Author Topic: Cecil the lion's cub killed by rival male  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Paladin

Cecil the lion's cub killed by rival male
« on: August 10, 2015, 06:14:50 am »
So should this second lion be tried for...murder?

One of Cecil the lion's cubs has reportedly been killed by a rival male who was trying to mate with his mother.

Cecil, a 13-year-old lion who was beloved by visitors and park rangers at his home in Zimbabwe, was killed last month by an American dentist on a hunting trip.

The death of one of Cecil's eight cubs has raised fears for his remaining offspring, which could also be targeted by the large predatory male lion.

Wildlife guides warn that Cecil's pride has only a five per cent chance of survival after several solitary male lions were spotted prowling near their abandoned den in Hwange National Park, according to the Sunday Mirror. 

A source told the Mirror: “One of the eight cubs was killed by a male lion after Cecil was killed

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/zimbabwe/11792521/Cecil-the-lions-cub-killed-by-rival-male.html
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline mountaineer

Re: Cecil the lion's cub killed by rival male
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 01:03:59 pm »
Who the heck is keeping track of one's lion's offspring, let alone giving these critters names? Is this actually a paying job?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 01:17:19 pm »
The pay is crappy, but it is a paying job.

The rangers keep tabs on all the predators in the park as some have to be removed to maintain the right balance.

Cecil's (bleeh) pride is the subject of a long term study, so a small team also keep an eye on them.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 01:42:49 pm »

The rangers keep tabs on all the predators in the park as some have to be removed to maintain the right balance.

Cecil's (bleeh) pride is the subject of a long term study, so a small team also keep an eye on them.

What they're not saying is that the cub's GPS tracker-collar got snagged in some heavy brush, and was a sitting duck  [/s]
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 06:35:21 pm »
Cutting up babies selling them for money...........................any outrage yet?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 06:42:05 pm »
I really don't care that this lion or another was killed, whether by a game hunter or another lion. I just don't care. This lion could have been killed by space aliens and I still wouldn't care.

My country is being destroyed by fools. My fellow Americans, also fools, are worrying about Kendra still being on top, or Cecil the lion or Dancing with the Stars. I just don't freakin' care.

Offline flowers

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 06:50:31 pm »
I really don't care that this lion or another was killed, whether by a game hunter or another lion. I just don't care. This lion could have been killed by space aliens and I still wouldn't care.

My country is being destroyed by fools. My fellow Americans, also fools, are worrying about Kendra still being on top, or Cecil the lion or Dancing with the Stars. I just don't freakin' care.
:patriot:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 06:53:39 pm »
Cutting up babies selling them for money...........................any outrage yet?

Only if they were lion cubs..........  **nononono*
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 06:56:39 pm »
The pay is crappy, but it is a paying job.

Cecil was "tagged" to be studied. We do that in the US, too.

In times of olde, "conservatives" noticed the commonality in the words "conservation" and "conservative."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 07:00:30 pm »
Tagging is one thing. Good for them. We don't want various species to become extinct.

"Naming" wild animals is quite another, especially when it leads to mass hysteria over their deaths. And yes, some of us conservatives also are conservationists. But here's a news flash - hunters kill some animals. Other animals kill some animals. It's really not a big deal (until the news media get involved).

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 10:52:21 pm »
I know in Kenya if there is a problem lion or leopard - one taking too much livestock or one that's started taking people - a licence is sold for it to be killed by Western hunters. Everyone's happy then - a trouble is removed, the hunter gets his trophy and the government gets a decent wedge (which normally goes towards conservation)
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 04:54:10 pm »
So should this second lion be tried for...murder?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/zimbabwe/11792521/Cecil-the-lions-cub-killed-by-rival-male.html

Male lions, indeed all cats, kill the cubs or kittens of the male they have driven out or killed, in order to bring the lionesses [females of each species] quickly into heat, so they can reproduce their own line.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Paladin

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 03:40:26 am »
Seen the latest "People" Cover? (Add a "J" to at the beginning of the first word, top of page)

Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.