Author Topic: Ad on FreeRepublic?  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Carling

Ad on FreeRepublic?
« on: July 13, 2015, 02:20:01 am »
I use TOS as a news aggregate only, but has anyone else not only had ads there in the past two days, but also virus attempts?   One could conclude that they are now selling ad space, but have almost zero safety measures for those ads.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 02:21:50 am by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Ad on FreeRepublic?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 02:45:28 am »
I use TOS as a news aggregate only, but has anyone else not only had ads there in the past two days, but also virus attempts?   One could conclude that they are now selling ad space, but have almost zero safety measures for those ads.

Hmmm...I don't see any ads...I wonder if my add-on Ad Block on Firefox is blocking them..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 02:53:07 am »
I've thought about doing this to help pay the bills here..I wonder how lucrative it is..something I need to look into maybe.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 02:58:02 am »
Hmmm...I don't see any ads...I wonder if my add-on Ad Block on Firefox is blocking them..

My mouse's built in bullshit filter won't execute clicks on that URL.

Can't help you guys.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 09:15:02 am »
Not getting any ads, even after disabling Adblock. You might want to run a full scan with Malwarebytes, just in case you picked up a little bug on your computer from somewhere.

Myst, all I can tell you is they aren't very lucrative for a smaller, low traffic site - I have removed ads from mine as it wasn't worth the irritation to the readers. Here gets enough traffic to maybe make them worth the aggravation - I don't know.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 10:28:20 am by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 01:34:02 pm »
Judging by what EC's saying, yeah, it sounds like there's already a trojan on your computer. Run Malwarebytes, and if that doesn't work, well, it will probably take some aggressive pinpointing to see what got onto your computer.

The only "ads" I see on FR are for their quarterly Freepathons.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 02:56:37 pm »
I hate ads.  What I really despise are sites that you can't even hover a cursor over any area on the screen without obnoxious things popping up - I get the hell off of those sites!  I can understand why you would consider it though Nancy.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 03:59:02 pm »
Download and run TDSSKiller.

It's free and very effective in tandem with Malwarebytes.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 06:07:57 pm »
Judging by what EC's saying, yeah, it sounds like there's already a trojan on your computer. Run Malwarebytes, and if that doesn't work, well, it will probably take some aggressive pinpointing to see what got onto your computer.

The only "ads" I see on FR are for their quarterly Freepathons.

Which seem to run year round.
The Republic is lost.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 06:12:55 pm »
I hate ads.  What I really despise are sites that you can't even hover a cursor over any area on the screen without obnoxious things popping up - I get the hell off of those sites!  I can understand why you would consider it though Nancy.

Well they are aggravating and I won't do it..but I may have to run a mini thon to help cover upcoming expenses
Support the USO

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 06:34:38 pm »
I went to check FR and didn't see any ads. I looked at the source code of the page and don't see any ad triggers either. You my have a toolbar or app that is causing them or worse, malware. I would download and run Malware bytes to be safe.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 07:47:06 pm »

I will never...never click on Beck's site...The Blaze.  Or sadly, Breitbart.

or.....

"30 pics of adorable pets with children....wait until you see #27!!!"       :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 02:49:05 am »

You almost certainly have malware on your system that has nothing to do with FR.