Author Topic: FDA Approves OxyContin for Children as Young as 11  (Read 531 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
FDA Approves OxyContin for Children as Young as 11
« on: August 16, 2015, 01:56:52 am »
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fda-approves-oxycontin-children-young-11-n409621

The Food and Drug Administration has approved limited use of the powerful and frequently abused painkiller OxyContin for children as young as 11 years old, the agency announced Thursday. Dr. Sharon Hertz, director of new anesthesia, analgesia and addiction products for the FDA, said studies by Purdue Pharma of Stamford, Connecticut, which manufactures the drug, "supported a new pediatric indication for OxyContin in patients 11 to 16 years old and provided prescribers with helpful information about the use of OxyContin in pediatric patients." OxyContin is a long-release version of oxycodone, an opioid that acts on the brain like heroin and is intended for only the most severe and chronic pain cases.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: FDA Approves OxyContin for Children as Young as 11
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 02:00:01 am »
I heard about this on the radio, and the doctor discussing it said these children suffered great pain, and many were terminally ill suffering from cancer as an example.

The problem I see in medicine is the specialty to deal with pain by strong drugs is far more skilled, than the specialty to get people off drugs at the appropriate, earliest possible time.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln