Author Topic: ‘Old Dixie Hwy’ suddenly ‘offensive'; proposed change to ‘Barack Obama Hwy’ sending Floridians over the edge!  (Read 862 times)

rangerrebew

‘Old Dixie Hwy’ suddenly ‘offensive'; proposed change to ‘Barack Obama Hwy’ sending Floridians over the edge!

August 19, 2015 | Joe Saunders |   Print Article

olddixiehighwayrivierabeach0819newUPDATE: The Riviera Beach City Council approved the name change Wednesday night by a 4-1 vote. To take effect, the name change must still be approved by the Palm Beach County Commission.

After months of uproar on the national stage over the Confederate flag and all things Dixie — a South Florida city will be voting Wednesday night on the word “Dixie” itself.

And whether to change it to “Barack Obama.”

The city council of Riviera Beach in Palm Beach County – on the Sunshine State’s Atlantic Coast – is voting on whether to change the name of “Old Dixie Highway,” the town’s main north-south thoroughfare, to “Barack Obama Highway.”

As WPTV reported:

But if early comments are any indication, there are a whole lot of people who don’t like the idea, including the chairman of the county Republican Party, who happens to be black.

Read more: http://www.bizpacreview.com/2015/08/19/old-dixie-hwy-suddenly-offensive-proposed-change-to-barack-obama-hwy-sending-floridians-over-the-edge-240280#ixzz3jUGFfq4G

Offline flowers

Mrflowers from the south. He still has many friends and family members there. They are very upset about the flag and Dixie issue.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Riviera is a relatively small town. Not very prosperous.

The city council can only act on the piece of Dixie Highway that cuts through Riviera and nothing beyond that.

I drive and through Riviera quite a bit and I personally can't wait to have the opportunity to drive over Barack Obama and drop some of my dog's lawn mines on it.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Riviera is a relatively small town. Not very prosperous.

The city council can only act on the piece of Dixie Highway that cuts through Riviera and nothing beyond that.

I drive and through Riviera quite a bit and I personally can't wait to have the opportunity to drive over Barack Obama and drop some of my dog's lawn mines on it.

Is it a skinny one-way highway that lies all over the place and goes on & on until you think it is never going to end?  And then, you find yourself in the worst neighborhood in town, where they gang up on you, call you bad names and rob you of everything you've earned?

I think I'm stuck on that highway right now.

8888crybaby

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Ironically the song, "I Wish I Was in Dixie" by Daniel Emmett was taken from a tune written by a group of free blacks in the North who wanted to return to the South. It was a longing for the general life in the South (climate, food, laid back attitude, etc, all implied in the song) and doesn't represent slavery even if the CSA took it as their unofficial anthem later.

Lincoln had the song play during the surrender of the CSA at  Appomattox.

bkepley

They could compromise on "Hillary Clinton Highway" to at least please the womens lib.