Author Topic: No explanation by Obama on flags not lowered to half-staff for Chattanooga shootings..[update..will lower flag to half staff]  (Read 6686 times)

rangerrebew

Obama Has Not Ordered Flag Flown at Half-Staff for Servicemen Killed in Chattanooga Terror Attack

Kristinn Taylor Jul 19th, 2015 10:37 am —22 Comments

This Sunday marks three days since an Islamist gunman opened fire Thursday on military facilities in Chattanooga, Tennessee, killing five unarmed servicemen and wounding a policeman.

President Barack Obama still has not ordered the lowering of the U.S. flag to half-staff at the White House and federal properties as a sign of respect and mourning for those killed, even though he (and former President George W. Bush) did so for previous mass killings by lone gunmen.

In contrast it was only a matter of hours after the Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage last month before Obama bathed the White House in the rainbow hues of the LGBTQ movement.

Also, Obama issued same-day orders lowering the flag following the the July 20, 2012 Aurora, Colorado mass shooting, December 14, 2012 Sandy Hook, Connecticut mass shooting and the September 16, 2013 Washington Navy Yard mass shooting.

Obama ordered the flag flown at half-staff the day after the November 5, 2009 Fort Hood, Texas massacre.

President George W. Bush ordered the flag lowered for the April 16, 2007 Virginia Tech massacre the day after that attack.

Obama apparently did not order flags lowered following the Charleston mass shooting last month, however he went to Charleston and delivered the eulogy at the funeral for the Reverend Clementa Pinckney. Several state governors did issue orders to lower flags in their respective states to honor the Charleston victims.

Obama’s selectivity on whether to honor victims of terror attacks or mass shootings was in evidence in May when Obama made no public or written statement on the Islamist terror attack in Garland, Texas.

Obama vacationed in New York City this weekend. Meanwhile several state governors took steps to arm National Guard troops under their command and issued proclamations ordering flags in their respective states be flown at half-staff to honor those killed in the Chattanooga attack.

The Pentagon said the day after the attack it would continue to leave recruiters unarmed and unprotected, and ordered Marine recruiters to not wear their uniforms to work.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2015/07/obama-has-not-ordered-flag-flown-at-half-staff-for-servicemen-killed-in-chattanooga-terror-attack/
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 09:53:46 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline PzLdr

Don't forget that crackhead, Whitney Houston...
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline andy58-in-nh

I'd love to offer a blunt comment, but it would likely result in my being placed on some sort of official roster, of which I have heard tell.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Andy wrote above:
[[ I'd love to offer a blunt comment, but it would likely result in my being placed on some sort of official roster, of which I have heard tell. ]]

Post away, Andy.

You've been "on the roster" for quite some time now.

Pretty well "up there" on it, from what I've heard!  ;)

Offline andy58-in-nh

Andy wrote above:
[[ I'd love to offer a blunt comment, but it would likely result in my being placed on some sort of official roster, of which I have heard tell. ]]

Post away, Andy.

You've been "on the roster" for quite some time now.

Pretty well "up there" on it, from what I've heard!  ;)
I suppose I should be honored, given the ideological proclivities of those now in charge.

But perhaps I'm being unreasonable in thinking that on that day, an American President would have chosen to lower the flags in honor of our soldiers before issuing a proclamation celebrating the end of Ramadan.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.stripes.com/news/us/no-explanation-by-obama-on-flags-not-lowered-to-half-staff-for-chattanooga-shootings-1.358915?utm_source=Stars+and+Stripes+Emails&utm_campaign=Daily+Headlines&utm_medium=email

By Travis J. Tritten
Stars and Stripes
Published: July 20, 2015

WASHINGTON — The White House provided no explanation Monday amid questions over why the president had not ordered flags across the nation to half-staff in the wake of a Chattanooga, Tenn., shooting that killed five servicemembers.

Spokesman Josh Earnest said President Barack Obama offered condolences last week and may speak to veterans at VFW conference Tuesday about the shooting, but he had no further comment.

Obama has issued presidential proclamations that lowered flags at federal facilities and military bases after many mass shootings, including attacks at the Washington Navy Yard, Fort Hood in Texas, and Sandy Hook elementary in Connecticut. The lack of a proclamation following the deaths of four Marines and sailor in a possible terrorist attack Thursday by a 24-year-old Muslim man rankled some and spark online outrage.

“I don’t have more information about the status of the flag over the White House,” Earnest said, responding to a question at a daily briefing Monday with the press.

Obama is scheduled to speak at the National VFW Convention in Pittsburgh on Tuesday.

On the day of the shooting, Obama said he was offering deep condolences to the victims in Chattanooga and support to help them through the grief.

“My main message right now is, obviously, the deepest sympathies of the American people to the four Marines that have been killed,” he said, before the fifth servicemember died. “It is a heartbreaking circumstance for these individuals who have served our country with great valor to be killed in this fashion.”

Mohammad Youssef Abdulazeez, a 24-year-old electrical engineer from the city, attacked a recruiting office in a strip mall and fired a deadly barrage into a Navy and Marine Corps recruiting center nearby. He was killed by local police, and the FBI is now investigating for a motive.

The governor of Tennessee on Friday ordered flags in that state to fly at half-staff. Governors in New Hampshire, North Carolina, Wisconsin, Arkansas and Massachusetts have issued similar orders.

The mayor of Easton, Pa., a city north of Philadelphia, became a minor Facebook celebrity and received media coverage when he unilaterally decided Saturday to lower the city’s flag — a move he said should be ordered by the president or governor.

“Why wait? Our men were gunned down on our home soil,” Mayor Sal Panto Jr. wrote on his Facebook page under a photograph of the flag. His office did not return repeated calls for comment.

