Author Topic: GOP Lawmakers: Defund Planned Parenthood or Risk a Govt Shutdown  (Read 561 times)

rangerrebew

GOP Lawmakers: Defund Planned Parenthood or Risk a Govt Shutdown

Thursday, July 30, 2015 09:29 AM

By: Melanie Batley

As controversy surrounding the undercover videos of Planned Parenthood continues to swirl, congressional Republicans are vowing to defund the group even if it forces a government shutdown, Politico reported.

On Wednesday, 18 House Republicans told the leadership that they "cannot and will not support any funding resolution … that contains any funding for Planned Parenthood." And social conservatives like Sens. James Lankford of Oklahoma and Jeff Sessions of Alabama have said they would potentially introduce a rider to the spending bill that would eliminate the group's $528 million public funding.

"This is one of those line-in-the-sand type of issues," South Carolina GOP Rep. Mick Mulvaney told Politico. "Every time we say we don't want to spend money on something, the answer is it will provoke a shutdown."

In the Senate, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz is leading the charge, saying next week's Senate roll call to defund the group is a "legislative show vote" and he plans to do everything possible to force the issue, not barring a government shutdown.

"I would support any and all legislative efforts to defund Planned Parenthood. We do not need a legislative show-vote."

Over the weekend, Senate conservatives attempted to attach defunding measures to the transportation bill. But they have now shifted their strategy to focus on the upcoming government spending bill, according to Politico.

Sessions said Republicans "don't need to take no for an answer" after Democrats reject the provisions to defund it next week.

"Congress doesn't have to fund any program it doesn't think is justified. How does it get to be that a minority of the Democrats can dictate that a majority party has to fund programs it doesn't believe in?" Sessions said, according to Politico. "We don't need to go at it halfheartedly."

Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul is also leading the charge to defund the pro-choice organization.

He said on Fox News' "Hannity" on Wednesday that he thinks there are 58 senators who will vote for defunding, according to Breitbart.

"I'm horrified by these videos and everybody is. When I think of ultrasound, I think of the pictures of my kids before they were born and the happiness we had," Paul said. "To imagine that doctors are using ultrasound to manipulate the body around, turn the body around to take body parts from a baby, it just — it sickens me."

He said he believes that there's at least three or four Democrats that could cross over and vote with the Republicans.

"We're going to work very hard. I think there are some pro-choice Democrats, there are many pro-choice Americans who are horrified by this. Because they don't think of abortion as turning the baby around and harvesting baby hearts, and showing kidneys and livers and lungs and hearts that are then being resold. The gruesomeness of this cannot be overstated," Paul said. "And I think we may well get some Democrats who are going to say, 'Enough's enough, we can't keep funding a group that does this.'"

Meanwhile, the group that released the three undercover videos of Planned Parenthood staff discussing the harvesting or sale of fetal tissue has said there are nine more videos set for release, the Daily Caller reported.

"We have close to 300 hours total of undercover video that was gathered during a 20-month-long, in-depth investigative journalism study of how Planned Parenthood sells the body parts of the babies they abort," David Daleiden, founder of the Center for Medical Progress, told Sean Hannity on his radio show on Tuesday.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/planned-parenthood-spending-bill-defund-gop/2015/07/30/id/659610/
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 02:58:54 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: GOP Lawmakers: Defund Planned Parenthood or Risk a Govt Shutdown
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 03:10:38 pm »
Unfortunately, I don't think the majority of Americans are even repulsed by this - as evidenced by the lack of outrage by most people and most politicians.  They are just politely stepping over it, like you would dog poop on the sidewalk, and going on their merry way. 

This is where we are now in America.  I used to say that America is on the floor, needing resuscitation, but now I say it is too late.  The patient is dead.

We've gone over the precipice now and there's no going back.   8888crybaby

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 03:17:55 pm »
Unfortunately, I don't think the majority of Americans are even repulsed by this - as evidenced by the lack of outrage by most people and most politicians.  They are just politely stepping over it, like you would dog poop on the sidewalk, and going on their merry way. 

This is where we are now in America.  I used to say that America is on the floor, needing resuscitation, but now I say it is too late.  The patient is dead.

I couldn't agree more.
America is earning every bit of what's coming.

bkepley

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 03:21:22 pm »

Usually I am a little leery about using government shutdown but I actually think this might be a good time to use it.  Why are we funding this outfit anyway?  The liberals like it let them fund it privately.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 03:30:29 pm »
Usually I am a little leery about using government shutdown but I actually think this might be a good time to use it.  Why are we funding this outfit anyway?  The liberals like it let them fund it privately.

They absolutely should be defunded - they're apparently getting plenty of corporate donations - plus the money they're making selling body parts.  It is an outrage - but I'm not holding my breath until they are defunded.  I just don't see it happening.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!