Author Topic: Iowa poll: Trump still leads, but dented by debate  (Read 982 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Iowa poll: Trump still leads, but dented by debate
« on: August 11, 2015, 07:35:45 pm »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2015/08/11/iowa-poll-trump-leads-field-but-standing-dented-debate/31449175/

Businessman Donald Trump continues to lead the Republican field in Iowa, a new Suffolk University Poll finds, but his performance in last week's opening debate has dented his standing among GOP partisans and cost him some ground in the state that will hold the first presidential contest next year.

Also hit: Former Florida governor Jeb Bush, who sank to seventh place from third in the RealClearPolitics average of Iowa polls over the past month. He now narrowly trails former CEO Carly Fiorina in the key early state. Florida Sen. Marco Rubio scores the biggest boost, rising from eight to third.

The survey of 500 Iowans likely to participate in the Republican caucuses, taken by landline and cell phone from Friday through Monday, is one of the first quantitative measures of the impact of Thursday night’s debate in Cleveland, hosted by Fox News and Facebook. It comes as the repercussions of the encounter, which drew 24 million viewers nationwide, are still being sorted out in a contest where support is scattered.

Indeed, one in five remain undecided in the new Iowa poll. Among those with a preference, Trump leads the field at 17%, followed by Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker at 12% and Rubio at 10%. The survey's margin of error is plus or minus 4.4 percentage points.

The results reflect a dip in support for Trump and Walker, compared to statewide surveys taken over the past month and averaged by RealClearPolitics.com. That could hearten establishment Republicans who speculate that Trump's tendency toward the inflammatory at some point will stem his unexpected rise to the top of the GOP field.

The Suffolk survey has warning signs for Trump. By 2-1, 55%-23%, those surveyed say watching Trump in the debate made them feel less comfortable rather than more comfortable with him as a candidate for president. A 54% majority also reject Trump’s complaints that he was treated unfairly by the Fox News anchors who served as moderators; 41% agree with him.

And a third of Iowa Republicans say Trump — enmeshed in a post-debate contretemps over his comments about Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly — “doesn’t show appropriate respect for women.” A larger number, 46%, side with the real-estate mogul and reality-TV star, saying criticism of his comments about women "are just examples of political correctness."

Then there's this: Trump scores a big lead among those who didn't watch the debate, at 21%, double the standing of retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson, who finishes second at 10%. But among those who watched the debate, Trump does less well, tied with Walker at 14%.

In Iowa, nearly two-thirds of those surveyed say they watched the evening debate of the top 10 contenders, and more than four in 10 watched the afternoon debate of seven candidates, including Fiorina. The former chief executive of Hewlett-Packard fared well despite her failure to make the cut for the evening debate. More than nine of 10 say she should be invited to future televised debates of the top-tier contenders.

Among those who watched the afternoon debate, more than eight in 10 say Fiorina impressed them the most.

Among those who watched the evening debate or highlights from it, nearly one in four say Rubio impressed them the most. Almost many identify Carson as the most impressive.

What moment do they remember most?

In response to an open-ended question, Carson was most often mentioned, both for his closing remarks and his joking comments about brain surgery. Trump's refusal to promise to support the eventual Republican nominee and his interactions with other candidates also were among the most memorable moments. So was the confrontation between New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul over the balance between national security and personal privacy.

But less than 1% of those surveyed recall a moment involving Bush, and just 2% say he impressed them most during the debate. Support statewide for the former Florida governor is now 5%.

The standings, in order: Trump, Walker, Rubio, Carson (9%), Texas Sen. Ted Cruz (7%), Fiorina (7%) and Bush. Ohio Gov. John Kasich is at 3%, former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee, Paul and Christie at 2%.

"Thursday's debates breathed life into the campaigns of Rubio, Carson, Fiorina and Cruz," says David Paleologos, director of Suffolk University's Political Research Center. "Prior to the debates, they had little opportunity to compete with Trump's intake of all the political oxygen."

Republican presidential candidate Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker listens as Donald Trump fields a question during the first Republican presidential debate.  Scott Olson, Getty Images

The contenders who carried the past two presidential caucuses in Iowa had little support to show for it. Former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum, who won the 2012 caucuses was backed by less than 1% — he was named by just three of those surveyed — and Huckabee, who won in 2008, was at 2%.

When asked for their second choice — a question that helps measure a contender's room to grow as the field winnows — Carson, Rubio and Cruz and Walker were named by at least 10% of those surveyed. Trump was named by 6%.

------------------

As our caucus is a little over 5 months away, Iowa Republicans are starting to pay attention a little more to the Presidential race. They will likely be the first to start showing shifts in numbers as they react to news events, which may give clues as to where the race is going.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 07:38:28 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

bkepley

Re: Iowa poll: Trump still leads, but dented by debate
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 07:40:14 pm »
This is also similar to what I read about the latest New Hampshire poll...Trump lost ground after the debate.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 08:17:33 pm »
The braggadocio and bluster will need to give way to policy positions, or in the end I doubt he will stay on top of polls.

And if he is not on top of polls, he will drop out and say his work is done.

Maybe that is an acceptable outcome for most interested parties. 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 08:20:50 pm »
The braggadocio and bluster will need to give way to policy positions, or in the end I doubt he will stay on top of polls.

And if he is not on top of polls, he will drop out and say his work is done.

Maybe that is an acceptable outcome for most interested parties.

His dropping out and not running third party is, IMO, the most acceptable outcome for the entire country.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 08:41:26 pm »
His dropping out and not running third party is, IMO, the most acceptable outcome for the entire country.

I'm sorry, but I'm LOL!  Your statement took me back to HS--reminding me of an overbearing teacher we all called "Lavinia Bunhead".  She would have expressed your opinion with the exact same words!      :silly:

(Not that there's anything wrong with that. )   

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 08:46:27 pm »

Absolutely!  :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 08:57:00 pm »
I'm sorry, but I'm LOL!  Your statement took me back to HS--reminding me of an overbearing teacher we all called "Lavinia Bunhead".  She would have expressed your opinion with the exact same words!      :silly:

(Not that there's anything wrong with that. )

Well, ol' Lavinia must have been one sharp cookie.   :laugh:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 09:00:08 pm »
This is also similar to what I read about the latest New Hampshire poll...Trump lost ground after the debate.
You'd hope so. You can only go so long letting a 12-year-old run your Twitter the way Trump's has been run lately and not get any backlash.

That, of course, leaves (suspected) paid shill Breitbart as the outlier.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

bkepley

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 10:14:48 pm »
You'd hope so. You can only go so long letting a 12-year-old run your Twitter the way Trump's has been run lately and not get any backlash.

That, of course, leaves (suspected) paid shill Breitbart as the outlier.

I was thinking of breibart as one of two things: 1) They want to stake out a position of cutting edge right-wing or 2) They are hoping to sell out to Trump.  Certainly A. Breitbart would not have approved of the changes there.