Author Topic: Turkish Kurd grief: 'They don't even let us bury our dead'  (Read 296 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Turkish Kurd grief: 'They don't even let us bury our dead'
« on: August 14, 2015, 11:35:40 pm »
A room is full of women looking like they have cried for hours, if not for days.

Sat on the floor leaning against each wall, they don't say much. Instead, they wail, wipe their tears and hug each other to share the pain.

Ayse Aygun's 18 year-old son Salih had gone across the border to Syria, to join the Kurdish YPG militants and fight against the Islamic State group (IS).

He was killed two weeks ago in a clash at the town of Sirrin.

Ayse's family and friends try to be there for her in these difficult times.

It is more than losing a child for Ayse. The Turkish authorities will not allow her son's body back into the country to be buried.
Salih Agyun, 18, was killed fighting the Islamic State group

"My son wasn't fighting the Turkish army" she says. "He was fighting the IS. IS beheaded people. They killed the elderly. Why aren't they allowing my son back? This is an insult."

More than 4,000 people from Turkey, predominantly Kurds, have gone to fight against the IS since the assault on Kobani started late last year.

Up until recently, those killed were allowed back for their funerals. Over 200 YPG fighters have been buried in Turkey so far.

But now the bodies of 23 fighters have been stopped at the border.

Salih's aunt Islim says they spoke to the local governor to help them bring his body into Turkey.

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33929933
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Turkish Kurd grief: 'They don't even let us bury our dead'
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 11:38:53 pm »
I'm crying right along with them!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien