Author Topic: Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park  (Read 784 times)

rangerrebew

Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park

Authorities have not identified the attackers but most commentators have assumed that they were Muslims

John Lichfield   Author Biography

Sunday 26 July 2015

French social networks exploded with anger after a young woman was reportedly beaten up by a gang of girls and young women for wearing a bikini in a park.

Authorities have not identified the attackers but most commentators have assumed that they were Muslims.

Protesters organised a demonstration in bikinis and other bathing costumes in the park where the attack occurred, in Reims in northern France. Although drizzle and cold winds meant only about a dozen people turned out, hundreds across France responded to a Twitter appeal by the anti-racist organisation SOS Racisme to post images of themselves or others wearing skimpy bathing costumes in public places, under the hashtag #jeportemonmaillotauparc (I wear my swimsuit in the park).

The five attackers, aged 16 to 24, were quickly arrested and the three oldest have been remanded to appear in court in September, while two girls aged 16 and 17 face further questioning. The authorities have not named them but said that they all came from housing estates with large Muslim populations.

It is not yet clear whether their unnamed 21-year-old victim was of French or north African origin. She was sunbathing with two friends in the Parc Léo Lagrange in Reims on Wednesday when one of the women verbally abused her for “immorally” exposing so much flesh in a public place. When she shouted back, the other girls and young women crowded around and slapped and punched her, police said. Passers-by intervened, and the victim was badly bruised rather than seriously hurt.

Police told L’Union newspaper that the victim was not able to say whether or not her assailants were motivated by “religious opinions”.

Arnaud Robinet, the mayor of Reims, said: “We have to be very careful not to jump to conclusions. All the same, I can understand why people have assumed that this attack had religious motives. If that turns out to be the case, it is a very serious incident.”

Far-right bloggers seized on the incident as an example of an alleged radical Islamic threat to French values.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/public-anger-after-gang-beat-up-french-sunbather-for-wearing-a-bikini-in-reims-park-10417103.html
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 07:39:22 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline aligncare

Islam: The religion of the forbidden two-piece bikini. A full-body wet suit is okay, though. Right?

Offline musiclady

Perhaps something along these lines would be OK??.....

Or too revealing??
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline mountaineer

Wow, I've been to Parc Leo LeGrange but it was many years ago and I doubt there were as many Muzzies around. We did eat in an Indian restaurant in Reims, though.  ^-^
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline aligncare

Perhaps something along these lines would be OK??.....

Or too revealing??

Too much skin. I see face ... so off with their face, along with their brain-case.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 02:34:21 am by aligncare »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum

Offline Paladin

From the original article cited by Rangerbrew:
Far-right bloggers seized on the incident as an example of an alleged radical Islamic threat to French values.

Yeah, those far right bloggers and their silly concerns over alleged radical Islamic threats.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Paladin

Bikini attack in France had nothing to do with Islam, police confirm

That's what the headline says. But in the very first paragraph that gets altered.

An attack on a woman sunbathing in a French park which led to a Twitter campaign by people defending the right to wear bikinis had nothing to do with race, police have confirmed.

Is it race or religion? Neither according to the authorities

However, police have since called the incident a fight between two rival girl gangs and said it had "nothing to do with Islam".

Superintendent Julie Galisson said in a statement: "It was a fight between young girls which degenerated after one of the authors of the aggression said 'Get dressed, it’s not summer'."

Uh huh.

Here are the names of the women who were arrested. Merely by coincidence the names seem to evoke a certain religious image.

Three of the women aged between 18 and 24 were named as Ines Nouri, Zohra Karim and Hadoune Tadjouri. The two underage girls have not been named.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/france-defended-bikinis-from-muslims-following-attack-that-had-nothing-to-do-with-religion-10421569.html
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.