Author Topic: Boy, was I wrong about Donald Trump. Here’s why...By Chris Cillizza  (Read 12516 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Boy, was I wrong about Donald Trump. Here’s why...By Chris Cillizza
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2015, 01:36:45 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

bkepley

« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2015, 01:42:48 pm »

That is such an empty slogan.  If it was coming from Hillary you'd puke.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2015, 02:16:23 pm »

Hey...YOU'RE the one who said the most important issue was the economy.  Not me.

The phrase rings loud to the 93+ million Americans no longer in the workforce...whether retired or stuck living in an underground economy.

And if somebody who built a nest of $10 BILLION told me he could do it...I'd listen.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Longiron

« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2015, 02:17:04 pm »

EMPTY but true and it is WORKING and that makes you want to PUKE???? :chairbang:

Offline Longiron

« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2015, 02:18:27 pm »
Hey...YOU'RE the one who said the most important issue was the economy.  Not me.

The phrase rings loud to the 93+ million Americans no longer in the workforce...whether retired or stuck living in an underground economy.

And if somebody who built a nest of $10 BILLION told me he could do it...I'd listen.

AND yes!!!! "he did build that"" goopo

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2015, 02:21:55 pm »

Furthermore, it would never come from Hillary's mouth.   She's the one who said this:

"We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good."

bkepley

« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2015, 02:24:42 pm »

Make America great again says nothing about the economy.  It could mean anything.   It's like how he'd fix Obamacare, by replacing it with something "terrific".  Ok well that's "terrific" I guess.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2015, 02:35:41 pm »
All campaign slogans are pithy nothings. (Wait, I think that's the first time I ever approved of a sweeping generalization!)

Happy days are here again! In your heart, you know he's right!  He kept us out of war! I'm just wild about Harry!

When I ran for state legislature, mine was "The right choice - for a change," which referred both to my being right (correct and conservative) and the fact that most past elections for that post had been  unopposed, thus the voters finally had a choice.

I just came across this press release:
FOLSOM, Calif., Aug. 4, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Tagline Guru™, one of the world's leading verbal branding agencies, today released its survey of the best and worst slogans of the 22 announced candidates running for President of the United States.

According to 250 branding, marketing, and advertising professionals, Mike Huckabee's From Hope to Higher Ground was ranked the highest from the Class of 2016, followed by A Political Revolution is Coming (Bernie Sanders); Telling It Like It Is (Chris Christie); Defeat the Washington Machine. Unleash the American Dream (Rand Paul); People Over Politics (George Pataki); Reigniting the Promise for America (Ted Cruz); and Jeb! (Jeb Bush).

Slogans that received the lowest rankings were We Must Do Right and Risk the Consequences (Rick Perry); Reform. Growth. Safety. (Scott Walker); Kasich for Us (John Kasich); Make America Great Again (Donald Trump); Ready to Be Commander-In-Chief on Day One (Lindsey Graham); Gilmore for America (Jim Gilmore); and Heal. Inspire. Revive. (Dr. Ben Carson).

Slogans from Lincoln Chafee, Hillary Clinton, Carly Fiorina, Bobby Jindal, Martin O'Malley, Marco Rubio, Rick Santorum, and Jim Webb were ranked in the middle - neither the best nor the worst.

Rankings were based on whether the slogans were catchy and memorable, told an inviting and persuasive story, and captured the personality of the candidate or spirit of the campaign. ...
More
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

bkepley

« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2015, 02:41:12 pm »
All campaign slogans are pithy nothings. (Wait, I think that's the first time I ever approved of a sweeping generalization!)

Happy days are here again! In your heart, you know he's right!  He kept us out of war! I'm just wild about Harry!

When I ran for state legislature, mine was "The right choice - for a change," which referred both to my being right (correct and conservative) and the fact that most past elections for that post had been  unopposed, thus the voters finally had a choice.

I just came across this press release:More

According to 250 branding, marketing, and advertising professionals, Mike Huckabee's From Hope to Higher Ground was ranked the highest from the Class of 2016, followed by A Political Revolution is Coming (Bernie Sanders); Telling It Like It Is (Chris Christie); Defeat the Washington Machine. Unleash the American Dream (Rand Paul); People Over Politics (George Pataki); Reigniting the Promise for America (Ted Cruz); and Jeb! (Jeb Bush).

Obviously slogans don't work but anyway the whole conversation about Trump's slogan proceeded from a remark I made that Trump needs to get a good focus on the economy if he could actually win the presidency since the economy is America's #1 concern.  Interestingly none of these "winning" slogans says much about the economy.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2015, 02:48:37 pm »

Obviously slogans don't work but anyway the whole conversation about Trump's slogan proceeded from a remark I made that Trump needs to get a good focus on the economy if he could actually win the presidency since the economy is America's #1 concern.  Interestingly none of these "winning" slogans says much about the economy.

I'm just a dumb, ignorant, average American.  Retired...for all intents and purposes.  With an IQ of only 125.

When the economy around me is struggling now going on seven years, and I see a slogan "Making America Great Again", that's the ONLY connection as to its meaning.

I apologize for inferring you were a 'troll' the other day.   

Obtuse and/or insufferable work better.   :chairbang:

bkepley

« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2015, 02:51:01 pm »
I'm just a dumb, ignorant, average American.  Retired...for all intents and purposes.  With an IQ of only 125.

When the economy around me is struggling now going on seven years, and I see a slogan "Making America Great Again", that's the ONLY connection as to its meaning.

I apologize for inferring you were a 'troll' the other day.   

Obtuse and/or insufferable work better.   :chairbang:

Hmmm...

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2015, 03:06:15 pm »

My issue with the slogan is more of a general issue with the way we perceive candidates or the way that candidates want to be perceived these days.

I take issue with this idea that this candidate or that candidate will, by the sheer weight of their magnificence, bring the country back around to that fabled time in our history when things were better and everything was perfect. Or in the case of the Democrats, build a better nation than has ever existed before.

Either thought is frightening.

Their campaign slogan may as well be "Elect me, I know where the unicorns hide."

I remember Reagan reminding us that the problems that needed to be fixed in this country could not be fixed by the government, because the government and those problems were one and the same.

Every time that I see a candidate tell me that, if elected, they're going to fix issues, all I see is bigger government ahead and all I hear is "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help."
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

bkepley

« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2015, 03:11:14 pm »
I take issue with this idea that this candidate or that candidate will, by the sheer weight of their magnificence, bring the country back around to that fabled time in our history when things were better and everything was perfect. Or in the case of the Democrats, build a better nation than has ever existed before.

Maybe we should start now by putting Trump on Mt. Rushmore.  I hear there's room.   :laugh:

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2015, 03:45:09 pm »
We're debating a campaign slogan on a baseball cap?  Really?
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

bkepley

« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2015, 03:47:07 pm »

No why, you want to have one?

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2015, 04:02:55 pm »
Slogans have to be short and catchy - and not stir up any negative connotations.  For that reason, they have to be basically neutral and positive at the same time.  Think of "Hope and Change" and "It's Morning in America".

Would you prefer, "Let's put Americans to Work!"

It does address the economy - but unfortunately, to a great many Americans (too many) that slogan would not be a positive thing.

I see nothing wrong with Trump's slogan. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

bkepley

« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2015, 04:09:34 pm »
Slogans have to be short and catchy - and not stir up any negative connotations.  For that reason, they have to be basically neutral and positive at the same time.  Think of "Hope and Change" and "It's Morning in America".

Would you prefer, "Let's put Americans to Work!"

It does address the economy - but unfortunately, to a great many Americans (too many) that slogan would not be a positive thing.

I see nothing wrong with Trump's slogan.

I don't see anything wrong with it either it just didn't address the point I was making (in my opinion) but since that ended up going all ad-hominem it's not really that important. 

Offline libertybele

« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2015, 08:16:44 pm »

Exactly.  Who cares about Trump's slogan??  Like him or not, the fact of the matter is he is polling double digits.  Tomorrow night is the debates and a lot of people are going to be tuning in to watch "The Donald".
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2015, 08:43:14 pm »
Just FYI, to appeal to the independents Trump needs to come up with good reasons to believe he can improve the economy. 

Not at all. The only thing he needs to accomplish is to have the voters think he is more likely to do it than the other knuckleheads and he has already accomplished that

Offline flowers

« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2015, 08:50:19 pm »
it was hilarious what Trump did with his phone number after Gawker released it to the world...... :silly:

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2015, 09:29:25 pm »

Sorry about that, Lando!  I should know better.

He's like an ankle biting terrier....but cute at the same time.   :laugh:

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2015, 09:34:53 pm »
Sorry about that, Lando!  I should know better.

He's like an ankle biting terrier....but cute at the same time.   :laugh:

:nometalk:
John Steinbeck

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2015, 09:40:55 pm »
Trump 2016

I'm all in!

:patriot:
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2015, 10:03:17 pm »
Trump 2016

I'm all in!

For some reason which I cannot express here.....I DON'T BELIEVE YOU!    :laugh:

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2015, 10:05:55 pm »
Trump 2016

I'm all in!

I'm lost in the wilderness now. 
John Steinbeck