Author Topic: Russia and NATO 'Actively Preparing for War'  (Read 521 times)

rangerrebew

Russia and NATO 'Actively Preparing for War'
« on: August 13, 2015, 12:34:14 pm »

Russia and NATO 'Actively Preparing for War'

Image: Russia and NATO 'Actively Preparing for War' 

Wednesday, 12 Aug 2015 11:04 PM

Both Russia and NATO are readying for possible war with military exercises that focus on the other side's perceived weaknesses, The U.K. Telegraph reports.

The Telegraph quotes a report by the European Leadership Network think tank.

"We do not suggest that the leadership of either side has made a decision to go to war or that a military conflict between the two is inevitable, but that the changed profile of exercises is a fact and it does play a role in sustaining the current climate of tensions in Europe," the report's authors write.

Russia held "snap exercises" in March in which 80,000 troops made long-range deployments and simulated combat that would have indicated only that the United States or NATO was the adversary, The Telegraph wrote.

NATO, meanwhile, held an exercise dubbed "Allied Shield" in June with 15,000 troops "engaged in a series of mock operations including response to a Crimea-style infiltration of irregular forces," according to the paper.

"Whilst spokespeople may maintain that these operations are targeted against only hypothetical opponents, the nature and scale of the operations indicate otherwise," according to the think tank's report.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/russia-nato-preparing-for/2015/08/12/id/669874/#ixzz3ihKOetBh
 Urgent: Rate Obama on His Job Performance. Vote Here Now!

Offline evadR

Re: Russia and NATO 'Actively Preparing for War'
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 12:47:21 pm »
Joshua
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 04:27:02 pm »
Geez. What's next? "NATO and Russia are actively preparing for War" because both sides have their armed forces in uniforms?

Exercises, especially ones aimed at perceived weaknesses, are about 40% of what the armed forces do! It's called keeping in shape.
NATO needs to practice to get the co-ordination between different national forces down to something that actually works some of the time.
Russia - well, due to it spanning 11 time zones and the way they recruit for their forces, they pretty much have the same problem. You can consider them to be 8 or 9 countries trying to co-ordinate.

Alarmist nonsense, in other words.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 04:27:33 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 04:33:41 pm »
Geez.

A specialty.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 04:42:24 pm »
Geez. What's next? "NATO and Russia are actively preparing for War" because both sides have their armed forces in uniforms?

Exercises, especially ones aimed at perceived weaknesses, are about 40% of what the armed forces do! It's called keeping in shape.
NATO needs to practice to get the co-ordination between different national forces down to something that actually works some of the time.
Russia - well, due to it spanning 11 time zones and the way they recruit for their forces, they pretty much have the same problem. You can consider them to be 8 or 9 countries trying to co-ordinate.

Nonsense?  Maybe, but still worth keeping an eye on.
Putin has expressed expansionism desires and even acted upon Ukraine, so sleep with one eye open.

bkepley

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 04:45:41 pm »
Nonsense?  Maybe, but still worth keeping an eye on.
Putin has expressed expansionism desires and even acted upon Ukraine, so sleep with one eye open.

Personally I think the Ukraine is a Russian interest and we need to remember they are still a nuclear super-power as far as I know.  I don't get where simply because the Soviet Union fell apart means we can go poking at the Russian bear all the time.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 05:12:02 pm »
Personally I think the Ukraine is a Russian interest and we need to remember they are still a nuclear super-power as far as I know.  I don't get where simply because the Soviet Union fell apart means we can go poking at the Russian bear all the time.

Trust me BK, no advocate of war here but trust but verify still rings in my head.. :)