Obama ordered that flags be lowered to half-staff for four days after a gunman killed 12 people and injured others during a shooting rampage at the Washington Navy Yard in 2013. Flags were lowered for five days for the first Fort Hood shooting in 2009.

President George W. Bush called for flags to be lowered for six days after 32 people were murdered in an attack at Virginia Tech in April 2007.

Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Calif., has proposed legislation to arm recruiters against attacks similar to Chattanooga. On Monday, his staff criticized Obama for not issuing a proclamation to lower flags.

“They deserve our respect, and the significance of this event should be matched by the lowering of the flag,” said Joe Kasper, Hunter’s chief of staff. “It’s a simple gesture that will reaffirm to the military and millions of Americans that these servicemen will be rightly honored. This is one that shouldn’t take any second thought on the part of the White House.”
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 04:30:13 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Carling

He hates America and is doing all he can to tear her apart.  It's sickening on many levels, yet the GOP voters are more concerned with getting their perfect 100% ideological candidate and are busy arguing with each other.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 04:22:37 pm by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Millee

What could he possibly say besides "I'm an American-hating bleep"???  :chairbang:

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
WHITE HOUSE REVERSES AND ORDERS FLAGS FLOWN AT HALF-STAFF TO HONOR 5 VICTIMS OF CHATTANOOGA RAMPAGE
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
We've lost about 7,000 soldiers in the Middle East and over 1 million were wounded. How many times did we fly our flags at half-mast for them? How many for the hundreds of thousands of soldiers that lost their lives in Vietnam and the world wars? No disrespect to these marines, but a lot of soldiers have been ambushed and murdered by rage consumed extremists. Why is their loss more significant than the loss of so many others?
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline NavyCanDo

WHITE HOUSE REVERSES AND ORDERS FLAGS FLOWN AT HALF-STAFF TO HONOR 5 VICTIMS OF CHATTANOOGA RAMPAGE

Only after Boehner ordered Capitol flags at half-staff. Obama as Commander and Chief should have been out in front of this, but as usual he leads from behind. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline EdinVA

We've lost about 7,000 soldiers in the Middle East and over 1 million were wounded. How many times did we fly our flags at half-mast for them? How many for the hundreds of thousands of soldiers that lost their lives in Vietnam and the world wars? No disrespect to these marines, but a lot of soldiers have been ambushed and murdered by rage consumed extremists. Why is their loss more significant than the loss of so many others?

Because the federal government is responsible for national security and border protection.
Because we spend hundreds of billions of dollars each and every day for DHS, FBI, NSA,TSA and xyx to have champagne hot tub baths and week long taxpayer funded boondoggles to Vegas and they have FAILED on all accounts and when they fail, people die.
It is time they understand the extent of their failure and are held responsible.

This is not some academic exercise in constitutional interpretation, this is real and it is fatal.
Would you have the same question if these marines and sailors were related to you?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 04:51:41 pm by EdinVA »

Offline NavyCanDo

We have a  Holiday set aside to honor the fallen you speak of, Its called Memorial Day. The deaths of these soldiers on American soil is significant, and we should honor their sacrifice.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Dexter

Because the federal government is responsible for national security and border protection.

So you think we should be flying our flags at half-mast to make some kind of statement about national security? I thought this was about honoring the loss of the soldiers.

Because we spend hundreds of billions of dollars each and every day for DHS, FBI, NSA,TSA and xyx to have champagne hot tub baths and week long taxpayer funded boondoggles to Vegas and they have FAILED on all accounts and when they fail, people die.
It is time they understand the extent of their failure and are held responsible.

You haven't answered my question at all.
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

We have a  Holiday set aside to honor the fallen you speak of, Its called Memorial Day. The deaths of these soldiers on American soil is significant, and we should honor their sacrifice.

Memorial Day honors the marines that died in Chattanooga too. Why is dying here more significant than dying over there?
-Socrates

Offline musiclady

Obama is a weak, military-hating jerk who is only lowering the flag to pretend he gives a rip about those who died on our own soil at the hands of an Islamic terrorist.

He's despicable.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

Memorial Day honors the marines that died in Chattanooga too. Why is dying here more significant than dying over there?

Sometimes I think you just ask these questions to be provocative, and not because you've thought about what you're saying....

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Dexter

Sometimes I think you just ask these questions to be provocative, and not because you've thought about what you're saying....

If my question lacks thought then the answer should be obvious, no? Please fill me in, because I honestly don't see it.
-Socrates

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
He hates America and is doing all he can to tear her apart.  It's sickening on many levels, yet the GOP voters are more concerned with getting their perfect 100% ideological candidate and are busy arguing with each other.
See, it is easy to grow cynical and even sarcastic about "GOP voters." Join the club.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline musiclady

If my question lacks thought then the answer should be obvious, no? Please fill me in, because I honestly don't see it.

It IS obvious.   **nononono*

Offline aligncare

People need rituals in times of loss. Something that binds us as individuals who share a love of country.

Offline NavyCanDo

I hope you are not saying this just because Obama finally caved, because that would be disingenuous. If it was just John Boehner issuing the proclamation would you still be posting your opposition? 
As for what makes this different, a terrorist attack on our soil targeting our soldiers makes this personal.   I do not see Marines standing up against honoring the men by a presidential proclamation, In fact just the opposite is happening. Many have now gone on record as asking why the flags are not at half staff? part of which pressured the white house to do so.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Respect for Tradition. Some things we just "do." Revile in the morning, taps in the pm.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Dexter

People need rituals in times of loss. Something that binds us as individuals who share a love of country.

So it's not actually about the soldiers; it's about us. If it was about the soldiers the location they drew their last breath for this country would not determine the significance of their sacrifice.
-Socrates

Offline aligncare

Rituals, like funerals, are always about the living.