Author Topic: Michelle Obama's cousin to serve as first ‘black chief rabbi’  (Read 808 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Rabbi Capers Funnye of Chicago was nominated to become what an international organization is calling the first “black chief rabbi” of the 21st century.

A statement from the International Israelite Board of Rabbis declared that Funnye would serve as the “titular head of a worldwide community of Black Jews.” Along with the United States, the community has branches in the Caribbean, South Africa, Uganda and Nigeria.

Funnye, a cousin of first lady Michelle Obama, is expected to officially assume his duties in the fall.

His nomination was unanimous; Funnye ran unopposed. The position has been vacant since the 1999 death of Rabbi Levi ben Levy.

Funnye is the spiritual leader of the Beth Shalom Bnai Zaken Ethiopian Hebrew Congregation and the only black rabbi on the Chicago Board of Rabbis. He was ordained by the Israelite Rabbinical Academy in New York and not by one of the mainstream Jewish branches.

His goal as chief rabbi is to build closer ties with the Ethiopian Jewish community that was transplanted to Israel, the International Israelite Board said in its statement.

The Black Hebrew Israelites are not recognized as Jews by the mainstream Jewish community. Funnye converted to Judaism, the Chicago Tribune reported.

Funnye has traveled to Israel to meet with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Read more: http://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/Michelle-Obamas-cousin-to-serve-as-first-black-chief-rabbi-408794
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online mountaineer

Re: Michelle Obama's cousin to serve as first ‘black chief rabbi’
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 12:33:55 pm »
... and not by one of the mainstream Jewish branches
I guessed as much.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 01:05:02 pm »

Capers Funyye = Funny Capers?

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 08:56:02 pm »

Capers Funyye = Funny Capers?
Those tangy little flower bud things you toss into Italian cuisine? So confusing.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 10:37:47 pm »
Obama was never vetted in any significant way. The highest office in the land, yet the media was completely disinterested in learning anything about the man who wanted to be president.

All they knew was that he was cool and he was black. That was enough for them.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 10:38:57 pm by aligncare »

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 10:47:44 pm »
Interesting article on a few points.

First, there is a group called 'Black Hebrews' in Oakland (I think), all Black of course, who are basically thugs and a 'gang', who claim that every figure mentioned in the Bible was in fact Black. They are antisemites who call themselves Jews, (if you can believe such a thing could ever exist).  They are militant and are not normally allowed to enter Israel. Their thing is that all Jews are Black people, and the actual Jews are all liars. Silly nonsense. But, people buy into it.

However, there are real Black Jews. There were airlifts from Africa to Israel of Black Jews.

Also, I am not sure what a "Chief Rabbi" is? A Rabbi is a rabbi. Maybe they sit on the Bet Din and conduct weddings and divorces an property settlements. I guess?

If you are in fact a Rabbi, witch in this case is questionable to say the least, then I am not quite sure what would make you a "Chief", or who or what would determine that you are, in fact, a "Chief Rabbi"? I don't even know what that means?

There have been Rabbis who were very much revered, respected, and in some cases almost worshipped, but I never heard them called a 'Chief'. Maybe it is just me.

You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 10:59:25 pm »
We have Chief Rabbi's here and in Europe. Sort of the point man for dealing with the local nabobs and their goons. Might be a terminology thing? Most of Jpost's target readership are Europe based, judging by the stories and the language they tend to use.

As to how they are selected etc though - I've got more idea of how the Dali Lama reincarnates, sorry. Was hoping you knew!  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink