Author Topic: Donald Trump: ‘I’m actually a conservative with a heart’  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jul/16/donald-trump-im-actually-a-conservative-with-a-hea/
Businessman Donald Trump on Thursday said the country has to provide health care for the poor and that he’s “actually a conservative with a heart” who can work out deals with hospitals to make it happen.

“I want people taken care of in the country, okay? You can call it anything you want, but I want — including people that don’t have anything,” Mr. Trump said on “The John Fredericks Show.” about “We gotta do that.”

Mr. Fredericks, a Virginia-based radio host who has predicted that Mr. Trump will win the 2016 Republican presidential nomination, had asked Mr. Trump how to reconcile his statements critical of President Obama’s health care law with past statements in which Mr. Trump was warm to the notion of universal health care coverage.

“You know, I’m a very conservative guy … number one, the people that can do it, we’re going to get them plans that are so good and we’re going to break the borders, we’re going to go [to] the private plans,” Mr. Trump said. “A lot of people had plans they loved before Obamacare came along. You probably did. I have friends that had really good plans — now they have horrible plans and they’re paying five times more for [them].

“We’re going to get great plans, we’re not going to have huge costs — the biggest thing the government has to do is make sure these companies are very, very solvent, you know, that they’re very strong,” he continued. “Because what you don’t want is having a company collapse, right? So that’s the only function of the government.

“Then on top of that, the people that can’t afford to do that, we have to help them out at the lower level, we have to help them out,” he said. “And I would make deals with hospitals and I’d make deals with people where they can get them care, John. I mean, you can’t have a guy that has no money that’s sick and he can’t go see a doctor, he can’t go see a hospital. I just don’t think [you] can have that, ‘cause I’m actually a conservative with a heart. And if I lose votes for that, I don’t really care.

“Because you have to take care of poor people — I mean, think of yourself: you’re really sick and you’re not allowed to see a doctor. I mean, it’s almost like, sort of … being in hell,” Mr. Trump said. “So we have to take care of people that are poor. We have to do it. And we can make a plan, we can work a deal — I can work a deal with hospitals that’ll be great for everybody and they’ll be able to go there.

“You’re not going to want to do that — it won’t be pretty, it won’t be as nice as the other — but at least they’re being taken care of,” he said. “And under Obamacare, they’re actually not being taken care of very well, either. But Obamacare is a disaster; it’s going to cost a fortune and it really kicks in in ‘16 and it has to be repealed and replaced and we can do a great job with that, I have no doubt — I’m very expert on that stuff.

“You know, I have thousands of people working for me and I have great plans and … they got lucky but I have good people so I guess I got lucky, too,” he said.

Mr. Fredericks said he’s “the only media person this side of the Milky Way” that’s predicting Mr. Trump, who has surged to first in a poll released this week on the 2016 GOP field, will ultimately win the nomination.

Mr. Trump said “you may be right” and that he will work hard to make him right.

“I’m always right,” Mr. Fredericks said.

“You are always right — have a good time John, thank you very much,” Mr. Trump said.

Government must pay for poor people says Trump to the heartless conservatives.

I knew this was going to be fun soon.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Donald Trump: ‘I’m actually a conservative with a heart’
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 10:56:03 am »
Because what you don’t want is having a company collapse, right? So that’s the only function of the government.

So - too big to fail crops up once more.

Trump's hair is writing his speeches now. That's a conflict of interest.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

bkepley

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 12:01:46 pm »
No, you're a big mouth with a microphone and a stage.  That's all.  Anyone can say something stupid like that.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 12:51:47 pm »
Donald Trump: ‘I’m actually a conservative with a heart’

...and he keeps it on a shelf in his office.  :smokin:

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 12:54:16 pm »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jul/16/donald-trump-im-actually-a-conservative-with-a-hea/
Government must pay for poor people says Trump to the heartless conservatives.

I knew this was going to be fun soon.

Aside from Trumps lack of sound byte polish, what should we do with the truly poor?
Society has never shirked from providing support for those on hard times.
Not talking about the abusers....

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 02:12:04 am »
Aside from Trumps lack of sound byte polish, what should we do with the truly poor?
Society has never shirked from providing support for those on hard times.
Not talking about the abusers....
You are correct that society (local church's, charity organizations, and local governments have always helped the poor) Is Trump running for President of society, or the United STATES?

Was Johnson's "Great Society" OK for you?  Most conservatives I know think poverty programs are best left to local and state government...they think Washington does a poor job at almost everything it does and can't possibly solve a problem like poverty with a one size fits all states solution.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 12:20:41 pm »
You are correct that society (local church's, charity organizations, and local governments have always helped the poor) Is Trump running for President of society, or the United STATES?

Was Johnson's "Great Society" OK for you?  Most conservatives I know think poverty programs are best left to local and state government...they think Washington does a poor job at almost everything it does and can't possibly solve a problem like poverty with a one size fits all states solution.

The churches have abandoned their duties long ago and the government has had to pick up the tab.
I do agree that state/local governments should be working on this and no, Johnson was a belligerent Texas good ole boy that abused his position and our trust.

But in a debate with liberals, your first task is to disarm them.  If you stand hard on every topic, they will forge every position into a hammer and beat you to death with it regardless of how many lies it takes to do it.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 12:58:38 pm »
Was Johnson's "Great Society" OK for you?

How do we know the "great society" did nothing but bad?
We focus on the negative (failures and abuses) but never hear about any success and that is true no matter what the conversation is.
I am sure there were people that were able to climb up the ladder with help, but equally positive that there have been, still are and always will be those that abuse ANY and ALL efforts at providing support to those in need.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 02:04:22 pm »
Trump in his own words is saying Governments job should be to take care of the poor. Well we don't need Trump to do that. We already have an administration and an entire political party that feels the same.

Reagan in his own words said give "temporary" aid to those who can't help themselves, while you get them back into the private industry job market.

One of these philosophy's grows the ranks of the poor, the other reduces it. Can you guess which?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 02:04:48 pm by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn