Author Topic: Four federal agencies President Ted Cruz could do without  (Read 1360 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Four federal agencies President Ted Cruz could do without
« on: July 24, 2015, 05:06:10 pm »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2015/07/24/four-federal-agencies-president-ted-cruz-could-do-without/

By Amber Phillips July 24 at 8:00 AM

Presidential candidate Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) sure does want to shut down a lot of the federal agencies he hopes to one day run.

The firebrand conservative and GOP presidential candidate has defined his young Senate career by almost reflexively opposing increased government spending and programs -- remember the 21-hour speech he gave on the Senate floor in September 2013 to try to halt Obamacare? In fact, threatening to defund federal agencies as a political tool has kind of become his MO.

"I think we should shrink the size and power of the federal government by every and any means possible," he told the Daily Caller in 2012. "What does that mean? That means eliminating unnecessary or unconstitutional agencies."

And even after Cruz announced he's running for president in March -- a job that would make him the boss of said agencies -- it seems his perspective hasn't changed.

Here are at least four federal agencies presidential candidate Cruz said he would cut, defund or abolish. (Come back often; we expect this list to grow.)

The State Department

Most recently, Cruz threatened in a letter to President Obama to hold up State Department nominees and hold all bills that fund it. He hopes cutting off funding for our nation's hub of diplomacy will ensure President Obama doesn't let the United Nations approve the Iran nuclear deal before Congress can.

And when the State Department was four months late in releasing its annual human rights report in June -- something critics like Cruz contended was to appease Iran during the nuclear negotiations -- he suggested docking the department's budget for every month the report was delayed.

The IRS

In the days before he made his presidential campaign official, Cruz traveled to New Hampshire and vowed to abolish the IRS. Cruz reiterated his 2012 call for the IRS to go -- which would mean no taxes for anyone, we guess? To justify his position, he compared federal regulators to locusts that deserve to be killed.

"I was out once in West Texas and I said the only difference is you can't use pesticide on the regulators," he said.

The Department of Education

At the same New Hampshire campaign event, Cruz said the Department of Education must close. Apparently this is the very first agency he'd get rid of, he told the Daily Caller in 2012: "I think education is far too important to be governed by unelected bureaucrats in Washington."

The Export-Import Bank

Cruz has already succeeded in temporarily closing down the Export-Import Bank, an independent self-sustaining agency that helps American businesses invest overseas, partly by loaning foreign buyers the money. He and fellow tea party conservatives view the bank as a shining example of crony capitalism. And as Congress considers a vote to re-open the bank, he's threatening to do whatever it takes to keep it closed.

And more to come ...

Cruz may have an agency hit list longer than these four. According to Politifact.com, Cruz told the Houston Chronicle in 2012 he'd also get rid of: "the Department of Commerce, the Department of Energy, the National Endowment of the Arts."

If presidential candidate Cruz calls for those to be abolished, we'll add it to the list here.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Four federal agencies President Ted Cruz could do without
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 05:18:43 pm »
What's not to like?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Millee

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 05:35:44 pm »
It's a good start.   :patriot:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 05:36:41 pm »
OK, let's cut off all foreign relations and the agency responsible for collecting all taxes. What could possibly go wrong? /sarc
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 05:45:54 pm »
OK, let's cut off all foreign relations and the agency responsible for collecting all taxes. What could possibly go wrong? /sarc

You don't think taxes can be collected without the IRS??

I've got news for you! They can! And they absolutely should be!

Why do we need a State Department in order to maintain foreign relations? Explain that to me. We somehow did that for years in the past!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 06:39:14 pm »
Closing federal departments will not be popular in today's America...Americans want more federal departments, enough so everyone can have a do-nothing job. Here are some ideas I have:

Department of Gender Reassignment...to provide grants to underprivileged Hollywood stars who always felt wrong in their bodies.  They can also regulate the important problem of making certain that everyone's choice in restroom preference is respected.

Bureau of Bully Prevention...because teenagers need to feel good about their weight.

Department of Symbols...they can regulate the use and placement of flags and signs.

Department of Sugary Drinks...because Michelle ain't doin' nothin'

Department of Racial Condemnation...because there are white people.

Department of Cultural Control...because there are straight white males.

Department of Language...because too many people still speak English

Department of Cross-Border Transportation...because you can never have enough Democrat voters and you need to bring them in safely.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 11:28:01 pm »
Why do we need a State Department in order to maintain foreign relations? Explain that to me. We somehow did that for years in the past!

Really?  Who's going to do it? 

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 11:32:05 pm »
Really?  Who's going to do it?

The president can appoint ambassadors  but I don't think anyone is really talking about completely doing away with the Department of State.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 11:55:44 pm »
I can almost visualize the slogan on the  2016 campaign button now - Cruz with Walker
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn