Author Topic: 3 wounded as off-duty US servicemen subdue gunman on Paris-bound train  (Read 3009 times)

bkepley

Fox News

Off-duty members of the U.S. military subdued a gunman "known to intelligence services" after he opened fire, injuring three aboard on a high-speed train en route to Paris from Amsterdam.

The suspected gunman was overpowered by off-duty U.S. soldiers when the train stopped in the northern French city of Arras, 115 miles north of Paris, French newspaper La Voix du Nord reported.

More here: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/21/2-american-military-personnel-attacked-on-paris-bound-train/

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: 3 wounded as off-duty US servicemen subdue gunman on Paris-bound train
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 08:27:57 pm »
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/gunman-wounds-three-high-speed-train-between-amsterdam-paris-1516548

Gunman wounds three on high-speed train between Amsterdam and Paris

By Yasmin Kaye
August 21, 2015 20:48 BST    1 

The suspect being apprehended at Arras station by police, on 21 August, 2015.Christina Cathleen Coons/Twitter

Three people were injured, two critically, after shots were fired on a Thalys high-speed train between Amsterdam and Paris on 21 August. Local media said the unidentified suspect fired a Kalashnikov-style assault rifle in the attack, before being overpowered by fellow passengers. A spokesman for national railway operator SNCF said the suspect was also armed with a knife.

The suspected gunman was arrested at around 6pm local time (5pm BST), regional newspaper La Voix Du Nord reported. The train was diverted to Arras, in northern France. Two of the victims in the attack were an American and Briton, according to reports. The arrested man is said to be of north African origin and has refused to speak to police since his arrest.

Early reports indicate that three US marines who were onboard the train helped overpower the gunman. "A man opened fire on this Thalys train between Amsterdam and Paris, one person was very seriously injured," French interior ministry spokesman Pierre Henry Brandet said on BFM-TV television soon after the attack. "Talking about a terrorist motive would be premature at the moment."

However, since Brandet's statement, counter-terrorism police have taken over the investigation. "The situation is under control, the travelers are safe. The train stopped and the emergency services are on site," train operator Thalys said on Twitter.

French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve is en route to the Arras, which is 115 miles (185 kilometres) north of Paris. "Everything is being done to shed light on this tragedy and obtain all the necessary information about what happened," French President François Hollande said in a statement.

More follows ...

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 08:29:31 pm »
"Early reports indicate that three US marines who were onboard the train helped overpower the gunman."

bkepley

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 08:30:45 pm »
Ha ha...beat you to it!

bkepley

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 08:32:41 pm »
ping

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 08:47:47 pm »
Ha ha...beat you to it!

Well, I did do a search and didn't see it posted yet - you probably posted yours while I was formatting mine.  Anyway, they are different articles from different sources. 

I thought it was cool that the Marines helped to stop him or it could have gotten really ugly.  Of course they won't identify the shooter - except for "North African origin".  We all know what that means - he is a Muslim.

I did find this elsewhere:

The assailant, who was arrested at the scene, has been identified as a 26-year-old Moroccan, Sliman Hamzi, an official with police union Alliance, said on French television i-Tele.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/gunman-leaves-3-injured-train-northern-france-article-1.2333450

Offline flowers

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 08:50:52 pm »
Well, I did do a search and didn't see it posted yet - you probably posted yours while I was formatting mine.  Anyway, they are different articles from different sources. 

I thought it was cool that the Marines helped to stop him or it could have gotten really ugly.  Of course they won't identify the shooter - except for "North African origin".  We all know what that means - he is a Muslim.

Will team obama file charges against the Marines now?

bkepley

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 08:52:16 pm »

Fox has the better headline though.  Who says Fox is not on our side anymore?

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 08:53:48 pm »
Will team obama file charges against the Marines now?

I guess it's "lucky" that the Marines were unarmed when they took him down - or yes, they would have to worry about that.  I'm sure Obama will find another way to punish them.

**nononono*

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 08:56:00 pm »
Fox has the better headline though.  Who says Fox is not on our side anymore?

True, I like the Fox headline better.  I was tempted to add that it was US Marines in parenthesis in the title, but wasn't sure if that was allowed.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 09:06:18 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/international/251684-passengers-subdue-gunman-on-french-train

By Bradford Richardson - 08/21/15 03:42 PM EDT

Two Americans on Friday prevented a gunman from carrying out an attack on a train in France, according to The Associated Press.

The gunman opened fire before being subdued by the Americans who were traveling from Amsterdam to Paris.

Several reports indicate that the passengers were U.S. soldiers in civilian clothes who, after hearing the gunman cock his rifle in the bathroom, were able to disarm the assailant in an ensuing struggle.

French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said one of the Americans has been hospitalized with serious injuries.

hree passengers were injured in the attack, one with a knife wound and another suffering a gunshot wound.

The suspected assailant is Sliman Hamzi, who is reported to be of Moroccan origin and was arrested at a train station in Arras.

The gunman was reportedly wielding a Kalashnikov rifle, an automatic handgun and several knives.

— This story was last updated at 4:55 p.m.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 09:08:43 pm »
They were Marines, weren't they?

Why isn't that part of the story?    :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 01:45:07 pm »
Friend of US servicemen describes terrifying attack on European train
Published August 22, 2015
FoxNews.com

Three Americans are being hailed as heroes Saturday for tackling and disarming a gunman on a high-speed train travelling between Amsterdam and Paris Friday.

Anthony Sadler, a senior at Sacramento State University, was traveling with childhood friends Spencer Stone, an Air Force serviceman from Carmichael, California, and Alek Skarlatos, a National Guardsmen from Roseburg, Oregon, when they heard a gunshot and breaking glass.

Sadler told The Associated Press that they saw a train employee sprint down the aisle followed by a gunman with an automatic rifle.

"As he was cocking it to shoot it, Alek just yells, 'Spencer, go!' And Spencer runs down the aisle," Sadler said. "Spencer makes first contact, he tackles the guy, Alek wrestles the gun away from him, and the gunman pulls out a boxcutter and slices Spencer a few times. And the three of us beat him until he was unconscious."

Another passenger helped the servicemen tie the gunman up, and Stone then quickly turned to help another passenger who had been wounded in the throat, stopping his bleeding until paramedics came, Sadler said.

The identity of the person with the wound had not been released.

Throughout the terrifying ordeal, Sadler said, “The gunman never said a word.” Sadler said French authorities were to speak with him Saturday in Arras, where scientific police circulated around the cordoned-off train station.

A White House official told Fox News on Friday that President Obama was briefed on the incident Friday evening.

Stone remained hospitalized Saturday after being stabled, though the Pentagon said the injury was not-life threatening. Another passenger was wounded by a handgun in the attack, according to a police union official.

It remains unclear whether there was a political motive to the gunman’s actions. French authorities are questioning the 26-year-old Moroccan attacker and are expected to speak to at least one of the Americans who subdued the man. Counterterrorism police are leading the investigation, according to the Paris prosecutor’s office.

French Interior Minister Bernad Cazenueve, speaking in Arras where the train was diverted, said the Americans “were particularly courageous and showed great bravery in very difficult circumstances,” and that “without their sangfroid we could have been confronted with a terrible drama.” He also called for caution before jumping to conclusions.

French authorities are on heightened alert after Islamic extremist attacks in January left 20 dead, including three gunmen. In June, a lone attacker claiming allegiance to ISIS beheaded his employer and set off an explosion at an American-owned factory in France, raising concerns about other attacks throughout the country.

"The President's thoughts and prayers are with all of the victims of this attack, and he wishes them speedy and full recoveries," the White House official said.

"Echoing the statements of French authorities, the President expressed his profound gratitude for the courage and quick thinking of several passengers, including U.S. service members, who selflessly subdued the attacker. While the investigation into the attack is in its early stages, it is clear that their heroic actions may have prevented a far worse tragedy. We will remain in close contact with French authorities as the investigation proceeds."

Skarlatos, 22, had returned from deployment in Afghanistan in July, and Stone is stationed in the Azores, according to Skarlatos’ step-mother Karen Skarlatos.

She spoke with her step-son immediately after the incident. "He sounded fine, but he was intense — he sounded like he had just thwarted a terrorist attack."

"Alek and Spencer, they're big, brave, strong guys and they decided they were going to tackle him. And they did," she told the AP from Oregon. "Spencer got a couple good slices on him. But they were able to subdue him while the train was still moving."

The gunman didn’t fire his weapon but wounded one man with a handgun and the other with a blade, said Philippe Lorthiois, an official with the Alliance police union.

The suspect is a 26-year-old Moroccan, according to Sliman Hamzi, an official with the Alliance police union who spoke on French television i-Tele.

Europe's major rail stations, such as Paris' Gare du Nord and Brussels' Gare du Midi, are patrolled by soldiers armed with rifles, but passengers can board most high-speed trains without passing through metal detectors or having their bags searched or showing their passports.

Shaken passengers from the train that was attacked arrived early Saturday at Paris' Gare du Nord train station, several hours later than schedule. They were greeted by a large group of SNCF staff with water and meals and help finding hotels and taxis.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline aligncare

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 02:20:47 pm »
Staff Sergeant, USAF 1969-73. Bien Hoa, Phan Rang, Vietnam 1971.  It was a fly boy who first took the perp down :patriot:

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2015, 02:39:15 pm »
The suspect is a 26-year-old Moroccan, according to Sliman Hamzi, an official with the Alliance police union who spoke on French television i-Tele.

The suspected assailant is Sliman Hamzi, who is reported to be of Moroccan origin and was arrested at a train station in Arras.

So, is Sliman Hamzi the attacker or an official with the police union?   :shrug:

Offline flowers

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2015, 04:15:17 pm »
So, is Sliman Hamzi the attacker or an official with the police union?   :shrug:
good question.

rangerrebew

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2015, 09:09:10 pm »
- The PJ Tatler - http://pjmedia.com/tatler -

European Train Attacker Another Case of ‘Known Wolf’Terrorism

Posted By Patrick Poole On August 22, 2015 @ 8:35 am In Middle East,News,Terrorism | 13 Comments

Quick action by unarmed off-duty U.S. servicemen on a high speed train from Amsterdam to Paris narrowly averted tragedy yesterday as they subdued a terrorist gunmen before he could begin his rampage. And according to multiple reports, the suspect in custody was known to multiple European intelligence agencies – yet another case of what I have termed “known wolf” terrorism.

Since last year, I’ve noted here at PJ Media that virtually all of the terrorist incidents in the West have been conducted by subjects who were already known to law enforcement and national security agencies, refuting the “lone wolf” narrative floated by authorities and the establishment media that such terrorist activity is random and unpredictable.

And such appears to be the case yet again in the case of what happened on the Thalys train.

CNN reports:

The suspected gunman, a Moroccan national, was on the radar screen of European counterterrorism agencies for his radical jihadist views, the European counterterrorism official said.

A second security source told CNN the gunman was known by French intelligence. The official said it appeared the gunman was sympathetic to ISIS, but a full determination on his specific loyalties had yet to be reached.

Another report from The Telegraph indicates that the gunman was known to multiple European intelligence agencies:

The gunman who tried to bring carnage to a high-speed train is believed to have been an Islamist extremist who traveled to Syria last year.

The 26-year-old of Moroccan origin, named in the Spanish press as Ayoub El Qahzzani, is understood to have been on the watch lists of three European intelligence services.

The gunman was taken into custody at Arras station and the French authorities have not released his name. But if he was Qahzzani, he appears to have left Morocco in 2013 and moved to Spain, where he lived for about a year.

And Reuters indicates that Qahzzani was no “lone wolf”:

According to Le Voix du Nord, citing security sources, the suspected Islamist militant was seen on a plane to Turkey from Germany in May, and was thought to have visited Syria.

The French newspaper said he may have had connections to a group involved in a suspected Islamist shooting in Belgium in January.

One terrorism expert makes an important point:

An editor at the Jerusalem Post also asks another relevant question:

The case of yet another returned foreign fighter from Syria engaged in terrorism seems to refute the attempts by many counterterrorism researchers to say the threat is “exaggerated” and that terror returnees should be treated with a “hands-off” reintegration approach, most recently advocated by Charles Lister at Brookings Institution.

The “Known Wolf” terrorism phenomenon is something I have documented here at PJ Media going back to last year:

Oct. 24, 2014: ‘Lone Wolf’ or ‘Known Wolf’: The Ongoing Counter-Terrorism Failure

Dec. 15, 2014: Sydney Hostage Taker Another Case of ‘Known Wolf’ Syndrome

Jan. 7, 2015: Paris Terror Attack Yet Another Case of ‘Known Wolf’ Syndrome

Feb. 3, 2015: French Police Terror Attacker Yesterday Another Case of ‘Known Wolf’ Syndrome

Feb. 15, 2015: Copenhagen Killer Was yet Another Case of ‘Known Wolf’ Terrorism

Feb. 26, 2015: Islamic State Beheader ‘Jihadi John’ Yet Another Case of ‘Known Wolf’ Terrorism

Apr. 22, 2015: Botched Attack on Paris Churches Another Case of “Known Wolf” Terrorism

May 4, 2015:Texas Attack Is Yet Another Case of ‘Known Wolf’ Terrorism

June 26, 2015:France’s Beheading Terrorist Was Well-Known By Authorities

July 16, 2015:Report: Chattanooga Jihadist Was Yet Another ‘Known Wolf’ Terrorist, Anonymous Feds Dispute

This was also the subject of a Capitol Hill briefing I gave back in late January sponsored by the Endowment for Middle East Truth (EMET):

So why is it despite these repeated instances of “Known Wolf” terrorism, that authorities have yet to even acknowledge the problem, let alone try to solve it?

Article printed from The PJ Tatler: http://pjmedia.com/tatler

URL to article: http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2015/08/22/european-train-attacker-another-case-of-known-wolf-terrorism/

rangerrebew

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2015, 09:14:41 pm »
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2015/08/breaking-video-released-of-french-train-terrorist-hog-tied-by-us-servicemen/

BREAKING=> Video Released of French Train Terrorist Hogtied by US Servicemen

Jim Hoft Aug 22nd, 2015 9:00 am 

Video was released of the Moroccan gunman immediately after the terrorist attack on a high-speed train from Brussels to Paris.

The terrorist is laying on the floor hog-tied by US servicemen.
** They beat him unconscious before they tied him up.

Islamist Ayoub el-Qahzzani opened fire on train full of 550 passengers.
french terrorist

Here’s more video from the train after the attack.

Spencer Stone, of the U.S. Air Force, was traveling with Oregon National Guard member Alek Skarlatos, 22, (right) who was on leave after a tour of Afghanistan, when he heard the gunman load his weapon in the toilet. Skarlatos shouted ‘Spencer, go!’ and they charged him down. (Daily Mail)

The train staff locked themselves into a staffroom during the attack.
The Daily Mail reported:

Train staff on board the high speed train which was the scene of a suspected Islamic extremist attack yesterday have been accused of barricading themselves in their staffroom and locking the door, leaving passengers to fend for themselves.

The Moroccan terrorist was disarmed and beaten unconscious by US servicemen and a British man after he opened fire on a Paris-bound train with a Kalashnikov.

Now, French actor Jean-Hugues Anglade, who was on board the Thalys train during the attack has slammed train staff who he claims locked themselves in an office away from the attacker and refused to help the trapped passengers.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 09:16:26 pm by rangerrebew »

Godzilla

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2015, 01:28:01 am »
A known-wolf can and is spied on.

A spied-on known-wolf shows who his associates are... and who his paymasters are.

That allows governments to act on the big-fish.

This article would rather us take out the known-wolf the minute we know about them, keeping us ignorant about the power-players that operate behind the scenes.

In other words, the author is a complete half-wit.  And following his ideas would have us suffer more acts of terror than we already do.

rangerrebew

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2015, 05:04:38 pm »
Lawyer for Train Gunman: 'He Is Dumbfounded His Action is Being Characterized as Terrorism'
By ELAINE GANLEY and NADINE ACHOUI-LESAGE | August 23, 2015 | 11:06 AM EDT

U.S. Spencer Stone waves as he leaves the police station in Arras, northern France, Saturday, Aug. 22, 2015. A gunman prepared to open fire with an automatic weapon on a high-speed train traveling from Amsterdam to Paris Friday, wounding several people before being subdued by passengers, officials said. Spencer Stone is one of the passengers credited with subduing the gunman. (AP Photo/Virginia Mayo)

PARIS (AP) — The man who boarded a high-speed train in Europe with an assault rifle before being subdued by three Americans was known to intelligence services in three countries and had ties to radical Islam, authorities said Sunday. But the man's lawyer said he told her that he was homeless and only wanted to rob passengers to be able to eat.

French authorities contend that Ayoub El-Khazzani, a 26-year-old Moroccan, was an Islamic extremist. Authorities in Spain said he had lived in the country until last year and had a police record for drug-dealing.

Despite being on the radar in France, Spain and Belgium, he boarded an Amsterdam-to-Paris train on Friday as it stopped in Brussels, carrying a small arsenal of weapons, including a Kalashnikov, an automatic Luger pistol and a box cutter.

Three American friends, two of them U.S. servicemen, tackled him, and with the help of a British businessman tied him up. They are being feted as heroes in France and the U.S. The three Americans will speak with the media later Sunday.

El-Khazzani's lawyer said he told her that he wasn't a terrorist.

"He is dumbfounded that his action is being characterized as terrorism," said Sophie David, a lawyer in Arras, where the train was rerouted to arrest El-Khazzani — now being questioned outside Paris by anti-terrorism police.

He described himself as homeless and David said she had "no doubt" this was true, saying he was "very, very thin" as if suffering from malnutrition and "with a very wild look in his eyes."

"He thought of a hold-up to be able to feed himself, to have money," she said on BFM-TV, then "shoot out a window and jump out to escape."

She said her client told her he had found the valise full of weapons, including the box cutter and rounds of ammunition, in a Brussels public park near the train station.

Officials didn't disclose a possible motive for the attack, but Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said Spanish authorities had notified French intelligence about the suspect because he belongs to a "radical Islamist movement."

David said he told her that he received orders from no one.

Three people were injured, including U.S. Air Force serviceman Spencer Stone, who was the first to tackle El-Khazzani. Stone was hospitalized on Saturday for a hand wound from the box cutter.

Besides Stone, 23, of Carmichael, California, National Guardsman Alek Skarlatos, 22, from Roseburg, Oregon, and their friend, Anthony Sadler, 23, a senior at Sacramento State University in California, moved to subdue the man.

The lawyer said El-Khazzani "told me that for him, nothing happened ... He said he didn't even hear any shot fired. The Kalashnikov didn't work."

One shot did ring out, injuring a French-American teacher in the chest. He was being treated in a Lille hospital. However, the Americans did say the Kalashnikov jammed.

El-Khazzani, identified via fingerprints, can be held for 96 hours and then must be charged or set free.

El-Khazzani had been living in the southern Spanish city of Algeciras with his parents, and arrested there three times for drug-dealing, according to Spain's Interior Ministry. Spanish newspapers El Pais and El Mundo both reported that he had lived in the relatively poor neighborhood of El Saladillo, which has around 6,000 inhabitants and an unemployment rate close to 40 percent.

It was unclear how long he was in Spain. However, Spain notified French intelligence in February 2014, and he was placed on a watch list of potentially dangerous individuals, Cazeneuve has said.

There were discrepancies between French and Spanish accounts of the gunman's travels.

An official linked to Spain's anti-terrorism unit said the suspect lived in Spain until 2014, then moved to France, traveled to Syria, and returned to France. That official spoke on condition anonymity because he wasn't authorized to be identified by name.

A French official close to the investigation said the watch list signal "sounded" on May 10 in Berlin, where El-Khazzani was flying to Turkey. The French transmitted this information to Spain, which advised on May 21 that he no longer lived there but in Belgium. The French then advised Belgium, according to the official close to the investigation, but it wasn't clear what, if any, action was taken after that.

El-Khazzani had the Kalashnikov strapped across his shoulder when a French citizen trying to use the toilet encountered him and tried to subdue him, Cazeneuve said. Gunfire sounded and the two American servicemen, with help from their friend and a Briton, tackled and disarmed him.

