Author Topic: Helen Reddy, who sang ground-breaking feminist anthem, in nursing home with dementia  (Read 3159 times)

Offline Paladin

This is sad. I always enjoyed her singing, including I Am Woman. I do wish her well. 73 is not all that old, either.

I AM WOMAN singer Helen Reddy has been diagnosed with dementia. 

The 73-year-old singer has since moved into a Los Angeles nursing facility where she is being cared for by family and friends.

A source told an entertainment website while the debilitating illness is in its early stages, Reddy is already “asking same question every few minutes”.

Another source told website Entertainment Lead Stories that the iconic singer often forgets where she puts things.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/sydney-confidential/helen-reddy-who-sang-ground-breaking-feminist-anthem-in-nursing-home-with-dementia/story-fni0cvc9-1227471273729
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Relic

Helen Reddy? Wouldn't it be difficult to tell if she has dementia?

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Helen Reddy with dimentia:

I am woman hear me... wait... I am man watch me... no, that's not it.  Oh, yes.  I'm still an Oreo with a long, long way to go.  Or something.

Offline mountaineer

That's a shame. Early onset Alzheimers and other forms of dementia are devastating to the patient and the family.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I pulled up a Youtube video of her in 2013 and suffice it to say that the years have not been very kind to the lady.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
How long before the neighbor boy with evil on his mind stops by?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Sympathies to her family, but frankly I got many others who's well-being I care more about than some super leftist who likely would have no problem with me and my family taken to a camp and disposed up. I have very minimal concern for those in the high priesthood of the religion of Leftism who have proselytized it on the public stage. Like the apostle Paul, I shake off the dust and walk away to leave them to their fate. Sorry, but they are held to a higher standard.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 06:41:35 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline musiclady

I confess to loving "I am Woman." (I can still sing every single word).  I also liked the whole album it was on.

This truly is sad.  Far too young to have dementia.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Never cared what the politics of an entertainer are. Just if I like their stuff or not - I liked Helen Reddy. Good voice.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline andy58-in-nh

I confess to loving "I am Woman." (I can still sing every single word).  I also liked the whole album it was on.

This truly is sad.  Far too young to have dementia.

I remember that song on the radio back when I was a kid in high school, and of course we made fun of it a dozen ways from Sunday.

But looking back, especially in light of recent social developments, I have to wonder whether a modern female songstress would dare to include this line in a pop song: "But I'm still an embryo, with a long, long way to go..."
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline musiclady

I remember that song on the radio back when I was a kid in high school, and of course we made fun of it a dozen ways from Sunday.

But looking back, especially in light of recent social developments, I have to wonder whether a modern female songstress would dare to include this line in a pop song: "But I'm still an embryo, with a long, long way to go..."

I thought the same thing when I was reminded of the song today, andy.

Kinda goes against the law of the left these days.  Embryos are just 'tissue'............ not nascent human beings who have 'a long, long way to go...'
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.