Author Topic: Gen. Odierno: Destroying ISIS Will Take '10 to 20 Years'  (Read 1092 times)

rangerrebew

Gen. Odierno: Destroying ISIS Will Take '10 to 20 Years'
« on: July 18, 2015, 08:57:57 am »

Gen. Odierno: Destroying ISIS Will Take '10 to 20 Years'

Friday, July 17, 2015 03:47 PM

By: Todd Beamon

The battle to defeat the Islamic State (ISIS) will last "10 to 20 years" — longer than previously indicated by the Obama administration, the Army's top general said Friday.

"In my mind, ISIS is a 10-to-20-year problem, it's not a two-year's problem," Gen. Ray Odierno, the Army chief of staff, told reporters, DefenseNews reports. "Now, I don't know what level it will be a problem, but it's a long-term problem."

Since the airstrikes against ISIS began last August, the Obama administration has only defined the campaign as a "years-long" battle to defeat and destroy the terrorist group, also known as ISIL.

In October, Army Gen. Lloyd Austin predicted that the jihadists would be "much degraded" by airstrikes a year from then.

Odierno's comments Friday marked the longest — and most specific — time frame a White House official has placed on the anti-ISIS effort.

"The administration has said 'three to five' years," he said, DefenseNews reports. "I think in order to defeat ISIL, it's going to take longer than that.

"This movement is growing right now, and so I think it's going to take us a bit longer than we originally thought."

Odierno cautioned, however, that military action cannot solely annihilate the Islamic State, DefenseNews reports. He is retiring next month.

"To defeat them, is not just a military issue," he told reporters. "It is an economic issue. It is a diplomatic issue. It is an issue of moderate versus extremists and it is about also, potentially, having the capability to root them out of the places they now hold in Iraq and Syria."

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Ray-Odierno-destroying-ISIS-war/2015/07/17/id/657735/
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 08:58:35 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Gen. Odierno: Destroying ISIS Will Take '10 to 20 Years'
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 01:47:11 am »
It's going to take longer than that.

And ultimately, it won't matter.

Because this decades "isis" will be superseded by some other group operating under allah's orders, as per the quran.

Yes, we will have to fight isis. But realize that in the greater scheme of things, they represent only one branch of a great tree.

The struggle will not be over, so long as the tree remains standing...

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 01:54:11 am »
Get a new General, then.

We wiped out Japan, Germany and Italy in less than four years, starting from scratch over most of the world's continents.

To do so we suited up ten percent of our population (16 million), built planes, ships, tanks, weapons and ammunition, and sent them where the fighting should be done--as far from our shores as possible.

Instead of "we are still trying to learn the motivation of the shooter" we need an announcement of "the enemy attacked us again at home."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 02:10:39 am »
Another from General Ray Odierno:

"I think we have to be careful about over-arming ourselves, and I'm not talking about where you end up attacking each other," Gen. Ray Odierno, chief of staff of the Army, told reporters. Instead, he said, it's more about "accidental discharges and everything else that goes along with having weapons that are loaded that causes injuries."

(Yep.  That "over-arming" thing can be so b-a-a-d)
So why do we call it the ARM-Y?

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 02:14:36 am »
Obama appointee... I would expect nothing less

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 02:15:37 am »
Obama appointee... I would expect nothing less

Exactly...next Pres better fire this *yes man*
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 02:22:32 am »
General (Four Star "Fightin Joe") Dunford, current Marine commandant, will be Chief of Staff in September.  There's an ongoing friction between the Army moving into Marine space aboard Navy vessels deployed in the South China Sea.

Waiting for some fur to fly.  General Dunford is a plain-speaking, no nonsense kind of guy.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 03:26:10 am »
Get a new General, then.

We wiped out Japan, Germany and Italy in less than four years, starting from scratch over most of the world's continents.

To do so we suited up ten percent of our population (16 million), built planes, ships, tanks, weapons and ammunition, and sent them where the fighting should be done--as far from our shores as possible.

Instead of "we are still trying to learn the motivation of the shooter" we need an announcement of "the enemy attacked us again at home."

That was an entirely different America...one could say 180 degrees from today's toothless vegan, global warming warrior.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 03:23:10 pm »
famousdayandyear wrote above:
[[ General (Four Star "Fightin Joe") Dunford, current Marine commandant, will be Chief of Staff in September.  There's an ongoing friction between the Army moving into Marine space aboard Navy vessels deployed in the South China Sea.
Waiting for some fur to fly.  General Dunford is a plain-speaking, no nonsense kind of guy. ]]

Sumthin' tells me that when the time comes, this guy -is not- going "to assume the position".

Can't speculate as to what the reason will be, but if the obammunists don't want him there....