Author Topic: A JURY HAS REACHED A VERDICT IN THE DEATH PENALTY CASE OF JAMES HOLMES WHO KILLED 12 AND INJURED 70 IN THE COLORADO MOVIE THEATER MASSACRE. THE JUDGE WILL READ THE VERDICT AT 7 P.M. ET.  (Read 1437 times)

Offline flowers

Jury Reaches Verdict on Whether James Holmes Gets Death Penalty

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/jury-reaches-verdict-whether-james-holmes-gets-death-penalty-n406141?cid=eml_nbn_20150807

The jury weighing whether Colorado movie theater shooter James Holmes deserves to die has reached a verdict.

The decision is expected to be read at 5 p.m. (7 p.m. ET).

It is the same jury that convicted Holmes of 24 counts of first-degree murder and 140 counts of attempted murder last month in the July 20, 2012, massacre at a midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" in Aurora. The jury deliberated less than 13 hours before reaching that decision.

Since then, the jury has moved quickly through two prior decisions in the trial's penalty phase, taking a few hours to vote that there were substantial "aggravating factors" to consider the death penalty, and that the defense's arguments against execution didn't outweigh those factors.

For the final decision, the jury deliberated for less than seven hours, starting on Thursday afternoon and continuing through Friday.

If the jury decides against the death penalty, Holmes will get life in prison

Online mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

bkepley

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
#BlackLivesMatter already claiming he got spared capital punishment because he's white.

As if OJ never happened.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

bkepley

#BlackLivesMatter already claiming he got spared capital punishment because he's white.

As if OJ never happened.

Well they gotta make a living too you know.

Offline musiclady

Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline PzLdr

Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
I knew a man once that was clearly mentally ill.  He was prescribed medication that he wouldn't take, his family had given up on him.  He was crazy.  One day I saw him walking down the street tugging something on a dog leash - it was the guts of an old tube radio!  He was walking it like a dog. 

He started breaking windows of businesses, harassing people on the street and the police would come get him - the judge would order him to the psyche ward to straighten him out and get his medications lined back out - and then they would release him again....and again....and again.  We were at the mercy of him and everytime they released him, he would crank up his mis-behaviours.  He would pee on people from the top of buildings, he set his house on fire - he was screaming for help!

Always, the judge would just send him to the psyche ward and always they would release him.  The psyche ward was really the only place he felt safe.

One day, he went into a local business - a hair salon - and he grabbed a pair of scissors and held it to the hair stylist's throat while threatening to kill her. 

Finally, the judge said he could charge him with terrorist threatening and they were able to put him away for a good long time.  I think it was what he wanted all along.

This Holmes guy finally got what he wanted too.  When are we going to start taking mental illness seriously instead of just loading people up with a bunch of medications?  Some people just need to be taken out of society before they really hurt someone. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline NavyCanDo

Sometimes there's "honor among thieves." Jeffrey Dahmer didn't make it 2.5 years in prison before being beaten to death. Justice in that case was served much faster than if he had been sentenced to death. I say make his roommate Christopher Scarver (the person that beat Dahmer to death in prison). Or even better, Hannibal Lecter.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline musiclady

Sometimes there's "honor among thieves." Jeffrey Dahmer didn't make it 2.5 years in prison before being beaten to death. Justice in that case was served much faster than if he had been sentenced to death. I say make his roommate Christopher Scarver (the person that beat Dahmer to death in prison). Or even better, Hannibal Lecter.

I was thinking the same thing (well..... not the Hannibal Lecter part).  I'll bet he won't make it too long in prison.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Criminals. Doing the jobs Americans won't do.  :tongue2:

He won't last six months in prison.  He's truly a dead man walking.

The beauty of not getting the death penalty is that it won't take 15 years to gitt er done.   :smokin:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline musiclady

Offline flowers

ONE hold out.

Disappointing, indeed.......
I thought for sure after the last verdict, to go ahead and put death on the table it was going to be death. I wonder why the holdout didn't holdout then? He would have automatically received life. 

Offline musiclady

I thought for sure after the last verdict, to go ahead and put death on the table it was going to be death. I wonder why the holdout didn't holdout then? He would have automatically received life.

Good question, flowers.  Maybe he/she just wanted the power??

I agree with others, though.  I don't think this monster will last long in prison.