Author Topic: Unexploded WWII bomb prompts evacuations in London  (Read 380 times)

rangerrebew

Unexploded WWII bomb prompts evacuations in London
« on: August 11, 2015, 09:31:33 am »
Unexploded WWII bomb prompts evacuations in London

By Danielle Haynes Follow @DanielleHaynes1 Contact the Author   |   Aug. 10, 2015 at 9:15 PM    

LONDON, Aug. 10 (UPI) -- Contractors in London unearthed what military officials believed to be an unexploded German bomb from World War II, prompting the evacuation of about 150 people.

The 500-pound explosive was discovered at a building site Monday afternoon in the Bethnal Green district of London, the Ministry of Defense said in a news release.

Military bomb disposal experts were being assisted by the London Fire Brigade, Metropolitan Police and city officials in diffusing the bomb. London Fire said a nearly 500-foot safety cordon was put in place and about 150 people were evacuated overnight.

"It is likely that this incident will continue throughout the night and there is the potential for disruption early tomorrow morning. We'd advise that people avoid the area during tomorrow's rush hour and use alternative routes," London Fire Group Manager Pat Goulbourne said.

Military officials believe German aircraft dropped the bomb on London some 70 years ago and it has lain undisturbed ever since.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2015/08/10/Unexploded-WWII-bomb-prompts-evacuations-in-London/5361439255020/?spt=hs&or=tn_int
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 09:32:17 am by rangerrebew »

Offline EdinVA

Re: Unexploded WWII bomb prompts evacuations in London
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 11:32:28 am »
Sometimes in all of our political squabbling with England we forget the beating they took during WWII and the fact that the are still find unexploded ordinance is a testament to that.
Their resiliency and courage was amazing.
When I was in England, I tagged along with the guys on a Dart Team and we would compete with the locals at a pub, we always lost but it was great fun.
One of the locals would try to argue with me that they did not need the Americans to win the war, it was funny, he bought the beer so we went at it all night...