Author Topic: Listen up: Windows 10 updates will be mandatory for home users  (Read 450 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Microsoft, which used to offer several update options to consumers, is changing that with WIndows 10. Going forward, home users must accept automated software updates.

Consumers buying Windows 10 starting July 29 should know that software updates and patches will be mandatory going forward.

The Register noted the change to Microsoft’s licensing agreement in a report Thursday.

With the current Windows 8.1 release, users could opt to delay or even nix individual updates, according to the Verge. Allowing users to pick the time for downloads is great for people who want to make sure the work happens overnight or at a time they won’t be using their computer.

Mandatory updates make sense in that updated-and-patched software is likely more secure and that the latest fixes and features are deployed. But they can also be irksome — patches can futz with and even break current applications. And, for people with tight data caps on their broadband access, these update-or-else mandates could be a problem

A Microsoft MSFT -0.46% spokesperson confirmed the changes to Re/Code, saying they were made to keep customers secure and to deliver “Windows as a service.”

Business customers can turn off automatic updates so that their IT departments or administrators can test them before deploying

http://fortune.com/2015/07/17/windows-10-mandatory-updates/

That is .... irritating. I don't like updates downloading or running without my permission at the best of times, but to make it mandatory and with no control over it is really upsetting.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink