Author Topic: John Kerry in Hanoi to mark 20th anniversary of US-Vietnam ties  (Read 1113 times)

rangerrebew

John Kerry in Hanoi to mark 20th anniversary of US-Vietnam ties

By Matthew Lee, The Associated Press 11:35 a.m. EDT August 6, 2015

HANOI, Vietnam — U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, a Vietnam War veteran, is in the communist nation's capital to mark the 20th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Washington and Hanoi as he wraps up a five-nation tour of the Middle East and Southeast Asia.

Kerry arrived Thursday after stops in Egypt, Qatar, Singapore and Malaysia, and planned meetings with Vietnamese officials Friday as well as a speech on U.S.-Vietnamese relations. Despite the resumption of ties and a surge in U.S.-Vietnam trade, education and cultural exchanges, the U.S. remains concerned about Vietnam's human rights record. American officials said Kerry would raise that issue and urge improvement.

In addition, the officials said Kerry will encourage Vietnam on implementation of a Pacific Rim trade pact and reiterate the U.S. commitment to helping the country protect and patrol its territorial waters. The Obama administration last year partially lifted a ban on arms sales to Vietnam, allowing the U.S. to supply Hanoi with Coast Guard craft and associated equipment. But U.S. officials said it was unlikely that the easing would expand until Vietnam made significant progress on human rights.

But officials said Washington was exploring other ways to assist Vietnam in bolstering its maritime law enforcement capabilities and ensuring its territorial waters and fishing grounds are safe and secure.

Vietnam is among the Southeast Asian nations with competing claims with China over areas of the South China Sea, and has sought U.S. support for negotiated resolutions to the disputes.

Kerry came to Vietnam from a regional security forum in Malaysia where he and China's foreign minister clashed over who was to blame for rising tensions in the South China Sea, home to some of the world's busiest commercial sea lanes. The U.S. and China's smaller neighbors are calling for a halt to massive Chinese land reclamation projects in the disputed areas over which Beijing claims sole sovereignty.

U.S. officials said that during the Vietnam stop, Kerry was interested in discussing progress being made toward opening the Fulbright University, which would be the first independent higher education institution in the country.

Kerry's trip to Hanoi follows the first-ever visit to Washington last month of the head of Vietnam's ruling Communist Party, 40 years after the end of the Vietnam War and two decades after the restoration of diplomatic ties.

Nguyen Phu Trong, the one-party state's de facto leader, used the occasion to say that differences with the United States on human rights should not be allowed to obstruct the deepening of relations between the former enemies.

U.S. officials see stronger ties with Vietnam as a linchpin in President Obama's Asia policy. But human rights have remained a sore point even as American officials acknowledge that Vietnam's prosecution of dissidents has decreased. According to the State Department, Vietnam was holding about 125 political prisoners at the end of 2014.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/2015/08/06/john-kerry-hanoi-mark-20th-anniversary-us-vietnam-ties/31214057/

« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 11:41:15 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Re: John Kerry in Hanoi to mark 20th anniversary of US-Vietnam ties
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 11:42:16 pm »
Will he bring home his portrait from the heroes of the Viet Nam War hall?

bkepley

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 11:48:14 pm »
I'm sorry what is the problem here?  I can't believe anyone wants to re- fight that stupid war.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 12:16:13 am »
I don't see that anyone said there was a problem.  Kerry's history with and in Vietnam is less than honorable, from the standpoint of those who served  - but we really expect nothing better of him.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 11:57:34 am by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Paladin

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 12:45:54 am »
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, a Vietnam War veteran

John-Boy served in the military during the Vietnam War? Seriously? Why didn't someone mention it at some point?

Just one question: which side was he on?
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 05:42:26 am »
I'm sorry what is the problem here?  I can't believe anyone wants to re- fight that stupid war.

What's the problem? How 'bout John-Claude writes himself up for at least two of three Purple Hearts, then uses the three to get out of 'Nam after 4 months. How 'bout Lurch going to Paris to meet with the North Vietnamese and VC DURING active hostilities. Ever wonder why he didn't sign the 108? How 'bout Shitbird testifying to Congress that the rest of us raped, pillaged and murdered like troops of Genngghhis Khaan. Not enough for ya? How 'bout throwing somebody else's medals over the White House gate and claiming they were his? Or participating in the phony "Winter Soldier" hearings. Or doing all sorts of events with Hanoi Jane?

As for "re-fighting that stupid war", you already have - twice. Iraq and Afghanistan. We had a saying back in the day "Viet Nam. We were winning when I left". Takes a bunch of chickenshit politicians and a nation of cowards, daraft dodgers [who stopped protesting when they cancelled the draft] and lefties to screw that pooch. And they still do. I guess my problem with Kerry in this instance is I don't know which side he'll represent.

CPT ARMOR
MACV 1971

Imjin Scout
1968-1969
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

rangerrebew

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 05:54:35 pm »
  I guess my problem with Kerry in this instance is I don't know which side he'll represent.

Really?  Who has he supported since the Iran "negotiations?  It isn't the United States.  Some people never change.

Offline flowers

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 06:31:40 pm »
What's the problem? How 'bout John-Claude writes himself up for at least two of three Purple Hearts, then uses the three to get out of 'Nam after 4 months. How 'bout Lurch going to Paris to meet with the North Vietnamese and VC DURING active hostilities. Ever wonder why he didn't sign the 108? How 'bout Shitbird testifying to Congress that the rest of us raped, pillaged and murdered like troops of Genngghhis Khaan. Not enough for ya? How 'bout throwing somebody else's medals over the White House gate and claiming they were his? Or participating in the phony "Winter Soldier" hearings. Or doing all sorts of events with Hanoi Jane?

As for "re-fighting that stupid war", you already have - twice. Iraq and Afghanistan. We had a saying back in the day "Viet Nam. We were winning when I left". Takes a bunch of chickenshit politicians and a nation of cowards, daraft dodgers [who stopped protesting when they cancelled the draft] and lefties to screw that pooch. And they still do. I guess my problem with Kerry in this instance is I don't know which side he'll represent.

CPT ARMOR
MACV 1971

Imjin Scout
1968-1969

:patriot: 

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 07:12:28 pm »
John-Boy served in the military during the Vietnam War? Seriously? Why didn't someone mention it at some point?

Just one question: which side was he on?

His...

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 02:46:51 am »
PzLdr wrote above:
[[ I guess my problem with Kerry in this instance is I don't know which side he'll represent. ]]

I do.

Not intended to disrupt what otherwise was a very good post.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 03:14:50 am »

No one wants to re-fight that war! Least of all those of us who actually fought and won it the first time! But I'll be damned if will quietly stand by and watch the politicians undo what we did again to another generation of GOOD men!

Now go hide under your bed you worthless coward!! You and John F'n Kerry!

« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 03:17:41 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 03:16:38 am »
PzLdr wrote above:
[[ I guess my problem with Kerry in this instance is I don't know which side he'll represent. ]]

I do.

Not intended to disrupt what otherwise was a very good post.

So do I! And it isn't ours!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien