04:21:35 am by Paladin »
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: 'Casablanca': Chick flick or male tale?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 04:32:08 am »
Costner/Houston in "Bodyguard" 1992
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln