Author Topic: Graham: Can't Defund Planned Parenthood, 'Obama Won't Sign It'  (Read 1513 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=659651

Newsmax
Graham: Can't Defund Planned Parenthood, 'Obama Won't Sign It'
Thursday, July 30, 2015 01:18 PM

By: Bill Hoffmann

Republican lawmakers can forget about defunding Planned Parenthood for now — because it will never happen with a Democratic president in the White House, Sen. Lindsey Graham tells Newsmax TV.

"We may get a majority but we'll never get a bill signed into law that defunds Planned Parenthood because Obama won't sign it," Graham, a South Carolina Republican and GOP presidential candidate, said Thursday on "The Steve Malzberg Show."

"So if you want to defund Planned Parenthood, replace Obama, and do a lot of things that we would like, like build the [Keystone] pipeline, you'd better get a new president."

Planned Parenthood has been under fire for a series of undercover videos released by the conservative Center for Medical Progress that show officials discussing the sale of aborted fetal organs for research.

The footage spurred Republican lawmakers to demand an investigation of Planned Parenthood, which they say should not receive federal funds until it is concluded. According to Planned Parenthood's annual report, it has received $4.3 billion in government funding over the last 10 years.

But Graham told Steve Malzberg:

"I don't want to tell people on your show that we have the votes to defund Planned Parenthood because you'd have to override the presidential veto. Do you think Obama would veto a bill that would defund Planned Parenthood?"

Still, some congressional Republicans are vowing to defund the group, even if it forces a government shutdown, according to Politico.

In the Senate, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz is leading the charge, saying next week's Senate roll call to defund the group is a "legislative show vote" and he plans to do everything possible to force the issue, not barring a government shutdown.

Meanwhile, the Center for Medical Progress, which so far has released three undercover videos of Planned Parenthood staff discussing the harvesting or sale of fetal tissue, says there are nine more videos coming out, according to The Daily Caller.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Graham: Can't Defund Planned Parenthood, 'Obama Won't Sign It'
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 11:13:43 pm »
MAKE HIM NOT SIGN IT YOU IDIOT!

Sorry for shouting!

Here's a sentence for a letter I sent out this very morning to every member of congress I know "If the upcoming federal budget contains even so much as one penny's worth of funding for Planned Parenthood I will do my utmost to see that you are removed from office at the next opportunity!"
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 12:06:33 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 11:42:31 pm »
Exactly.  How can anyone with the information and videos coming out, NOT defund Planned Parenthood?  Let Obama defend Planned Parenthood by not signing.

This is the most recent article that indicates that there is a possibility that babies born alive are being killed.

http://liveactionnews.org/planned-parenthood-video-reveals-possibility-babies-born-alive-killed/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 11:56:40 pm »
I don't understand...and don't want to understand it, but if the Congress controls the purse, and the House and Senate of GOP majorities, DON'T FUND IT.

Why in the hell should it require the POTUS' signature?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 12:02:13 am »
I don't understand...and don't want to understand it, but if the Congress controls the purse, and the House and Senate of GOP majorities, DON'T FUND IT.

Why in the hell should it require the POTUS' signature?

The TRUTH is that it doesn't! It really doesn't even require the consent of the Senate.  The House alone can simply refuse to include it in the budget and it's gone IF they can find the courage to stick to their guns on the matter!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 12:09:09 am »
The TRUTH is that it doesn't! It really doesn't even require the consent of the Senate.  The House alone can simply refuse to include it in the budget and it's gone IF they can find the courage to stick to their guns on the matter!

But that would mean risking the ire of the pansy leftist Democrat media. And our GOP Congress can't risk that! They just want to be loved....
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 12:13:46 am by aligncare »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 12:13:24 am »
Here's a line from a letter I sent to every single member of the  Texas delegation in the U.S. House of Representatives this morning.

"If the upcoming federal budget contains even so much as one penny's worth of funding for Planned Parenthood I will do every thing in my power to make sure that you do not return to congress in the next session."

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 01:38:28 am »
Bigun wrote above:
[[ The TRUTH is that it doesn't! It really doesn't even require the consent of the Senate.  The House alone can simply refuse to include it in the budget and it's gone IF they can find the courage to stick to their guns on the matter! ]]

Of course you are EXACTLY right on this.

All the House has to do is remove specific funding for Planned Parenthood from ANY and EVERY funding bill that moves from that chamber.

If the Senate passes a funding bill -with- funding for PP in it, the House should simply strike it when the bill comes up "for reconciliation", and send it back with any specific funding for PP excised.

There's nothing difficult about this.
The House Republicans have the incontrovertible "power of the purse".
They can fund, or they can refuse to fund.
They have an absolute majority and there is no filibuster in the House.
All it takes is 50% plus one vote.
It's easy.

But will they do it?
What do YOU think?

Offline aligncare

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 02:40:37 am »
Heck, no, they won't. They're busy. They've got to go to work for the American people - whoever they are? since citizenship means nothing today.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 02:51:33 am »
Bigun wrote above:
[[ The TRUTH is that it doesn't! It really doesn't even require the consent of the Senate.  The House alone can simply refuse to include it in the budget and it's gone IF they can find the courage to stick to their guns on the matter! ]]

Of course you are EXACTLY right on this.

All the House has to do is remove specific funding for Planned Parenthood from ANY and EVERY funding bill that moves from that chamber.

If the Senate passes a funding bill -with- funding for PP in it, the House should simply strike it when the bill comes up "for reconciliation", and send it back with any specific funding for PP excised.

There's nothing difficult about this.
The House Republicans have the incontrovertible "power of the purse".
They can fund, or they can refuse to fund.
They have an absolute majority and there is no filibuster in the House.
All it takes is 50% plus one vote.
It's easy.

But will they do it?
What do YOU think?

ONLY  if they hear an emphatic demand for it from the folks back home during their August recess!

- J. R. R. Tolkien