Author Topic: The Defense Debacle (F-35) Bill Whittle  (Read 2191 times)

Offline famousdayandyear

Offline EdinVA

Re: The Defense Debacle (F-35) Bill Whittle
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 08:00:05 pm »
There is so much wrong with this it is not funny.

After the Korean War, the school of thought was that planes were flying too fast to engage/survive air to air combat so they designed the F-4 without a gun.  During the early years of Vietnam, they discovered that the theory was wrong and contracted to have a 20mm cannon added.  The F-4/F-105 were dual role aircraft and neither did any role really well.  The F-16 and F-15 were developed to provide unique capabilities, F-15 is air to air and the F-16 is close air.  Again, the military tried the dual role aircraft with the F-35 and of course it cannot compete with the specially designed aircraft like the F-15/F-16.

His reference to the mafia is especially condescending.  These are people trying to do the best they can for a client with unclear specifications, "build me something that has never been built before".

The only people who have a credible opinion on these things is those with their rear ends strapped in the seat, all the rest is BS.

I usually like Bill Whittle but he is way off the mark on this one.

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 08:05:59 pm »
There is so much wrong with this it is not funny.

After the Korean War, the school of thought was that planes were flying too fast to engage/survive air to air combat so they designed the F-4 without a gun.  During the early years of Vietnam, they discovered that the theory was wrong and contracted to have a 20mm cannon added.  The F-4/F-105 were dual role aircraft and neither did any role really well.  The F-16 and F-15 were developed to provide unique capabilities, F-15 is air to air and the F-16 is close air.  Again, the military tried the dual role aircraft with the F-35 and of course it cannot compete with the specially designed aircraft like the F-15/F-16.

His reference to the mafia is especially condescending.  These are people trying to do the best they can for a client with unclear specifications, "build me something that has never been built before".

The only people who have a credible opinion on these things is those with their rear ends strapped in the seat, all the rest is BS.

I usually like Bill Whittle but he is way off the mark on this one.

I have a problem with replacing the proven A10 for CAS.  Don't know his bio. but he is usually experienced and/or well-researched.  Just my opinion.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 08:12:35 pm »
I have a problem with replacing the proven A10 for CAS.  Don't know his bio. but he is usually experienced and/or well-researched.  Just my opinion.

Have not seen what they think they are going to replace the A10 with.
Close Air Support is vitally important to the guys on the ground and we cannot risk that...

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 09:16:39 pm »
Have not seen what they think they are going to replace the A10 with.
Close Air Support is vitally important to the guys on the ground and we cannot risk that...

As I understand it, and according to the video, the F-35 will replace the A10.
I saw a documentary about the designer of the A10--a genius.

I need to brush up on the specifics of the F35, but as I recall in the beginning (a long time ago), the F35 was to provide a flexible platform for variants across all services:  Navy, Marine, AF.  And the costs kept running up to currently one trillion.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 09:22:56 pm »
As I understand it, and according to the video, the F-35 will replace the A10.
I saw a documentary about the designer of the A10--a genius.

I need to brush up on the specifics of the F35, but as I recall in the beginning (a long time ago), the F35 was to provide a flexible platform for variants across all services:  Navy, Marine, AF.  And the costs kept running up to currently one trillion.

I would not get too hung up on the liberal media numbers.
Washington intends to buy 2,443, at a price tag of $382 billion.

Add in the $650 billion that the Government Accountability Office estimates is needed to operate and maintain the aircraft, and the total cost reaches a staggering $1 trillion.
That is about $150 million per jet.

They forget to tell us how long the $650 billion will last, 40 years?  Maybe not so bad.

The F-4 Phantom was around $20 million each in the 50's so take into consideration inflation over the years, maybe not so bad.

Info I can find on the cost of an F-16 is between $25 and $45 Million but that aircraft has been sold all around the world.
So far the F-35 is a US only salable aircraft so the manufacture has to get all his R&D Money out of one sale.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 09:32:37 pm by EdinVA »

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 09:27:18 pm »
Well, kiss the A-10 good-bye.

Building an aircraft that is all things to all people, for me, is a major flaw in design objectives.  Not only for aircraft, but for anything.  Obamacare is a good example.