Author Topic: 'Yes means yes' policy coming under fire from judges  (Read 778 times)

Offline EdinVA

'Yes means yes' policy coming under fire from judges
« on: August 10, 2015, 11:44:43 pm »
Judges across the country are saying “no” to the “yes means yes” standard of affirmative consent for date rape.

The legality of the standard – adopted on California and New York campuses by state legislatures and in effect on numerous other colleges throughout the country – is in question following a series of recent rulings that cite a lack of due process.

“These decisions are harbingers,” said John Banzhaf, a professor at George Washington University Law School and a public interest lawyer. “It does take time for new ideas to percolate through the system.”

Under the standard, the accused, typically a male, has to prove he obtained consent, even if neither party remembers what happened. The standard forces the accused to prove his innocence, rather than be proven guilty.

A student expelled from the University of California-San Diego had an “unfair” hearing, Superior Court Judge Joel M. Pressman ruled in July. The John Doe accused in the case said he was unable to cross-examine his accuser and other witnesses. He also said he was forced to submit questions to a hearing panel in advance, and many of his questions were then rejected. Pressman agreed this was a violation of his due process rights.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/10/yes-means-yes-policy-coming-under-fire-from-judges/?intcmp=hpbt2

Offline Charlespg

Re: 'Yes means yes' policy coming under fire from judges
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 12:03:16 am »
Good
Time for some $800.000 plus lawsuits
by the victims of these kangaroo courts
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton

Offline Paladin

Re: 'Yes means yes' policy coming under fire from judges
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 12:09:41 am »
I swim against the current.

I think males, being what they are, should have to video tape any intimate engagements they have from consent to post coital cuddling (or vaping, if that is what the parties prefer).

It's the only way to be sure.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.