Author Topic: Senate confirms new Joint Chiefs chairman  (Read 325 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senate confirms new Joint Chiefs chairman
« on: July 30, 2015, 01:40:18 am »
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/249733-senate-confirms-new-military-chief

July 29, 2015, 07:16 pm
Senate confirms new Joint Chiefs chairman

By Jordain Carney

Senators on Wednesday confirmed Gen. Joseph Dunford to be the new chairman of the joint chiefs of staff.
The Senate's approval of Dunford, the head of the Marine Corps, tees him up to replace Gen. Martin Dempsey, the country's top military officer, later this year.

The confirmation — which Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) included at the end of the Senate's Wednesday session by unanimous consent — caps off a relatively smooth confirmation process for the military officer.

Sen. Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) predicted earlier this month that Dunford would get the backing of every senator during a roll call vote.

“I think he’s going to do a fine job. I think he’s going to have a unanimous confirmation in the Senate,” Ernst, a member of the Armed Services panel, told Radio Iowa at the time. “I admire him greatly and respect his service.”

President Obama nominated Dunford in May, praising him as "one of the most admired officers in our military.”

“I know Joe. I trust him,” the president added. “He’s already proven his ability to give me his unvarnished military advice based on his experience on the ground.”

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.)., the chairman of the Armed Services Committee, also quickly endorsed Dunford calling him an "outstanding selection."

Before serving as the commandant of the Marine Corps, Dunford was the top commander in Afghanistan in 2013 and 2014.

His ascension to the top military post comes as the Pentagon manages the battle against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS), while also continuing the administration's pivot to the Asia-Pacific region.

He'll also have to tackle the impact of congressionally-mandated budget caps on the military, and what has been an at times rocky relationship between the White House and the Pentagon.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Senate confirms new Joint Chiefs chairman
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 01:42:15 am »
I hope his troops come before being Obama's *yes man*
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34