The Briton, businessman Chris Norman, the fourth to jump into the fray, said he was working on his computer when he heard a shot and glass breaking and saw a train worker running.

"I knew we had to do something or he was just going to kill people," Skarlatos told Oregon television station KEZI. "I mean he wasn't shooting at the time so I figured it was a good time to do it."

Sadler told The Associated Press that they saw a train employee sprint down the aisle followed by a man with an automatic rifle.

"As he was cocking it to shoot it, Alek just yells, 'Spencer, go!' And Spencer runs down the aisle," Sadler said. "Spencer makes first contact, he tackles the guy, Alek wrestles the gun away from him, and the gunman pulls out a box cutter and slices Spencer a few times. And the three of us beat him until he was unconscious."

Video showed a blood-spattered scene on the train, with the gunman prostrate and shirtless, his hands tied behind his back. Authorities said that in addition to the guns, he had nine loaded magazines for the Kalashnikov. Skarlatos, who served in Afghanistan, said that when he examined the assault rifle, he found that the gunman had tried to fire it but that it didn't go off because it had a bad primer.

Sadler said the gunman remained silent throughout the brief incident. But with the weapons he carried, "he was there to do business," Skarlatos said in an interview shown on French television.

French actor Jean-Hugues Anglade, who cut his finger to the bone while activating the train's emergency alarm, heaped praise on the Americans, recounting the high emotion of the episode to Paris Match.

"I thought it was the end, that we would die," he said. "Yes, we saw ourselves dying because we were prisoners in this train and it was impossible to escape the nightmare."

The Americans arrived Saturday night under heavy escort at the residence of the U.S. ambassador.

President Barack Obama telephoned them Saturday to commend and congratulate them, the White House said. They and the Frenchman who first confronted the gunman will meet Monday with French President Francois Hollande.

French authorities are on heightened alert after Islamic extremist attacks in January left 20 people dead, including the three gunmen. In June, a lone attacker claiming allegiance to Islamic radicals beheaded his employer and set off an explosion at an American-owned factory in France, raising concerns about other scattered, hard-to-predict attacks.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/train-gunman-known-3-countries-lawyer-says-hes-homeless
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 05:05:42 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2015, 08:53:53 pm »
For a homeless guy, he sure did a lot of traveling.  Who paid for that?

Godzilla

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2015, 09:36:24 pm »
For a homeless guy, he sure did a lot of traveling.  Who paid for that?

And his arsenal...

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2015, 09:45:19 pm »
And his arsenal...

It will be interesting to see what they charge him with. 

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2015, 10:52:25 pm »
Sounds like this guy's lawyer was trained by the ACLU.

Or is being coached by the obama administration...

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2015, 02:39:20 pm »
http://nypost.com/2015/08/26/gunman-in-france-train-attack-charged-with-terrorism/

Suspect in France train attack charged with terrorism

PARIS — The Moroccan suspect in a foiled attack on a high-speed train is facing terrorism charges over what authorities say was a plan to unleash carnage among hundreds of passengers.
The Paris prosecutor’s office confirmed Wednesday that Ayoub El-Khazzani was charged overnight. El-Khazzani, 26, was overpowered by at least five passengers, including three Americans and a Briton.
El-Khazzani has denied terrorism plans and said he stumbled upon a bag of weapons and decided to use them to rob passengers.
His older brother, Imran, reached by French radio network RMC, also said the younger man had no links with terrorism.
“He could have gone crazy. His life was without a doubt difficult. He didn’t have much money,” the brother said. “It could have gone from bad to worse.”
“I swear to you before God that my brother has nothing to do with a terrorist. We are Muslims. We respect people,” the brother said.

Paris prosecutor Francois Molins has said El-Khazzani watched a jihadi video on his cellphone moments before the attack and that — although he claimed to be homeless — he used a first-class ticket. Molins said the suspect’s explanations became increasingly incoherent until he stopped speaking altogether to investigators.

Among the terrorism charges he faces are multiple counts of attempted murder, possession of weapons, and conspiracy.