Author Topic: Republicans like the Republican Party less and less. Why?  (Read 3040 times)

Online libertybele

Re: Republicans like the Republican Party less and less. Why?
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2015, 10:26:16 pm »
I don't know what the real story is other than his take on it.  I understand that he is upset over the Export-Import Bank and was unloading with a shotgun at McConnell.  What I said I thought was funny was his being upset over McConnell allowing a vote to repeal Obamacare given Cruz continual fight...to repeal Obamacare.

As for putting his political career on the line, he's running for president and this might be a good time to try to take some of the news away from Trump.  After all, timing is everything.  It's all politics, even with those "good guys".   ^-^

My take on Cruz's speech was #1 McConnell out and out lied to him and the rest of the Senate.  #2 The people voted and handed the Republicans the majority in the House and Senate and the current majority leader is just as much of an obstructionist as the former majority leader, now minority leader.  #3 He brought the corruption that is going on in the Senate front and center.

Yes, I realize and it crossed my mind that he is running for president, and seized the moment, but at the end of the day, the truth is the truth.  Trump may have given out McConnell cell phone number, but Cruz gave out his lie.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2015, 10:29:03 pm »
FWIW (which ain't much), I wouldn't make them campaign themes.

I might even go a step further and push to the states to figure out what they want to do and get the feds out of it.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2015, 10:35:49 pm »
I might even go a step further and push to the states to figure out what they want to do and get the feds out of it.

I believe a number of them are with respect to abortions after 20 weeks as well as other regulations such as parental notification, waiting periods, clinic requirements etc.  As for SSM, I don't think the states can do much, now that it's the law of the land.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2015, 10:51:37 pm »
My take on Cruz's speech was #1 McConnell out and out lied to him and the rest of the Senate.  #2 The people voted and handed the Republicans the majority in the House and Senate and the current majority leader is just as much of an obstructionist as the former majority leader, now minority leader.  #3 He brought the corruption that is going on in the Senate front and center.

Yes, I realize and it crossed my mind that he is running for president, and seized the moment, but at the end of the day, the truth is the truth.  Trump may have given out McConnell cell phone number, but Cruz gave out his lie.

Well apparently Kentucky likes McConnell.  When dealing with politicians, nothing is what it appears.  Maybe everything Cruz said was spot on, maybe enhanced.  But the very fact that Cruz picked today to make these claims tells me a lot, since as I understand it, McConnell has been saying for months he would allow a vote on the bank.  Those who love Cruz and his stands should at least recognize he's a politician who's timing leading into the first debate is...well...impeccable. 

BTW the phone brouhaha was with Graham.

bkepley

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2015, 11:05:49 pm »
Well apparently Kentucky likes McConnell.  When dealing with politicians, nothing is what it appears.  Maybe everything Cruz said was spot on, maybe enhanced.  But the very fact that Cruz picked today to make these claims tells me a lot, since as I understand it, McConnell has been saying for months he would allow a vote on the bank.  Those who love Cruz and his stands should at least recognize he's a politician who's timing leading into the first debate is...well...impeccable. 

BTW the phone brouhaha was with Graham.

I hate all the anti-McConnell stuff.  I used to watch McConnell just take apart the MSM on behalf of the Reagan administration with a nice 'this is kinda amusing' smile.  I can't believe he is now this great enemy.  I suspect it's more about who can play the most agrieved conservative.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2015, 11:19:44 pm »
I hate all the anti-McConnell stuff.  I used to watch McConnell just take apart the MSM on behalf of the Reagan administration with a nice 'this is kinda amusing' smile.  I can't believe he is now this great enemy.  I suspect it's more about who can play the most agrieved conservative.

To borrow a few words from Senator Cruz's floor speech today, Can you tell me what has happened in this Senate that would not have happened in the Harry Reid Senate?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 11:22:47 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2015, 12:09:14 am »
McConnell is intellectually and politically corrupt. He's a slippery back room dealmaker and liar.

bkepley

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2015, 12:12:11 am »
McConnell is intellectually and politically corrupt. He's a slippery back room dealmaker and liar.

I doubt that is the whole story but I am not a Kentucky Republican.

Online Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2015, 12:17:40 am »
So Luis, we just forget about SSM, abortion etc and let that go where ever it goes and just focus on the money?

Yes.

That and national security.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2015, 12:19:05 am »

To borrow a few words from Senator Cruz's floor speech today, Can you tell me what has happened in this Senate that would not have happened in the Harry Reid Senate?

Well, coming up in a day or so will be a vote to repeal Obamacare.  :laugh:

Online Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2015, 12:19:16 am »
FWIW (which ain't much), I wouldn't make them campaign themes.

Yep.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2015, 01:37:36 am »
Republicans should look at the chart posted above and be nervous.

VERY nervous...

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2015, 01:41:25 am »
Bigun wrote above:
[[ Which will happen IF WE can overcome the media and go directly to the people just like Reagan did! ]]

I sense that Mr. Trump is doing as well as he is right now, because he's using the tactic you describe above...

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2015, 02:58:08 am »
My response is very unpopular here.

You are more respected than you give yourself credit for.  Good post too.

Strange how the GOP favorables trends up at midterms. 

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2015, 03:00:28 am »
It is worth reading this entire article.
Thanx.

Online Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2015, 03:19:52 am »
So Luis, we just forget about SSM, abortion etc and let that go where ever it goes and just focus on the money?

Let me finish my thought now.

Yes.

That and national security.

This is a Federal election, is it not?

Oceander

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2015, 07:35:24 pm »
My response is very unpopular here.

Social issues are driven to the front of the debate by liberals because they are the Achilles' heel of today's right wing. People have an image of the GOP that's based on fights against SSM, etc.

The image of the right wing in general, which is the de facto image of the GOP in the minds of the sans culottes is that of a bunch of religious moralists who would impose Christian sharia on the nation, all of it controlled by powerful, mega-wealthy evil billionaire tax scofflaws who eat poor black baby omelettes for brunch at Trump's Lago Mar in Palm Beach. I don't for one minute believe that poor black baby omelettes are served at Lago Mar.

Liberals spend their time trying to force people into doing things they don't want to do, while conservatives spend an equal amount of time trying to stop people from doing things they want to do.

Very well put.  Unfortunately, that's also the image that's accepted overseas as well; I have a German friend who - albeit using less colorful language - essentially described his view of American politics thusly.  Thankfully he's smart enough to be persuaded by the truth.